follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #1793
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fair enough, didn't consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawan View Post
It's when it's wet that you can see true driver skill, because it's when it's wet that the driver is limited by grip not how good the engine is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #1794
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Did anyone watch Quali?
Woke up at 2am to watch live and stayed up for the red flag.

Glad I didn't go back to sleep. It was well worth being tired at work today.

Yup slept in for P3 but woke up in time for the second half of Q1. Awesome qualifier round, nice to see a young Canadian finally getting into his groove.

Dawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #1795
Dexter

Drives: 2017 MT BRZ with performance pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Official Formula 1 thread

Yep, rain is the great leveller. Possibly less of an impact on this track than perhaps somewhere like Hungary, but the cream still starts to rise. Ferrari obviously not a good setup for wet though. Stroll and Ocon really beginning to show they have some talent. Very impressive.

Sucks for the two Red Bull drivers. This engine and gearbox grid penalty business really needs to change. Penalise the team if you want, but why penalise the driver and ruin the race for fans? I reckon they should reduce constructor championship points the team can earn for the race, and leave the driver and race unpunished.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #1796
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Yep, rain is the great leveller. Possibly less of an impact on this track than perhaps somewhere like Hungary, but the cream still starts to rise. Ferrari obviously not a good setup for wet though. Stroll and Ocon really beginning to show they have some talent. Very impressive.

Sucks for the two Red Bull drivers. This engine and gearbox grid penalty business really needs to change. Penalise the team if you want, but why penalise the driver and ruin the race for fans? I reckon they should reduce constructor championship points the team can earn for the race, and leave the driver and race unpunished.

I agree fully with the assessment or even remove constructor points. But I think the number of engine parts allowed for a season has been reduced too soon, we can see even mercedes have to use their 4th engine already. I think they should have given more leeway or use some other kind of penalty mechanism.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawan For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #1797
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Is it that much of a shock that some people don't like him?
I don't really understand the hate for Hamilton, I get he's kind of a f*ck boy off the track but he's been driving well throughout his career and basically one of the best (if not the best) in his generation. What he does off track is none of our business and how he drives is what should matter. Giving Bottas back his P3 in Hungary really shows that he's got class even if he is fiercely competitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawan For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #1798
Dexter

Official Formula 1 thread

I think you nailed it with your comments about the way he carries himself off the track. He's just a cringe worthy douche. His driving is fantastic, but it's why he polarises fans so much. You have the crowd that appreciates the talent, and the other crowd that can't get past his personality. I'm not a Hamilton fan, but I'm happy to admit he's a great driver.

Comparisons to Schumacher is a difficult one. Different eras, different circumstances. It's always tedious comparing past and present champions. Even qualifying was often very different back in the Schumacher days. For a while there it was a one lap shoot out. If you didn't nail it you didn't get pole. I think with the current format (when he was with Ferrari) Schumacher might have gotten more poles. But I also don't think that was where his strengths were. He was much better over a race distance. Lewis is exceptional at those quick qually laps.

A well deserved record.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1799
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Same, Love Ham as a driver, But HATE him off track.

Honestly used to hate Vettle also when he was at RB, but feel he grew alot after he was no longer in a super dominant car.

I'd like to see the drivers championship come down to who finishes higher in the final race.
Friend introduced me to a new nickname for Lewis. "Spiral Cut"

Any predictions for the race?
I got
1: Ham
2:Ric
3:Vet
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #1800
Dexter

If it's dry the Ferraris will come through the pack. I reckon Verstoppin is due for a decent result. As an outside bet, I'll predict he somehow nabs a podium. Hamilton will disappear into the sunset.

I'm gunna guess
1. Ham
2. Vet
3. Ver

I think Ocon is possible for a top 5. I reckon Stroll in the Williams won't have the legs in the dry and slip back.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #1801
wireman957

Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wow - though not entirely unexpected. According to Formula1.com, announced today, Mclaren is dropping Honda in favor of Renault engines and Torro Rosso will be running Honda as of the end of the 2017 season. Carlos Sainz is also going to be driving for Renault "on loan" from Torro Rosso in place of Jolyon Palmer who's out of a ride, at least for now. Wonder who will join Torro Rosso...

Last edited by wireman957; 09-15-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fat-finger
wireman957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #1802
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Red Bull Loses Renault Engines After 2018 But Aston Martin Might Take Renault's Place

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/red-bu...mar-1814638865
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
wireman957 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #1803
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've got a dark horse nomination for Ford, it could tie in great as an evolution of EcoBoost and the GT40 and there's solid Ford-Milton Keynes history. There could be Jag or Cosworth support but I don't think either are in a position to spend the money, meanwhile Ford seems to be itching to impress in motorsports again. Hell they could have already been lowkey developing a V6 and be ready to jump in in 2019 with some test time in 2018.

Revive the old Ford-Ferrari rivalship, good story, good PR, no worse a gamble than Honda (from an outsider perspective), and hell, maybe Haas jumps on-board for 2021 to bank on 'Murica pride for sponsorship and merch money.

I'm probably just speculating that because I don't understand the Aston-RB connection too well aside from that hypercar.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
wireman957 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #1804
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I've got a dark horse nomination for Ford, it could tie in great as an evolution of EcoBoost and the GT40 and there's solid Ford-Milton Keynes history. There could be Jag or Cosworth support but I don't think either are in a position to spend the money, meanwhile Ford seems to be itching to impress in motorsports again. Hell they could have already been lowkey developing a V6 and be ready to jump in in 2019 with some test time in 2018.

Revive the old Ford-Ferrari rivalship, good story, good PR, no worse a gamble than Honda (from an outsider perspective), and hell, maybe Haas jumps on-board for 2021 to bank on 'Murica pride for sponsorship and merch money.

I'm probably just speculating that because I don't understand the Aston-RB connection too well aside from that hypercar.
I would honestly love to see a ford F1 team. Maybe if liberty does a good job in the next few years making F1 more popular here in the USA it would be a possibility.
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #1805
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
I would honestly love to see a ford F1 team. Maybe if liberty does a good job in the next few years making F1 more popular here in the USA it would be a possibility.
Ah, red bull technical parternship with Aston is what I was missing, Newey goes over and does some consulting work. Logical conclusion but unless Aston is doing waay better than a small auto manufacturer typically does I'll be surprised.

I mean, they had a very similar 'partnership' with Nissan/Infiniti which never seemed to be more than marketing and maybe a couple hours worth of design meetings and document sharing. Obviously that's not on the table as Nissan/Infiniti is Renault... it'd be beyond silly to have two F1 engine development programs under 1 company... unless they're (nissan/renault) going to work collaboratively in parallel, a Japanese location contributing design and R&D to the same fundamental engine... Tricky to say the least.

idk I think Ford might be the only manufacturer that Horner didn't flat out deny in the interview that stands a chance at producing viable powerplants. But saying "we already have an existing relationship with a motor manufacturer and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who it is" definitely points to the biggest automotive partnership they have right now which is likely Aston.

Hell, I wouldn't oppose the argument that it's Toyota as RB ran a Nascar team with Toyota engines, but Toyota back in F1 would be more out of the blue than Honda was.

Here it is, explicit denial of Porsche/Renault/Honda:
[ame]https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/908722097576230914[/ame]

Edit: Hell maybe he's fucking with everyone and TAG will commission Porsche engines like the old days.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #1806
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Kubica making a comeback possibly too.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis