follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
Robcokiwi

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Programing ECU - Can only Toyota do it?

This is an ongoing saga of trying to repair a vehicle. I have replaced a lot of wiring harnesses, modules etc. Almost everything is working except the windows. The Toyota dealership tried to connect to the ECU to "reinitialize" it but are unable to make contact with the ECU and are unwilling to spend any more time trying. Is it possible for me to try to do this myself as I swap modules etc from my donor car? If so what kind of programmer do I need to buy?
Thanks in advance.
Robcokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcokiwi View Post
This is an ongoing saga of trying to repair a vehicle. I have replaced a lot of wiring harnesses, modules etc. Almost everything is working except the windows. The Toyota dealership tried to connect to the ECU to "reinitialize" it but are unable to make contact with the ECU and are unwilling to spend any more time trying. Is it possible for me to try to do this myself as I swap modules etc from my donor car? If so what kind of programmer do I need to buy?
Thanks in advance.

You can buy a Tactrix cable for about $170 and then download the Toyota Techstream software which will let you do anything the dealer does.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #3
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Have you searched for 'Subaru windows not working'.its a common issue to need to reset them and may not involve the ECU but is rather done with the door buttons.

It may be an easier fix than you think.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
jcw99 (05-22-2021), theneptune86 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Robcokiwi

Done it

Thanks Purist.
Have tried everything I could find to reset windows - about 6 different methods and nothing works. From what the dealer is telling me I have a bigger problem.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
Robcokiwi

Thanks Ermax. So if one end of the Tactrix cable attaches to the OBD plug in the car what does the other end plug into? - Secondly does it cost anything to download the Toyota Techstream software?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Does the ECU have a locked tune on it? If the techs can't connect you probably can't either.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #7
bolink654

Drives: 16 Raven,13 Firestorm,13 Raven
The techs are probably flat rate, getting paid an hour to diag, and have poor service writers that wont ask for more time. So once the hour is up, they try and get rid of it.

Wait, just seen, this is the same flood car you've posted about previously?

I bet, sad as it is to say, they just dont want to deal with it anymore.

I too bought a flooded FRS, (and 2 wrecked ones) but mine didn't get water in the interior. But it didnt come with a key. Neither did one of the other wrecked ones.

Anyway, yeah you need techstream.
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolink654 View Post
The techs are probably flat rate, getting paid an hour to diag, and have poor service writers that wont ask for more time. So once the hour is up, they try and get rid of it.

I too bought a flooded FRS, (and 2 wrecked ones) but mine didn't get water in the interior. But it didnt come with a key. Neither did one of the other wrecked ones.

There is not a dealership in the world that will turn down a person's money if they say keep digging.
They will of course not spend any time trying for free.
OR
It could be a great dealer that is not willing to rip off a person trying to do something they know won't work!

Not sure exactly what he expects to do with Techstream that the techs couldn't do.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Ermax. So if one end of the Tactrix cable attaches to the OBD plug in the car what does the other end plug into? - Secondly does it cost anything to download the Toyota Techstream software?

One end to the OBD2 port and the other to a USB port. Techstream is a Windows application and not free. Google around and you should find lots of helpful info about the software.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #10
Robcokiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolink654 View Post

Yes Sir - it was flooded, bought a wrecked one and took the wiring harnesses and modules from the wrecked one to replace the flooded ones. I believe the service tech has tried to be helpful but he is just too busy to get bogged down on this. So my thought is that if I get techstream I can spend the time to try troubleshoot myself.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
Robcokiwi

Techstream

Ermax thanks again. So from what I can see Techstream is put out by Toyota but I have to buy a subscription for it. Have you or anyone else reading this had experience using Techstream and did you find it helpful?
Old 05-05-2021, 11:06 PM   #12
bolink654

Drives: 16 Raven,13 Firestorm,13 Raven
I used techstream to sort out my three. I PM'ed you.
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:19 AM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ermax thanks again. So from what I can see Techstream is put out by Toyota but I have to buy a subscription for it. Have you or anyone else reading this had experience using Techstream and did you find it helpful?

I don't think you did enough research, there are a ton of versions that are cracked online available on the forum as well. It allows a lot of customization not normally accessible as well as diagnostic modes.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote