follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A/C pump kicking on and off after cold start?

Hey guys I am not quite sure if this is a problem but it is definitely strange to me since I have never had a car do this before. Anyways here is precisely what happens.

1. Start car in the morning (55 degrees ish outside)
2. While idling the A/C pump harshly kicks on and then off at least 4-5 times
3. My A/C is turned off and it was turned off before the car was shut off last. Also the defog is turned off too. (not sure if the A/C pump kicks on for that or not..)
4. I sit there confused..

I dont know if this is normal or not but I sure would like to know. I know this kind of behaviour from other cars I have owned when the A/C isnt charged and you try and turn it on and the pump just kicks on and off because it doesnt have enough pressure but this seems like a totally different situation..

Also my A/C does work and blow cold (although it could be colder..)

Any help would be great thanks guys!
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,467 Times in 4,991 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The defroster uses the A/C pump, turn off the defroster and the A/C won't cycle, but then foggy windows.

It does this to dehumidify the air being blown across the windshield to reduce the fog quicker.

Edit: if the defrost blower is off and the rear window defrost is off as well then the a/c shouldn't be turning on, that'd be a dealer question.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yea I know the concept of the defrost and that was also off. BUT I did discover something this morning. It happens only when I have the fan turned on. Everything else is off and it is not set to recirculate. But when I turn the fan on is when it starts kicking on and off (which I had accidentally left my fan on yesterday when I shut my car off). But yea this is just strange. I guess ill try and stop by the dealer.. bleh They never like to do anything so its probably "normal" according to them..
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote