follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The seat doesn't remember your setting, well unless you are carrying 4 people on the regular it doesn't matter because you can just access through the passenger side.

The sound system is a huge upgrade from my 2003 accord so not much I can say about that.

The 1 thing I wish I had was a button on the head unit to skip tracks. It is really annoying to push the next track button on the LCD display...

Otherwise I am very happy with my car and its interior.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smaller cars = Less storage. One gets what one pays for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
There's a lot of hard, cheapish plastic - on the doors, the console, the knee bolsters. The display is pretty basic - cars $8000 cheaper have more information available in the DIC.

Those things don't bother me too much, but I can see how they might.

What does bother me is the idiotic lack of useful storage spaces. The glove box is great, but other than that there's nothing.

The way the console is arranged, if you use the cupholders, you have to reach behind yourself to get your drink (unless you're an NBA center).

And my biggest gripe is with the seat mechanisms. Every other two-door car I've owned, to get access to the back seat, there's a mechanism allowing you to push the front seat forward. Fine, these cars have it too. BUT, other cars, they always return to the positioning from which they started. These seats, you have to reposition/readjust every time you access the back seat.

Which makes the back seat useless even for storage.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Smaller cars = Less storage. One gets what one pays for.
The interior of my Honda S2000 had more interior storage space (comparing front seats only). And that car didn't have a proper glovebox. So I would have to argue that this actually is a reasonable gripe for the BRZ/FRS, since the S2000's interior is actually smaller (again just compared to the front area of the BRZ).

Honestly, someone tell me why there is just a bottle holder on each door. What is going on in that thick area underneath the arm rest on the door?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
I usually post drunk

WTF do you want? there is a huge rear seat area for shit. You can reach to the passenger rear seat and fit a damn suit case. Can you do that in the door pocket on a S2000?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
No major gripes so far. I agree the seat warmer switches and VSC switch is kinda cheap, and I agree the storage could be a little better, but it is not a big deal to me. The overall fit and finish is quite good. Seats and steering wheel are top notch. The driving position is spot on.

Love the aviation toggle switches, and the overall plastic touch/quality is quite good in this car. I honestly don't miss an arm rest like I thought I would.

Head unit for the radio could be better but there is a whole thread on that. I rarely eat or drink in my car so no big deal on the cupholders for me.

One thing I do miss is having a sunglasses holder somewhere in the car. My last couple of cars had one near the rearview mirror...

Glovebox is a good size too. My Gencoupe has a release lever on the front seats to slide them easy for my kids to get in the back. I do miss that. It worked really well.

Memory seats would be nice option too, since my wife is shorter.. But now I am just getting picky.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The interior is bland compared to similar priced or cheaper cars (genesis, cruze, focus..).

But I like the 90's styling / simpleness.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
The interior is bland compared to similar priced or cheaper cars (genesis, cruze, focus..).

But I like the 90's styling / simpleness.
I hated the interior of the Focus. You are surrounded by cheap plastic and the My Touch system made me want to pull my hair out.

Having owned a 2013 Gencoupe I actually think the BRZ Limited is a wash. The BRZ plastics are higher grade for sure. The ridiculous instrument cluster in the center of the Gencoupe dash below the radio was rather pointless. The seats in the BRZ are much better as is the driving position. The Gencoupe had more useable storage and had more amenities. But that car was also one giant rattle trap. Took it in twice to the dealer and they could not address the massive rattle from the dash between 2-3K RPM. The Gencoupe also used this odd tacky material for the steering wheel.. I did not like it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
THILL says: "One thing I do miss is having a sunglasses holder somewhere in the car. My last couple of cars had one near the rearview mirror.."

I must agree.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
KevinBRZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Lets see, the instrument cluster, the seat mechanisms, the center console, the hard plastic everywhere and of course the hunk of silver across most of the dash....is this a rhetorical question?
Maybe the BRZ Limited is different but there's not that much cheap plastic in mine. The dash is a nice soft rubber. The arm rests on the doors are leather and the top of the door is also leather. The leather and Alacantara seats are fabulous. I personally like the instrument cluster. The heat vent dials are a nice rubber as well. All of the silver interior parts I would have liked to be brushed aluminum.

The center console is plastic. I wish it was the same soft rubber as the dash since it has the same texture design on it already. Other than that, the only thing I hate is the reverse pullup thing. I would have preferred the VW way of pushing down and going into first for reverse over what we have.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I'm very happy with the interior of my FR-S. I removed all the 'stuff' out of the center console and put in a cover/arm rest that allows me to use that space for misc. stuff. I don't miss the cup holders as no food or drink goes in my car except water when I'm on a trip and that fits in the door pockets.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #25
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBRZ View Post
Maybe the BRZ Limited is different but there's not that much cheap plastic in mine. The dash is a nice soft rubber. The arm rests on the doors are leather and the top of the door is also leather. The leather and Alacantara seats are fabulous. I personally like the instrument cluster. The heat vent dials are a nice rubber as well. All of the silver interior parts I would have liked to be brushed aluminum.

The center console is plastic. I wish it was the same soft rubber as the dash since it has the same texture design on it already. Other than that, the only thing I hate is the reverse pullup thing. I would have preferred the VW way of pushing down and going into first for reverse over what we have.
I agree with everything you said concerning the interior fit and finish. This car does not have that much hard cheap plastic (speaking of the BRZ Limited). And you would be hard pressed to find a RWD sports coupe in the in this price range that does not cut corners on the interior finish and amenities. Gencoupe, Mustang, Camaro, etc. They all do. And with good reason.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
WTF do you want? there is a huge rear seat area for shit. You can reach to the passenger rear seat and fit a damn suit case. Can you do that in the door pocket on a S2000?
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was merely reinforcing his comment to say it was valid.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You guys never drove older (like mid 2000's) economy cars have you......
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
RurumariGhost

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The overall fit and finish is quite good. Seats and steering wheel are top notch. The driving position is spot on.

Love the aviation toggle switches, and the overall plastic touch/quality is quite good in this car. I honestly don't miss an arm rest like I thought I would.

Head unit for the radio could be better but there is a whole thread on that. I rarely eat or drink in my car so no big deal on the cupholders for me.

One thing I do miss is having a sunglasses holder somewhere in the car. My last couple of cars had one near the rearview mirror...

Glovebox is a good size too. My Gencoupe has a release lever on the front seats to slide them easy for my kids to get in the back. I do miss that. It worked really well.

Memory seats would be nice option too, since my wife is shorter.. But now I am just getting picky.
I agree I like the fit and finish as well. And the driving position is probably the best of any car I've ever driven.

I don't miss an armrest that much either, but its not gonna stop me from buying the euro style one.

As far as a sunglasses holder goes, I usually use the cup holder, like you I don't allow food or drink in my car unless its in a sealed bottle that goes in the door.

There is a release lever to slide the seats up, its on the side the lever towards the back. Also the fabric pull tab on the bottom does the same thing but you have to pull pretty hard to get it to release that way.

Yes memory seats would be nice, but then they'd have to be power seats and those motors add weight. I don't mind not having the power/memory seats because racecar!
RurumariGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RurumariGhost For This Useful Post:
thill (06-27-2013)