follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
FRS-HHH
igotthatpurp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question recommendations for coilovers..help!!

i have about $1500-1600 to spend on a good suspension..i dont have anymore since holidays are coming up and my little one's bday so thats about all i have for the next 2-3 months to spend..i just purchased the gram lights 57dr 5x100 18x8.5 +35 front and 18x9.5 + 35 rear..any good recommendations on good coilovers for that set up ..my FR-S is mostly a DD but once or twice a month i might take it out to the track and ..at first i thought about springs but then i said coilovers would prob be the best choice..i was looking at Tein Flex coilovers but then i started hearing some things about the valves or something like that..then i saw the :
Cusco Street Spec A FRS / BRZ No Mounts
Model: 965 60J CB
Ships from Factory
Manufactured by: Cusco
Price: $1,707.00 $1,536.30
Save: $170.70 off

any help? suggestions? i have been doing some searching but i like opinions also from you guys..thanks a bunch for your time and replies
FRS-HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
dale.m
Captain Slow

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The new Buddy Club suspension is supposed to be good for those who need a setup for the street and the track. It is in your price range as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I like the Cusco's myself, they might end up on my car eventually after more reviews come out. You could probably get the Fortune Auto's with Swift springs and roller bearing upgrade in your budget as well. FT86 Speed Factory mentioned something on Facebook about some kind of update on the Fortune's this week, you might check with them and see.

Also don't forget to allow a couple hundred bucks for either rear camber adjustment bushings or lower control arms so you can align it.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
FRS-HHH
igotthatpurp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I like the Cusco's myself, they might end up on my car eventually after more reviews come out. You could probably get the Fortune Auto's with Swift springs and roller bearing upgrade in your budget as well. FT86 Speed Factory mentioned something on Facebook about some kind of update on the Fortune's this week, you might check with them and see.

Also don't forget to allow a couple hundred bucks for either rear camber adjustment bushings or lower control arms so you can align it.
do i need both or just one? i heard the whiteline's rear camber bushings are good..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
wait.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
You don't need both and empower may be right about waiting. I bet there will be some holiday sales coming up along with new products being released at SEMA.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I would wait as well.

Konis yellows + a good set of springs (RCE Yellows) + some key bushings and alignment parts is going to be awesome set-up for the money. Should be able to get swaybars in there and still be under budget.

That way you're upgrading the full system rather than just getting coilovers...leaving the rest of the system far behind. And you're doing it with a very good damper.

The damper itself is the key to the system, and Koni makes a darn good one. The lower end coilovers have a lot of other "features" but their damping is not on par with Koni. I'd choose better damping over height adjustability every time.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
gmookher (10-17-2012), JoeBoxer (10-17-2012), raul (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Something to consider as well, if you have the ability of saving up just a bit more, then KW's would be something to look at, as their quality, their performance is unmatched. A lot of these other coilovers are great, don't get me wrong, a lot of them I would look at and seriously consider as well, but honestly at this point, nothing will be as outstanding as KW is on, and off the track.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
YoKeutla

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I would wait as well.

Konis yellows + a good set of springs (RCE Yellows) + some key bushings and alignment parts is going to be awesome set-up for the money. Should be able to get swaybars in there and still be under budget.

That way you're upgrading the full system rather than just getting coilovers...leaving the rest of the system far behind. And you're doing it with a very good damper.

The damper itself is the key to the system, and Koni makes a darn good one. The lower end coilovers have a lot of other "features" but their damping is not on par with Koni. I'd choose better damping over height adjustability every time.

- Andrew
You can't really argue anything that Andrew is saying here. From what you are trying to accomplish with the type of driving that you do, this would probably be the best setup for the money you have to spend.

This is good honest advice and We can't even sell RCE products!

Even after all this discussion and you are still set on getting coilovers for the adjustability, let us know and we will fit you into something that works well for your driving and your budget.

Cheers!:happy0180:
YO
YoKeutla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YoKeutla For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You could get these. I have the same set on mine and I love them.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19941
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Really depends on what you want out of it.

If you want to re-use the Stock tophats those Cuscos wouldn't be too bad, but if you're going to do that I'd just go Kw V3s, they will re-use stock hats but they will be a nicer setup compared to the Cusco's IMO.

Or if you want a full replacement kit I think the BC Racing coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade is the best bang for the buck setup at under $1300. They replace the front tophats with caber plates and the rear hats with Solid/Rubber insert mounts. They ride really well with the Swifts and give you Spring Preload, height, and damping adjustments. All a good thing if you want an aggressive setup for track use.

If you don't care for all the adjustments you can do a Spring and Shock combo.
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
FRS-HHH
igotthatpurp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I would wait as well.

- Andrew
i PM'ed you before on how to purchase the lite kit and you never replied bro
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
take everything with a grain of salt. i doubt these people have had more than one aftermarket coilover for the same car. without comparison, this is all just hyperbole. it would be smart to talk to vendors and it would be even smarter to wait to see what the fastest frs track cars are running
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
ModBargains

Drives: FRS, M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
To my knowledge most track FRS are running KW coilovers including Greddy's Scion FRS drift car:

ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote