follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List
Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng

Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Qadthane

Drives: 2013 FR-S in Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RCE yellows, stock dampers - springs move

Perhaps this isn't a problem, but it seems worth asking.

I installed RCE yellow springs on stock dampers with Raceseng cascam plates for OEM shocks. (1 x M12 x 1.25mm Shock Nut / 15mm Spring Perch Bushing / 90mm Spring Perch)

I used a pass through socket and Allen wrench to make sure the top nut on the damper was tightened. I wasn't able to get a torque wrench on it using this configuration, but I can assure you that nut is tight.

After tightening and before installing them in the car, the springs move in between the spring perches. There isn't a ton of movement, but I can definitely wiggle/rotate them. I expected to need my spring compressor to get the top nut tight, but it was (without a doubt) tight before I was putting pressure on the spring.

Once I take the car off the stands the strut and spring compress and everything looks fine. I have driven it this way for a couple weeks now and it seems ok. I jacked it up the other day to change the oil and reached in to see if the springs still moved. They do; I can still turn them inside of the perches. I need to take it in for an alignment, but want to make sure there isn't something I have overlooked or some real issue that needs to be corrected.

The flip side of this is that the springs are shorter than stock and don't fill the distance between the perches until some weight is on them. That seems reasonable to me, but asking to make sure seems wise. It wouldn't be unlike me to worry a bit and over analyze.
Qadthane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
@Racecomp Engineering

I should add, mine definitely don't do that, but I'm using stock top hats.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
Qadthane

@Raceseng

Hopefully they will have some thoughts.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
That's odd, there should not be play in the system as jawn said. The raceseng plates may change the upper spring perch location but I don't know for sure.

Feel free to send me some pics and I can have a look.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Qadthane

Thanks for the reply Andrew. The upper spring perch being higher than stock is exactly what it seems like. I was under the impression the Raceseng plates didn't change that from stock. I can't be the only person to try and use RCE Yellows, Raceseng camber plates, and stock dampers. Hopefully the folks @Raceseng can chime in.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Qadthane

I'll put this info here in case it pops in someones search later and can be helpful. The decreased stack height of Raceseng cascam plates when combined with stock dampers leaves more space than RCE Yellows fill when the dampers are uncompressed. There is roughly 1/8 of an inch of play when the suspension is unloaded; enough that the spring can easily be rotated all the way around leaving it in an incorrect position on the lower spring perch when the car is lowered off the jack. I went over everything again last night to make sure there were no issues with my installation causing this. Everything was correct.

tl;dr Raceseng cascam plates on stock dampers with RCE yellows leaves slop in the spring when the suspension is hanging.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadthane View Post
I'll put this info here in case it pops in someones search later and can be helpful. The decreased stack height of Raceseng cascam plates when combined with stock dampers leaves more space than RCE Yellows fill when the dampers are uncompressed. There is roughly 1/8 of an inch of play when the suspension is unloaded; enough that the spring can easily be rotated all the way around leaving it in an incorrect position on the lower spring perch when the car is lowered off the jack. I went over everything again last night to make sure there were no issues with my installation causing this. Everything was correct.

tl;dr Raceseng cascam plates on stock dampers with RCE yellows leaves slop in the spring when the suspension is hanging.
Are you able to run the raceseng plates with the OEM upper spring perch?

- andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Qadthane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Are you able to run the raceseng plates with the OEM upper spring perch?

- andrew

I didn't actually try to re-install them that way. I did, however, get my old stock upper perches out last night and check the height. I am fairly certain that would work. The stock perch is noticeably taller than the Raceseng perch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Qadthane For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-31-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
Raceseng

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
We tried to reduce the stack height as much as possible on the CasCam design.

Are the RCE yellow springs shorter in height than OEM springs?
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote