follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Air from vents humid/smelly after turning A/C off

So I'm aware that all cars do this to some extent, but it's particularly gross on mine. I turn the A/C off before I turn the car off, but after doing so, the air from the vents gets super humid and smells pretty bad for several minutes. Humid to the point that it leaves a visible layer of condensation on the fake carbon fiber thing across the front of the dash.

Are there any secrets to preventing this? Shouldn't the moisture just be purged out the bottom of the car? I'm concerned there's a blockage somewhere that's not allowing it to drain out all the way.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
toby714

Drives: whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
So I'm aware that all cars do this to some extent, but it's particularly gross on mine. I turn the A/C off before I turn the car off, but after doing so, the air from the vents gets super humid and smells pretty bad for several minutes. Humid to the point that it leaves a visible layer of condensation on the fake carbon fiber thing across the front of the dash.

Are there any secrets to preventing this? Shouldn't the moisture just be purged out the bottom of the car? I'm concerned there's a blockage somewhere that's not allowing it to drain out all the way.
was wondering the same thing. bump for a solution.
toby714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Check the drain hose on the bottom of the car to make sure it isn't clogged. Check your in cabin air filter. Take it to the dealer if it persists. When they say "sorry we can't do anything" call Toyota or Subaru of America and file an official complaint that the dealership is not honoring your warranty.

I am dealing with something similar right now on my wife's car ('12 prius C) and Toyota says that the dealer should have at the very least sprayed deodorizer.

The dealer even said it would cost me $800 if they tore apart her car and they didn't find any mold... and of course, being a dealership you know they won't be able to find the smell or otherwise "reproduce the problem"

There are probably some exceptions to the following but it is my general feeling that dealerships' service departments are not there to swoon you with their customer service. I will find out very soon if Toyota is the same way. So far they have at least listened to me with sincerity. I can update you with my progress on this if you'd like.

I avoided this fight (kind of, it was my second time trying to get them to fix it) with the Subaru dealership when I handed them the TSB for the crickets and asked them if he heard them when I pulled up and left the car running...

EDIT: for the record, my wife's car has been to the dealership 3 times now for the mold smell issue.

Last edited by EvilBeaverFace; 09-11-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Edited my edit so I could inform while I inform.
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have never seen a layer of condensation on the faux c/f dash piece after running my a/c. That doesn't sound normal.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post

You may have condensation from the AC system... but you may also have a leak somewhere that is introducing moisture.

Does it smell bad as in a rotten water smell, or does it smell borderline rotten/sweet?

If it's the latter, your coolant core may have prematurely sprung a leak. If it's the former, you need to try to replicate it with accuracy and bring it to the dealer.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Check your drain line for AC system - all cooling systems WILL build condensation and your system has to be able to dump that water or else you will have mold issues which is what you smell.

Someone here posted the same issue and took it to the dealer and they found his drain line plugged up.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It doesn't smell like coolant at all, it's that moldy water smell. Anyone have pics of where the drain hose is located?
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Being in Seattle, I wouldn't be surprised if it's mold. You know we get it pretty bad up here. Do you garage your car?

Either way, the dealer should handle this. I know with Hanson down in Olympia, I often have to walk them through my problems or they'll just blow me off and say they couldn't replicate it. If you take it in specifically mention the drain line.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do a thorough search because this was just covered a week or two ago in another/similar thread. If I can locate it, I'll link it.

Found it http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=A%2FC+smell

If you run your A/C and there is NO condensate puddle under your car, drain is blocked. Not sure of its location.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
aagun (10-27-2014)
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
GFs Camry had same issue. Turned heater on max and drove around for a little bit with windows down. Got rid of the smell as far as I know. Try all of the above.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Corvette Z06
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check to see if your A/C is draining condensation while the car is running that would be the first step.
TopGearSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
My 1 month old 2015 FR-S had the same problem. I took it back to the dealership that sold it to me and said essentially that they needed to take care of it and I didn't care how. Because I paid cash for the vehicle, maybe that helped. Anyway, the service manager was helpful in treating the problem and at least after I got it back, it smelled OK. Now here we are about three more weeks down the road and I noticed the odor again this morning. It only occurs on startup.

I was told that this is a problem endemic to most Toyotas and ALL Scions and is caused by the air conditioning condenser (under the dash) becoming mildewed and/or moldy. I guess I will have to go back again to get it fixed.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
My 1 month old 2015 FR-S had the same problem. I took it back to the dealership that sold it to me and said essentially that they needed to take care of it and I didn't care how. Because I paid cash for the vehicle, maybe that helped. Anyway, the service manager was helpful in treating the problem and at least after I got it back, it smelled OK. Now here we are about three more weeks down the road and I noticed the odor again this morning. It only occurs on startup.

I was told that this is a problem endemic to most Toyotas and ALL Scions and is caused by the air conditioning condenser (under the dash) becoming mildewed and/or moldy. I guess I will have to go back again to get it fixed.
Search around the forum a bit more for the long thread discussing this. Specifically, some claim that the two missing rubber grommets on the bottom of the car is the cause of the problem. Smell disappeared for me once I installed them.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Search around the forum a bit more for the long thread discussing this. Specifically, some claim that the two missing rubber grommets on the bottom of the car is the cause of the problem. Smell disappeared for me once I installed them.

If that is correct OP the grommets should be in your glove box and can be easily installed, I think the a/c drain line runs quite close to them or water can easily flow in through those holes
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote