follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
bbbrz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Drives: BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New member - from RS3 to 2022 BRZ

Hey all!

I lost my 2020 RS3 to a T bone, a guy with no insurance ran a red light and fucked me up. Car totaled and I got a large check from my insurance. I plan to buy a BRZ outright in cash, (2022/2023) and wanted to start looking at mods. I plan to dump about 8k into the BRZ, maybe 12 if I can find enough mods to peak my interest. Wheels, Turbo kit, and some clean visual mods, nothing crazy like air ride or an engine swap.

I've heard good things about the 2.4 so far, a step up from the 2.0 engine. Any good beginner articles or Youtube videos you guys can point me towards so I can learn a bit about this platform?


bbbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbrz For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-15-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,774
Thanks: 14,056
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you sure a BRZ is the right car for what you want?

As much as I love welcoming people into the community, it sounds like a lot of work to get the BRZ to the point that you'd enjoy having it. You're almost better off buying a car that's already made turbocharged from factory and has supporting mods and stuff.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
dowroa
Old Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 293
Thanks: 527
Thanked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can you tell us the reason you want a BRZ at all?

At this point with that much cash, I would tell you just to get a first gen and put an LSX into it.. or just buy a used Corvette.

Adding a turbo to Boxers and their oiling issues is just a bad idea.

Why not look at something that can take power and do... whatever it is you want a car like this to do?
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
bbbrz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Drives: BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
Can you tell us the reason you want a BRZ at all?

At this point with that much cash, I would tell you just to get a first gen and put an LSX into it.. or just buy a used Corvette.

Adding a turbo to Boxers and their oiling issues is just a bad idea.

Why not look at something that can take power and do... whatever it is you want a car like this to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Are you sure a BRZ is the right car for what you want?

As much as I love welcoming people into the community, it sounds like a lot of work to get the BRZ to the point that you'd enjoy having it. You're almost better off buying a car that's already made turbocharged from factory and has supporting mods and stuff.

I've built a handful of cars from the ground up. I bought the Rs3 when I got tired of modding every single piece of the car (Sometimes it seems never ending) and thought a well rounded high HP starting platform would allow me to mod just a few bits a pieces. I thought I would enjoy the car more if I didn't have to wrench on it myself every month.

Don't get me wrong, I will miss the Rs3 every day until I die, but the 3rd gen RS3 looks like plastic garbage, and finding an 2018-2020 replacement that hasnt' been ran to the ground is not something I'm willing to gamble 60+k on. I had fun with the Rs3, it was a blast, however:
Rs5 would be an issue riding in the city I work in.
BMW's have never appealed to me. That cheap interior looks like shit.
I hated the 370Z
I've looked at Mazda, Jaguar, Ford (considered a GT350), Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota and Volkswagen.


I had an GTI and loved it, but I really dislike the way the car looks now (the Golf R).
I really wanted to love the Honda Civic Si and I know it has a unlimited potential for tuning, but it ultimately wasn't for me at the price I wanted.

I can purchase a 2022 BRZ for around 27k with less then 10k miles. With my essentially unlimited bank for this car, I think I could build something I really enjoy driving.

That's all I'm interested in. Enjoying the car. I've hard amazing things about the BRZ so now's my chance to jump head first in and start modding.

Cars priced up at the $70-90k mark would allow me very little to no modding money. Buying a solid car at 27k means I can take this car in any direction I want without much hesitation. I plan on swapping out the stock wheels and tires, I hear Primacy tires are absolute garbage. This was the same with the paper thin Pirelli tires on the RS3. I also plan to upgrade the brakes and I've talked to Induktion Motorsports which is near me, who have FI'ed a good number of these applications without fail.
bbbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbrz For This Useful Post:
dowroa (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:28 PM   #5
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,774
Thanks: 14,056
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrz View Post
I've built a handful of cars from the ground up. I bought the Rs3 when I got tired of modding every single piece of the car (Sometimes it seems never ending) and thought a well rounded high HP starting platform would allow me to mod just a few bits a pieces. I thought I would enjoy the car more if I didn't have to wrench on it myself every month.

