follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I hate parking enforcers

ok so i work downtown and parking is expensive. a friend works for a private company and they have a private lot that's just outside downtown so he told me to park there. i've been doing that for just under a year with no issues.

recently he started working at another location and i wasn't aware of that, and apparently they hired bylaw to ticket vehicles no registered to the lot.

i've been parking somewhere else since since february 8 cause i got a parking pass for the month.

just now i got a ticket in the mail for $50 with the offense "park on private property with public access" with the date of january 30. i didn't even get a hard copy ticket on january 30, and i just got the letter in the mail. i'm going to try to argue this ticket but i still don't mind paying the $50.

my issue is that i didn't get an actually ticket on my windshield on january 30, and i've parked there 6 more times since that day. what if they ticketed me every single day but i didn't even get a ticket?

what the fuck
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I would contact the enforcement agency to check for other citations to make sure there really arent more.

Though not sure what you can really argue unless your buddy was authorized to allow others to park there since you knew it was a private lot

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Atticus808

i don't mine paying the $50.

but would they void the other ones if there are any other tickets? since i wouldn't know without a hard copy ticket
Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
i don't mine paying the $50.

but would they void the other ones if there are any other tickets? since i wouldn't know without a hard copy ticket
No. Why would they void others just because you didn't know you got the first one? You weren't supposed to be parking there in the first place so it isn't really an argument that you would have stopped if you knew you got a ticket.
Cole (02-26-2017), PandaSPUR (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
Atticus808

i know what you mean, but it would be nice to have a warning of the enforcement since they just started doing it. a warning as in here is your ticket for your offense, not a warning as in "i'll let you go this time....."

kind of like photoradar being in the same spot for multiple consecutive days. they are always in spots that speed limits are debateable and that's why they hide in those spots. for sample, there's a spot where they hide on the overpass to catch speeders coming into the city. it goes from a limit of 100kmph to 90kmph really really quickly and it's still a highway. more dangerous to hit your brakes to slow down than it is to coast from 100 to 90, but the radar is set up in a spot that is guaranteed to make money. so if someone is new to the area they are going to get screwed over with multiple ticketed unknowingly.

although in my situation, since my car is stopped and parked, a hard copy of the ticket on my windshield would be nice. i'm assuming it's the same bylaw officer going to the same areas
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Nice, yes. Required? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe consult an attorney to see if there is any requirement for it. Otherwise, there isnt much merit to your argument unfortunately

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
i know what you mean, but it would be nice to have a warning of the enforcement since they just started doing it. a warning as in here is your ticket for your offense, not a warning as in "i'll let you go this time....."

kind of like photoradar being in the same spot for multiple consecutive days. they are always in spots that speed limits are debateable and that's why they hide in those spots. for sample, there's a spot where they hide on the overpass to catch speeders coming into the city. it goes from a limit of 100kmph to 90kmph really really quickly and it's still a highway. more dangerous to hit your brakes to slow down than it is to coast from 100 to 90, but the radar is set up in a spot that is guaranteed to make money. so if someone is new to the area they are going to get screwed over with multiple ticketed unknowingly.

although in my situation, since my car is stopped and parked, a hard copy of the ticket on my windshield would be nice. i'm assuming it's the same bylaw officer going to the same areas
Well now Att it was a signed lot was it not? That was your warning. Just because you got away with it for a while doesn't mean they need to tell you when they are going to ticket. Not sure about there but most private lots around here do not give a hard copy ticket anymore. Mutter and curse and complain but don't feel you were in any way entitled to a break especially after you parked there for free for months. Maybe the people that actually worked there couldn't find spots so they complained and that is why it was enforced all of a sudden. You were parked there when you were not supposed to be and this is in no way the enforcements fault.

