follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #85
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,891
Thanks: 223
Thanked 1,001 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_GA_FRS View Post
Update...... third gear started slipping at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend.
Clutch packs not holding up? Thought this setup was supposed to be good for 400wtq
i know you are FI but are you turbo or sc? what WTQ are you making?
Do you know what your trans temps where when it started slipping?
How many miles / track days did you have with the clutch pack before slipping?

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 10-24-2019 at 10:50 AM.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #86
Bunsin
Car Goes Bang
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2004 RX8, 2013 FRS, 2014 BRZ
Location: Indiana
Posts: 26
Thanks: 7
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_GA_FRS View Post
Update...... third gear started slipping at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend.
So my 2013 FI 86 trans just went. Interestingly it happened while I was transitioning from E85 to pump gas for the winter (DT Edelbrock setup pushing 270-330 wph). Shifts have been starting to slip but things got stupid in the cold weather mornings on summer tires and higher ETOH levels. I have yet to put on the snow tires since the afternoons have been in the 60s... I bounced off the rev limiter under WOT, confused ECU and TC, lit up the dash, and started having issues. A week later third is dead and it went into limp mode in 6th, lost 5th and 6th, leaving me to drive home in 4th with no throttle response.

So $500 for a used trans with less than 10k that will die again in a few years or SSP and hope TC and plates are ok?
Bunsin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunsin For This Useful Post:
Ernest72 (06-01-2021)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #87
North_GA_FRS
Member
 
North_GA_FRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 38
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
I would assume you mean stalls 1000rpms later. Stall is when the fluid coupling starts applying most of the power to the input shaft. They usually increase the stall so that you can spool up the turbo or get into the power range from a stop.

Transmission in drive, stand on the brakes and floor the gas. Engine will stop at a certain rpm this is stall rpm.



Lock up is when the internal clutch engages and it is controlled by the computer. Computer locks this up for better fuel economy and to keep the transmission cooler
Just for clarification.
Hope you get it all worked out.
Thanks for the review
Yeah, stall is what I meant; thanks!
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #88
North_GA_FRS
Member
 
North_GA_FRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 38
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Clutch packs not holding up? Thought this setup was supposed to be good for 400wtq
i know you are FI but are you turbo or sc? what WTQ are you making?
Do you know what your trans temps where when it started slipping?
How many miles / track days did you have with the clutch pack before slipping?
Turbo at 348/275. Clutch packs have been installed about 2 years and 30 track days. I don't believe the slippage has anything to do with power. I was at VIR for a weekend and it was the hottest weekend of the year there. Despite having a massive trans cooler and ducting, I ended up overheating the trans. I cooled it down and continued to run the remainder of the day without issue. A few weeks later I did Road Atlanta without issue. Last weekend at Atlanta Motorsports park it started slipping in 3rd gear. Starts slipping as soon as the turbo is completely spooled up (~3500rpm). Reverse is also slipping, and begins slipping with very little input. The inner workings of the auto trans are witchcraft to me but there has to be a systemic reason for reverse slipping; the first time the clutch packs were replaced was for 4th gear but the car would shudder in reverse until it began moving. I'm done with track days for the year, so clutch packs and torque converter will be replaced this winter. I think I'll spend some time with my trans guy during the rebuild to ask questions.
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #89
North_GA_FRS
Member
 
North_GA_FRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 38
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsin View Post
So my 2013 FI 86 trans just went. Interestingly it happened while I was transitioning from E85 to pump gas for the winter (DT Edelbrock setup pushing 270-330 wph). Shifts have been starting to slip but things got stupid in the cold weather mornings on summer tires and higher ETOH levels. I have yet to put on the snow tires since the afternoons have been in the 60s... I bounced off the rev limiter under WOT, confused ECU and TC, lit up the dash, and started having issues. A week later third is dead and it went into limp mode in 6th, lost 5th and 6th, leaving me to drive home in 4th with no throttle response.

So $500 for a used trans with less than 10k that will die again in a few years or SSP and hope TC and plates are ok?
I've thought about a used trans and dropping to 300hp for improved reliability; not sure what route I'm going to take because the valve body would have to be swapped over, and I'm not attempting that.