Don't get me wrong, I will miss the Rs3 every day until I die, but the 3rd gen RS3 looks like plastic garbage, and finding an 2018-2020 replacement that hasnt' been ran to the ground is not something I'm willing to gamble 60+k on. I had fun with the Rs3, it was a blast, however:
Rs5 would be an issue riding in the city I work in.
BMW's have never appealed to me. That cheap interior looks like shit.
I hated the 370Z
I've looked at Mazda, Jaguar, Ford (considered a GT350), Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota and Volkswagen.


I had an GTI and loved it, but I really dislike the way the car looks now (the Golf R).
I really wanted to love the Honda Civic Si and I know it has a unlimited potential for tuning, but it ultimately wasn't for me at the price I wanted.


I can purchase a 2022 BRZ for around 27k with less then 10k miles. With my essentially unlimited bank for this car, I think I could build something I really enjoy driving.



That's all I'm interested in. Enjoying the car. I've hard amazing things about the BRZ so now's my chance to jump head first in and start modding. I always tell people starting out with these you should take about a year to really learn and drive the car, and then start modding to improve things you feel it lacks.


Cars priced up at the $70-90k mark would allow me very little to no modding money. Buying a solid car at 27k means I can take this car in any direction I want without much hesitation.
I guess our points are just, it's kinda ironic to say you've heard amazing things about the BRZ and then immediately want to start modding.

What amazing things have you heard exactly? A lot of what I would say are the good parts of it surround it being an amazing momentum car for cornering due to already low COG, plus being NA for quick throttle response. Modding it a ton reduces that IMO. Sure a turbo makes it quicker but is it worth the extra work of the supporting stuff, tunes, etc.

Anyway thats my 2cents.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:40 PM   #6
bbbrz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Drives: BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I guess our points are just, it's kinda ironic to say you've heard amazing things about the BRZ and then immediately want to start modding.

What amazing things have you heard exactly? A lot of what I would say are the good parts of it surround it being an amazing momentum car for cornering due to already low COG, plus being NA for quick throttle response. Modding it a ton reduces that IMO. Sure a turbo makes it quicker but is it worth the extra work of the supporting stuff, tunes, etc.

Anyway thats my 2cents.
I guess I would rather throw 30k into a 30k car, then own a stock 60k car. The number 1 complaint I hear is that it lacks power. I have an unlimited bank to fix that power issue. I could FI it, I could do full bolt-ons, I could swap the engine if I wanted to. It's a toy car for me.

What I love; Great handling, 10/10 for looks, parts are so insanely cheap, the interior is a pro in my book, the manual transmission is another huge pro for the driving experience.

I am also purchasing a Q3 for a daily driver, so the enjoyment I will get out of this car, just working on it myself will bring me endless hours of joy.

But I made the post to find out how the forum feels, since all my builds have been on forums for every car I've done, I know the forum members are deeply connected to the cars they mod, and they have a ton of insight.
I'm not looking for 500HP. I know that's not realistically achievable.
bbbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:45 PM   #7
dowroa
Old Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 293
Thanks: 527
Thanked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I will just state that oiling is the biggest issue, so if you are going to solve anything, solve that.

Also, if I may, ensure that you have some outlet to use the car in that regulates what you can and cannot do. That way you are getting performance with a purpose.

If I could go back and do it again, that is what I would tell anyone looking to mod.

Aside from that or a c5 z06, I wish you luck and glad you are not hurt (?) from you accident.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:56 PM   #8
bbbrz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Drives: BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
I will just state that oiling is the biggest issue, so if you are going to solve anything, solve that.

I'll look into this! Thank you, this is what I'm looking for. Can you elaborate? Is this the gasket prematurely failing due to heat, causing oil to leak? Does the engine burn oil like it's gas? RTV failure?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
Also, if I may, ensure that you have some outlet to use the car in that regulates what you can and cannot do. That way you are getting performance with a purpose.

If I could go back and do it again, that is what I would tell anyone looking to mod.

Aside from that or a c5 z06, I wish you luck and glad you are not hurt (?) from you accident.

