follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Chirping is louder than ever but Service guy is saying it has been confirmed as a normal sound. His reasoning? "I have a buddy with a Ford Diesle truck and they make the same noise. It's just because of the pressure with the fuel pump. Subaru doesn't have any more plans to address that chirping."

As for the chiming, the techs can't explain why the car is beeping continuously. He basically said,"Why do you open your door first?" Lol! I said, "That's not the point. I want to know what this chiming is telling me. What's the purpose?" Again he couldn't come up with an explanation so he's hooking up his computer now to see if he's able to disable that chiming.

As for the fuel pump, what can I say as proof that this isn't a "normal" sound?
Can't you print out a copy of the TSB for the fuel pump and show that to your dealership? Or maybe access it here on your phone and open up the PDF to show them, if you currently don't have access to a printer?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The TSB was for older BRZ's. He said my VIN already has the new pump. Since Subaru found that replacing the pump does not fix issue they've determined the sound as normal are not looking into it any further.
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I call BS.

If chirping was normal, it would have happened when new. Also FT86 isn't the only Direct injection car with HPFP...but it is the only one that chirps.

Defective design plain and simple.

Either Toybaru redesigns, or they payout after class action law-suit.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Zoti

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I bet the continues chime is to indicate that you opened the door while the engine is running and there is a bug that does not turn it off when you turn the engine off.

OK. never mind. It happens after you turn the engine off. Maybe to remind you that you need to take the keys with you.
Zoti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoti For This Useful Post:
theneptune86 (10-03-2020)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoti View Post
I bet the continues chime is to indicate that you opened the door while the engine is running and there is a bug that does not turn it off when you turn the engine off.

OK. never mind. It happens after you turn the engine off. Maybe to remind you that you need to take the keys with you.

That's what the tech said also. I demonstrated this scenario. I took the keys out of my pocket and put them in the cup holder. Then I turned off the car and then opened the door. Oops, I forgot my keys because there's no chime to remind me about the keys. What happened to the key reminder?
Wait a second....
Let me put my keys in the cup holder>Open Door>Turn off Car. All of a sudden the car wants to remind me about my keys?
Doesn't seem likely. If it was a "Key Reminder" then it would chime in both scenarios. The tech agreed.

The tech also said, "It's chiming because the door is open." As you've figured out for yourself it's not triggered by opening the door. It's from turning the car off with a door open. Not a door warning. Not a key warning. And furthermore you can then close and open the door and the chime is gone. You're sitting in the car with the exact same scenario (Open door, Car Off) but no chime all of a sudden?

At this point I'm not looking for a solution to fix the chime, I'm looking for information on if someone can explain it's purpose to me. I've already realized the dealership can do nothing about the chime. It's here to stay. The least someone can do is tell me what it's purpose is! Please!

The way I see it is: Both scenarios lead you to a car that's OFF and a door that's OPEN, therefore the chime should be consistent. The car should either chime for both situations or not chime for both situations. It should not be different just because you did things in a different order. Maybe this was overlooked by Toyota/Subaru.
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
tCsonfrs

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It does it because the steering wheel hasn't gotten a chance to lock, not the noise coming from the steering wheel once the door is closed?

Its a weird Toyota/Lexus keyless entry thing, my mom's 2011 Rx does it and my 2013 10 Series FR-S does it too.
tCsonfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Zoti

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tCsonfrs View Post
It does it because the steering wheel hasn't gotten a chance to lock, not the noise coming from the steering wheel once the door is closed?

Its a weird Toyota/Lexus keyless entry thing, my mom's 2011 Rx does it and my 2013 10 Series FR-S does it too.
It seems you are correct but as opposed to cars with a key, turning the wheel with the ignition off will not lock it. Closing and opening the door does.
Zoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #22
Drafter

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have had a 2017 now for three weeks and the chiming has been bugging the hell out of me. I hadn’t yet figured out what sequence causes the chiming, was just confused why I happens sometimes I turn off the car and not others. I just figured there is some sort of software error.

This thread helped me realize that it is t just me that finds it annoying.
Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #23
Enigmeerkat
Enigmeerkat

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idanvan View Post
Easy way I found for getting rid of the chime when I'm sitting with the door open is to push the little black button in the door seem that makes it think you closed the door. It's right near the door latch. If you press it in and let go the chime goes away. Problem solved
+1 for this. When I bought my car this was one of the first things told to me. So useful!
- PSR UEL Header, Invidia R400 Catback
- Whiteline Swaybars, 18" ROH Blue Evo R
Enigmeerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 PM   #24
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
It also has a solid chime if either the parking lights or lo/hi beams are on with the car off and door open. It is to remind you to get your keys and turn the lights off.
^^ THIS. I get this chime when I open the door with the car running and then turn off the car. If you turn your lights off it stops. I noticed the pattern that it only happened when my dog came to greet me. I open the door as soon as I pulled the brake so he didn't jump on the door.

It's kind of an odd feature when the lights have an auto-off setting.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote