follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #43
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
As long as you know I'm not trying to be a prick...

I think what maybe you're missing is that swapping parts doesn't always = a better chance. Differentials effect handling. A tight clutched diff will make the car tighter than with a Torsen style unit. A car with power that might not be a big deal as you can steer with throttle.. this car doesn't have much power, and already have a big bias ratio Torsen to apply what it does have.

If you are worried about picking up a wheel, and based on some photos I've see of your car I think you might have that issue here and there on high grip surfaces... well that's where more front roll stiffness helps. Keep the tire on the ground and what's the issue?

I really need to learn to just keep my mouth shut. It seems the more and more "experts" that are around, the more and more I end up arguing over what I think are pretty simple things.
thanks.. and understand....Went thru the whole thing, And Tom helped me understand what you were saying. I will proceed with a front bar, hence keeping the Rear end down... more front bar, the greater the pressure to keep the rear end down. .. You know, as well as anybody, that there's always different philosophies to get to the same goal. Both may be right... just takes a different road to get there..
And I know you weren't bustin my balls.. I was just trying to understand your way....vs. my way...thats all..

Its all Good

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
JeffHNY

Drives: Vroom Vroom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but you know the stock diff is something like a 4:1 bias ratio. It's a BIG bias Torsen. The Torsen in a Boss 302 Laguna Seca is 2.8:1. And I've use 4:1 Torsens to win National Championships in cars with a lot more power.

I have seen nothing that even has me considering a change for any of my other customers (certainly not myself). I keep wondering if I should just build my car all the way, but it's hard to justify since I prefer to run Super Stock and have a pretty good car for it too with 436 hp.

Working on a full build the way I think it should be done with a fellow National Champion as I type this.

EDIT: The Miata Scott Fraser has now won 2 Championships in, in CSP (and top PAX this year) has a regular old Torsen in it. And it's not nearly as much bias ratio either. Just sayin'.
In lurker mode but wanted to make sure accurate information is referenced...

Torsen states a max bias ratio of 3:1 for their T2 (http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm). The NB Miata TBR being 2.5:1. Possibly outdated info though and was re-engineered?

Sam may be surprised but I agree the differential isn't the weak link as money is better spent elsewhere. While in a different car, it does have similar thrust ratios and I'm on a 2:1 TBR factory diff with somewhat good success. A tunable one with the time and resources would be valuable but could easily slow me down as well. If I had the above Torsen though I definitely wouldn't change it, especially for Solo II use.
JeffHNY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffHNY For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (01-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #45
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I disagree respectfully if you think there is no issue if an inside rear tire comes up, the only way that is at all true is with a spool... and even then you have less tire on the ground applying power.

Not only that. I've never once in an autox situation with this car, the way I have mine setup which isn't the same exactly as yours, had any inside rear wheel spin.
I've done approximately 20 autocross (sort of autocross) events with this car and I actually did experience inside wheel spin once, but this was kind of a Hillclimb in a hairpin turn steeply up hill. (Stock suspension and Koni shocks). (This may have cost me 0.1 to 0.2 seconds).

Last edited by rx3; 06-16-2014 at 07:12 AM.
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #46
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx3 View Post
I've done approximately 20 autocross (sort of autocross) events with this car and I actually did experience inside wheel spin once, but this was kind of a Hillclimb in a hairpin turn steeply up hill. (Stock suspension and Koni shocks). (This may have cost me 0.1 to 0.2 seconds).
January of 2013. Really?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
SubiePig (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #47
rx3

What's your question regarding January 2013?
I drove the entire last season and this season with this car.
At the first hairpin at 0:20 of this video you can hear the inside wheel spinning for a split second. At the next hairpin at 0:30 the inside wheel is not spinning and the the rear is breaking out a little:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRDxn7yrka8"]Hillclimb-Autocross (1st practice run) - YouTube[/ame]
(Unfortunately the video quality is bad. It was much more noticeable experiencing it first hand. And the road is actually much steeper than it appears on video.)
The Following User Says Thank You to rx3 For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #48
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx3 View Post
What's your question regarding January 2013?
The question is in regards to you replying to a post that was written almost a year and a half ago.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #49
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
January of 2013. Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
The question is in regards to you replying to a post that was written almost a year and a half ago.
So people get bitched at for not searching but cant bump an old thread that I am sure they found that way? There is not much discussion on diffs outside of @Scooby South build thread so why jump down a guys throat for giving more info backed by first hand experiance. I respect all the experiance in this thread but more info is never a bad thing.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
dradernh (06-16-2014), Scooby South (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #50
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
So people get bitched at for not searching but cant bump an old thread that I am sure they found that way? There is not much discussion on diffs outside of @Scooby South build thread so why jump down a guys throat for giving more info backed by first hand experiance. I respect all the experiance in this thread but more info is never a bad thing.
Jumping down a guys throat? I was merely explaining to him what the reply was in reference too.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #51
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Jumping down a guys throat? I was merely explaining to him what the reply was in reference too.
I was more referring to the other post. Quoted you just because it was referrencing in case people missed the point.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #52
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I was more referring to the other post. Quoted you just because it was referrencing in case people missed the point.
Because saying that one time you had inside wheel spin in an unconventional situation is worth bumping a 1.5 year old thread for. It's not like he was asking Scooby South for more information on the LSD or something.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #53
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
So what ...the thread is a year and half old. doesn't mean there isn't good information in it.

Update: I have the Guard Transmission Rear diff in my car. It works beautifully. The high quality of the diff and Gaurds setup in the car has definitely enhanced how the car feels and reacts. I am able to stay on the gas longer and get to the gas quicker when I am in a transition, Corner or sweeper. It inspires confidence. It makes me 'want' to push the car even more, which has resulted in some good overall results both locally and nationally.

My 2cents: As a Moderator on the Biggest Subaru Forum (Nasioc) for the last 14 years. I can say that I 'STILL' Reference old threads there. There is still some valuable information in some of those 'OLD' threads..

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (06-16-2014), rx3 (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #54
rx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101
Because saying that one time you had inside wheel spin in an unconventional situation is worth bumping a 1.5 year old thread for.
Well, that was actually the point I was trying to make.
I just wanted to confirm that inside wheel spin happens very rarely (but it can happen albeit in an unconventional situation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South
There is still some valuable information in some of those 'OLD' threads..
I've been finding lots of valuable information in 10 year old Nasioc threads.