follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NAV on a Kenwood headunit?

Hi guys, I currently have the stock headunit on my FR-S, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a unit that has NAV capabilities. Some other users here have posted this Kenwood unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-DDX-...item20cdb6e3cf

I've read through some comments that to enable NAV capabilities on this headunit, I need some kind of module. I believe this headunit is able to run Garmin navigation. Is there some special module that is specific to Garmin for this unit? About how much would such a module cost and where can I purchase one? Also, is the module easy to install? I also assume that this headunit is plug-and-play. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys!
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
With in dash Nav, I prefer to just spend the extra dough and get the units that have the NAV built in with no special modules or nonsense like that, just more crap to find space for or that could come loose and rattle around. I personally have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT I bought it for about $700 on sale at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=4569323

There's a ton of brands you can get but these would be my pics for affordable In dash Nav without dealing with modules.

Clarion:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NX60....html?tp=20212

Kenwood:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX6....html?tp=20212

Alpine:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INAW....html?tp=20212

I'm a little partial to Clarion, but that's just personal preference, the only reason I got the pioneer was the sale.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
i_4got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
With in dash Nav, I prefer to just spend the extra dough and get the units that have the NAV built in with no special modules or nonsense like that, just more crap to find space for or that could come loose and rattle around. I personally have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT I bought it for about $700 on sale at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=4569323

There's a ton of brands you can get but these would be my pics for affordable In dash Nav without dealing with modules.

Clarion:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NX60....html?tp=20212

Kenwood:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX6....html?tp=20212

Alpine:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INAW....html?tp=20212

I'm a little partial to Clarion, but that's just personal preference, the only reason I got the pioneer was the sale.

I understand that our headunit size is kind of unique. Do all/any of these units fit perfectly? Or will they require some sort of mounting kit (I'm probably using the wrong term here)?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Supermassive

Garage
Ah didn't see that...nope you need a kit to fill the gaps for the rest of the head units, sucky thing bout Scions...

This is what a normal sized unit looks like with a kit. (the two strips on the sides.)

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Save yourself some money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-2-3-...3a332b&vxp=mtr

Running this in my second car. It uses Sygic navigation which is actually quite nice .... and it's built in.

2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
joop1987

Drives: 2013 FRS, Raven, Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Save yourself some money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-2-3-...3a332b&vxp=mtr

Running this in my second car. It uses Sygic navigation which is actually quite nice .... and it's built in.

Does Torque work on it?
joop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joop1987 View Post
Does Torque work on it?
On that one, no. You need the genuine ca-fi unit for that.... for now hehehe

But I'm actually really impressed with that unit.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Supermassive

Garage
Seeing the picture of the EQ on that ebay listing is pretty sad...tell me there's something better than that available. Sorry but audio quality is number one in my book as far as what a head unit offers, then Nav, and then all the widgets and gizmos.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
i_4got

Quote:
Ah didn't see that...nope you need a kit to fill the gaps for the rest of the head units, sucky thing bout Scions...

This is what a normal sized unit looks like with a kit. (the two strips on the sides.)
About how much do the mounting kits go for? Also, did you install the headunit yourself? I'd like to avoid having to pay for a professional install, but I'm also a tech noob.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Supermassive

Garage
The kit is really cheap, less than $20. I did install it myself. If you aren't handy with a soldering iron it's a pain in the ass, because it's not as simple as plug and play. You get a harness kit for your specific car, and the HU comes with plugs that have wires that you need to solder to the harness kit. Also running the GPS antenna and microphone wires through the dash/up in the headliner is a small headache. It all takes patience really but it helps to have some experience in wiring at the minimum to make this easy.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
i_4got

Quote:
The kit is really cheap, less than $20. I did install it myself. If you aren't handy with a soldering iron it's a pain in the ass, because it's not as simple as plug and play. You get a harness kit for your specific car, and the HU comes with plugs that have wires that you need to solder to the harness kit. Also running the GPS antenna and microphone wires through the dash/up in the headliner is a small headache. It all takes patience really but it helps to have some experience in wiring at the minimum to make this easy.
Hmm, that's bad news for me. I don't know anyone who's done anything like that before. I might have to wait for it to go on sale again and get it installed at Best Buy ($$$).

I've only used Garmin NAV systems before. How does the NAV on the Pioneer unit compare?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Seeing the picture of the EQ on that ebay listing is pretty sad...tell me there's something better than that available. Sorry but audio quality is number one in my book as far as what a head unit offers, then Nav, and then all the widgets and gizmos.
There are better units, but you're going to pay for it. I've had the pioneer above and it is hands down the inferior unit in almost every way. Its not about gadgets and gizmos, its about getting the best experience for your money. For the money you're spending on a Kenwood or pioneer, you should get some that runs smooth and looks good. Unfortunately, Kenwood and pioneer have been unable to attain that.

I was just trying to save the guy some money, but if its no object, check out cafi dashlinq coming out in January.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
Hmm, that's bad news for me. I don't know anyone who's done anything like that before. I might have to wait for it to go on sale again and get it installed at Best Buy ($$$).

I've only used Garmin NAV systems before. How does the NAV on the Pioneer unit compare?
I've had zero issues with my Nav on the Pioneer unit, Garmin is a better Nav template, but it all depends on the HU, just because it says Garmin doesn't mean they look the same as what's running on a Garmin handheld. I had Garmin on my Kenwood thats in my truck, and I really like that more, but it was a $1200 head unit.

The Android offerings are cool, but like I said, if I don't have certain features regarding audio, none of the apps, screens, interfaces, gizmos, and gadgets do anything for me because I'll constantly be struggling to get my music to sound good...I don't spend $4-$5k on a system to play Angry Birds on my HU...I do it, because I like the sound!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
2forme

Garage
Quote:

The Android offerings are cool, but like I said, if I don't have certain features regarding audio, none of the apps, screens, interfaces, gizmos, and gadgets do anything for me because I'll constantly be struggling to get my music to sound good...I don't spend $4-$5k on a system to play Angry Birds on my HU...I do it, because I like the sound!
One of the beautiful enhancements to Gingerbread (2.3) is native control over the DSP in the Android SDK. There are audiophile apps for those who are, or claim to be, audiophiles. You can control every little feature of the DSP and what comes out of the speakers... much more so than on a KW or Pio. Although people who truly care about their sound will adjust it with hardware, not software.

I support what you're trying to say. And I, too, take great pride in the actual quality that comes out of the speakers (for instance, I won't encode any MP3 in less than 320Kbps bit rate). My point is, the droid HU is cheaper, and does more... even in the case of DSP. Plus, if he doesn't like the Nav, he can easily install a different one.