follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Bushing help

I am about to install my TRD bushings for my car, and I had a few questions on some of them. The main bushings i need advice on are the subframe and differential bushings. Most bushings I have seen like the Whiteline kits are more of inserts on the stock bushings, and do not require the bushings to be pulled out. With the TRD bushings they are actual replacements. My question is what is going to be the easiest way to get them out, best way to press them back into place, will I need to fully drop the subframe? Hoping to make the install of these 6 bushings not take 3 months to do haha. Thanks.

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #2
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I could be wrong, but I believe you are indeed looking at dropping the subframe and will need a torch to get the oem bushings out.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,337 Times in 7,388 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Oh boy. Subframe needs to come out. This is a PITA job. Torch rubber out of the bushings, then use a small reciprocating saw to score the inside of the bushing shell in two or three spots, use a chisel to collapse the scored part of the bushing shell in, then hammer out. I installed solid aluminum bushings so I froze them, lubed them lightly with neverseize, and used a C clamp to press them in. I'd imagine using actual bushings will be more difficult and may require some allthread along with some strategically placed sockets with some nuts and washers.

When completed successfully you should have at least one bloody appendage, be very sweaty, very dirty, used ever curse word you know, smell like burnt rubber, and be mildly drunk.
Clipdat (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:52 AM   #4
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I replaced mine with TRD ones. The job had been made by a specialized shop, and it was difficult and expensive.
Perhaps it worths to buy the full tS subframe.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-27-2023)