How is a speed limit "debatable"? They set up there because people speed there and the money is a nice little extra. How many that they ding at that transition are actually only doing 100 when they hit the 90 zone anyway? Bloody few I bet.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Atticus808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well now Att it was a signed lot was it not? That was your warning. Just because you got away with it for a while doesn't mean they need to tell you when they are going to ticket. Not sure about there but most private lots around here do not give a hard copy ticket anymore. Mutter and curse and complain but don't feel you were in any way entitled to a break especially after you parked there for free for months. Maybe the people that actually worked there couldn't find spots so they complained and that is why it was enforced all of a sudden. You were parked there when you were not supposed to be and this is in no way the enforcements fault.

How is a speed limit "debatable"? They set up there because people speed there and the money is a nice little extra. How many that they ding at that transition are actually only doing 100 when they hit the 90 zone anyway? Bloody few I bet.
unaware that they don't give out hard copy tickets anymore. so i could be screwed. oh well.

speed limits are in fact debatable. roads are designed for speeds above the posted speed limit, but the posted speed limited are decided based on some factors of safety. many roads have their speed limits re examined and brought to council to get changed to either decrease or increase the speed limit.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
unaware that they don't give out hard copy tickets anymore. so i could be screwed. oh well.

speed limits are in fact debatable. roads are designed for speeds above the posted speed limit, but the posted speed limited are decided based on some factors of safety. many roads have their speed limits re examined and brought to council to get changed to either decrease or increase the speed limit.
They haven't for many years here. I am not 100% positive I don't think even the city gives hard copy ones here now. Makes it even that much more of a risk to park where you are not supposed to since you could rack up a tidy sum before you even knew it.

We can disagree that we feel the limit is right for a spot but what is posted is what it is. End of story and not debatable. Yes they change limits every now and then but that is the difference they CHANGE the limits. Until they change it that is the limit whether we like it or not.
Yardjass (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Atticus808

Quote:
They haven't for many years here. I am not 100% positive I don't think even the city gives hard copy ones here now. Makes it even that much more of a risk to park where you are not supposed to since you could rack up a tidy sum before you even knew it.

We can disagree that we feel the limit is right for a spot but what is posted is what it is. End of story and not debatable. Yes they change limits every now and then but that is the difference they CHANGE the limits. Until they change it that is the limit whether we like it or not.
i still see he bylaw officers putting tickets on windshields. oh well. i'll just expect that i will be paying $350, and look at it as paying $0.50 a day for the past 8 months or so.

i was hoping i have a longer debate with you on speed limits since i know you like debates on here.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus808 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
i still see he bylaw officers putting tickets on windshields. oh well. i'll just expect that i will be paying $350, and look at it as paying $0.50 a day for the past 8 months or so.

i was hoping i have a longer debate with you on speed limits since i know you like debates on here.....
LOL debating speed limits is like talking about the weather. We can have our likes and dislikes on the subject but in the long run there is d!ck all we can do about it. They are a law not a recommendation so unless you can get the law makers to agree with you then you are just wasting your breath expressing an opinion.
Cole (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
Atticus808

Quote:
LOL debating speed limits is like talking about the weather. We can have our likes and dislikes on the subject but in the long run there is d!ck all we can do about it. They are a law not a recommendation so unless you can get the law makers to agree with you then you are just wasting your breath expressing an opinion.
but we can debate locations of speed traps

setting them up where they KNOW that it's an awkward speed change + very little risk between 90 and 111 kmph in an area where there are no intersections or pedestrians = cash cow

setting them up where it's a school zone or high collision location or high pedestrian traffic = safety oriented
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
but we can debate locations of speed traps

setting them up where they KNOW that it's an awkward speed change + very little risk between 90 and 111 kmph in an area where there are no intersections or pedestrians = cash cow

setting them up where it's a school zone or high collision location or high pedestrian traffic = safety oriented
Do you have the accident stats for that spot?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
Atticus808

Quote:
Do you have the accident stats for that spot?
nope. but i drive that spot almost every single day and there's nothing.

what if i told you that the police used to do photo radar here, but the city took over a few years ago, and they went OVER the photo radar budget by about $40 million and the tickets issued increases 6-7 times?

even the police said it's a cash cow