follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #29
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I remember when I bought my 911 Twin Turbo the salesman said to keep it below 150 on the test drive.
True, but then again if the salesperson is not with you during the test drive there is a high chance most people will really open up the vehicle. I did not get any special instructions from the Subaru dealership when testing and buying the vehicle, which sucks I guess.

I don't think I ever went 150, might have went 140 (km/h) on the way back the first day. I'll change the engine oil sooner than the recommended interval.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #30
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
On the other hand I never use cruise control on that vehicle and always let it warm up before going on a drive.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #31
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
True, but then again if the salesperson is not with you during the test drive there is a high chance most people will really open up the vehicle. I did not get any special instructions from the Subaru dealership when testing and buying the vehicle, which sucks I guess.

I don't think I ever went 150, might have went 140 (km/h) on the way back the first day. I'll change the engine oil sooner than the recommended interval.
Most salesmen have no idea and could really give a sh*t what you do as long as you buy the car
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You guys think that race teams run them gently for a few thousand miles to break them in before taking them to the track? It doesn't take that much to seat the rings.

I used to build a lot of engines for local racers when I worked at the motorcycle shop. I am talking 450's and 250's with 10-12k in parts and head work. They got a few heat cycles, a torque check, a quick blast out back, and were promptly smashed on Engines with steel liners where given a little more intensive break-in, but not much.
Race teams are not running stock lower grade engine components. They also ALWAYS have a second built engine ready for when they blow one up.
Apples to kumquats.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post

Just how much can you open one up on a test drive anyway? The break in instructions warn against prolonged, steady, high RPMs so unless you do a two hour test drive at 100 Kph in 5th gear you are still within the guidelines.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #34
Baldeagle

Drives: VW GLI 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I remember when I bought my 911 Twin Turbo the salesman said to keep it below 150 on the test drive.
By any chance do you recall Porsche’s break-in procedure? I ask because of this story:

https://pcaucr.org/12409/

Quotes:

Perhaps it comes better from a Porsche engineer…I asked “why does Porsche feel it is safe for a new engine to run at nearly full throttle in the factory, while the customer must keep the engine speed to no more than 4,000 RPM for a 2,000 mile (3,200 km) break-in period?”

The engineer replied, “Herr Koop, you do not understand (that I already knew). When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components.

But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat and not always in a uniform way. We also constantly vary the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low RPM’s”.

“Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period; therefore the engine doesn’t get used to one operating temperature range”.

The take away for me regards heat cycles. During break-in, it seems each heat cycle should be a little more than the last to maximize how the metal parts form fit to each other. Does this pass a reasonable scrutiny test?
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
TommyW (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #35
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Race teams are not running stock lower grade engine components. They also ALWAYS have a second built engine ready for when they blow one up.
Apples to kumquats.
It works for me built or stock engines, I will continue to do it till I see a reason not too. Except for flat tappet cams, a new one of those gets treated differently.

I don't believe in no break in, I just think the OE is for people with no mechanical sympathy and to ensure it happens so they give excessive mileage numbers before getting on it.
WildCard600 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #36
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That depends heavily on which series and how well funded the team is. There are many series where all the competitors run stock engines or stock short blocks and a number of the smaller teams aren't going to be holding onto a spare engine.

EDIT: forgot to say that while the above is true; they also don't expect the engines to last the 200k+ kms that people do for a street engine.

Last edited by CrowsFeast; 09-16-2020 at 09:19 AM.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrowsFeast For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #37
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dirty Harry said it best, "You got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? ..."