I can't stand Corvettes, and the newer ones solidify that for me. It's the least practical car I've ever seen. I looked closely at the Supra and the GT-R as well. Honestly, if I get the car, and in a year I don't enjoy it the way I think I will, it'll be sold. I'm not willing to die on the BRZ hill, but I am finally in a position to give it a shot.


No, I wasn't hurt in the accident, the Audi took care of me honestly, because I could have been. Don't sleep on those side curtain airbags. It may have saved my life.
bbbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbrz For This Useful Post:
dowroa (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:10 PM   #9
dowroa
Old Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 293
Thanks: 527
Thanked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3552644
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:24 PM   #10
bbbrz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Drives: BRZ
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
Thank you! Haven’t learned how to “thank” a post yet.
bbbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbrz For This Useful Post:
dowroa (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:53 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 11,330
Thanks: 35,240
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrz View Post
I'll look into this! Thank you, this is what I'm looking for. Can you elaborate? Is this the gasket prematurely failing due to heat, causing oil to leak? Does the engine burn oil like it's gas? RTV failure?
it's also a bit early to tell with the 2.4's, especially considering the ecu's were only just officially cracked, and tunes aren't available to the public, but the 2.0's had some relatively consistent oiling issues with the center pairs of pistons sharing a singular oiling tube. anyone that spun a bearing always spun #2 or #3. never saw #1, or #4 spun bearings.

that thread might also link to it, i don't remember, there was some debate on the horizontal engine layout encouraging side-specific oil starvation in high-G situations simply because there's so much distance between the sides of the motor to allow oil to 'slosh' to the opposite side of the motor.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (01-18-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:36 AM   #12
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,084
Thanks: 109
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrz View Post
I guess I would rather throw 30k into a 30k car, then own a stock 60k car. The number 1 complaint I hear is that it lacks power. I have an unlimited bank to fix that power issue. I could FI it, I could do full bolt-ons, I could swap the engine if I wanted to. It's a toy car for me.

What I love; Great handling, 10/10 for looks, parts are so insanely cheap, the interior is a pro in my book, the manual transmission is another huge pro for the driving experience.

I am also purchasing a Q3 for a daily driver, so the enjoyment I will get out of this car, just working on it myself will bring me endless hours of joy.

But I made the post to find out how the forum feels, since all my builds have been on forums for every car I've done, I know the forum members are deeply connected to the cars they mod, and they have a ton of insight.
I'm not looking for 500HP. I know that's not realistically achievable.
Have you test drove one of these yet?
I get the feeling that you'll know exactly what you want out of it once you drive it and it may or may not be everything you think it needs based on what is the known weaknesses for this car.

I also hope you have adjusted some of your expectations of this car based on your previous one (you are going from a $60,000 level car to a $30,000 level car, so i guess im saying dont go into this thinking that this is a car COSTS $30,000 but rather this IS a $30,000 dollar car...if you know what i mean)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:53 AM   #13
DriveDriftDogfight86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT; '13 FR-S 6MT
Location: California
Posts: 105
Thanks: 602
Thanked 112 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrz View Post
BMW's have never appealed to me. That cheap interior looks like shit.

Uhh...you're about to be in for a hell of a disappointment around here
__________________
2023 Subaru BRZ Limited - 6MT (weekend)
2013 Scion FR-S - 6MT (daily)
DriveDriftDogfight86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #14
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 11,330
Thanks: 35,240
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveDriftDogfight86 View Post
Uhh...you're about to be in for a hell of a disappointment around here
i dunno, i prefer the 86's interior over a bmw.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MA86 ANNUAL CAR SHOW - PUB DOG: THE BIG ONE 2022 - September 18, 2022 in Columbia, MD JakeRogue Mid-Atlantic 41 10-03-2022 07:37 AM
2022 GR86 Premium Results @ Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2022 Competition Hachiroku GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) 13 02-12-2022 11:44 PM
2022 BRZ Limited Results @ Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2022 Competition Hachiroku BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics 20 02-10-2022 11:44 AM
new member vien BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 1 01-20-2015 03:53 PM
Possible new member agray56 CANADA 3 02-14-2013 11:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.