If I were you, I would probably go with a used trans. Much cheaper solution, especially if you have a garage and tools.
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #90
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,891
Thanks: 223
Thanked 1,001 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_GA_FRS View Post
Turbo at 348/275. Clutch packs have been installed about 2 years and 30 track days. I don't believe the slippage has anything to do with power. I was at VIR for a weekend and it was the hottest weekend of the year there. Despite having a massive trans cooler and ducting, I ended up overheating the trans. I cooled it down and continued to run the remainder of the day without issue. A few weeks later I did Road Atlanta without issue. Last weekend at Atlanta Motorsports park it started slipping in 3rd gear. Starts slipping as soon as the turbo is completely spooled up (~3500rpm). Reverse is also slipping, and begins slipping with very little input. The inner workings of the auto trans are witchcraft to me but there has to be a systemic reason for reverse slipping; the first time the clutch packs were replaced was for 4th gear but the car would shudder in reverse until it began moving. I'm done with track days for the year, so clutch packs and torque converter will be replaced this winter. I think I'll spend some time with my trans guy during the rebuild to ask questions.
Got any vids or can you get any of RPM, would love to see 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 shifts and how fast it shifts and if the VB and TC let it hook up and lock quicker to keep RPM higher in between shifts?
Also would love to see a video of a an idle flash stall launch. Basically just mash the pedal from a full stop at idle. And brake stall if you can/want.

Not concerned with actual acceleration numbers. Just how the VB and TC act when shifting and how the TC acts from a dig off idle.

I’ve read a lot about how this all should work in theory, but being able to see specifically applied would be ideal.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #91
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,891
Thanks: 223
Thanked 1,001 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I installed the ssp stage 2 valve body with a full flush of redline (5 drain and fills) didn’t need to reset anything or do anything special just plug and play and ready to go.

Review
Stock and even for the most part full bolt ons NA i would consider the trans pretty good. Quick and responsive. But once i went FI not so much. On my initial FI tune it would hit limiter/fuel cut in auto mode in 1st gear bcs it couldn’t shift quick enough, in manual mode i would have to shift 400rpm before I actually wanted to shift. My tuner was able to change some transmission settings/parameters to only have to manual shift 250rpm early and raising limiter to 7500 auto mode in 1st could now shift before limiter. I found myself only manually downshifting and letting it auto up shift for the quickest most consistent pulls. My trans also would sometimes slip on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

Now with the stage 2 valve body it is unbelievable how fast and hard it shifts and grabs the gear. You don’t notice any stopping of or hesitation of acceleration in between shifts it is instantaneous. I can now upshift in manual mode again and it’ll shift only about 100rpm later but instantly letting go of the gear(clutches) and instantly firmly grabbing new gear(clutches) with no more “built in slip” for smoothness. auto mode almost short shifts its so fast.. My 1-2 shift hasn’t slipped at all either so far. This is an amazing mod for any AT owner who is FI it will add a lot of performance and actually should help extend the life of your transmission. You will really want/need a trans cooler though.

The only down side is the shifts when casually driving are a bit rougher, the “built in slip” is bad for performance but good for smooth comfortable shifts. It is nothing I can’t live with daily driving, but if I frequently drove my wife/girlfriend in this car I would maybe not get it. Luckily we have the family suv for that.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (04-25-2020), Steveiam (04-20-2020), Z06ZN6 (05-31-2021)
Old 04-20-2020, 02:02 AM   #92
Steveiam
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Drives: 86
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the review. Are you thinking of getting the clutch upgrade from ssp as well?
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #93
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,891
Thanks: 223
Thanked 1,001 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveiam View Post
Thanks for the review. Are you thinking of getting the clutch upgrade from ssp as well?
Maybe someday, if the clutches start going out and need replacing Iíll use SSP clutches. Or maybe just swap valve body to a slightly used trans if the stock tranny holds up for a while. Clutch packs with install is expensive even if i pull trans myself, not something i could DIY like the valve body.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Steveiam (05-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:28 PM   #94
Z06ZN6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 109
Thanks: 31
Thanked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I installed the ssp stage 2 valve body with a full flush of redline (5 drain and fills) didn’t need to reset anything or do anything special just plug and play and ready to go.

Review
Stock and even for the most part full bolt ons NA i would consider the trans pretty good. Quick and responsive. But once i went FI not so much. On my initial FI tune it would hit limiter/fuel cut in auto mode in 1st gear bcs it couldn’t shift quick enough, in manual mode i would have to shift 400rpm before I actually wanted to shift. My tuner was able to change some transmission settings/parameters to only have to manual shift 250rpm early and raising limiter to 7500 auto mode in 1st could now shift before limiter. I found myself only manually downshifting and letting it auto up shift for the quickest most consistent pulls. My trans also would sometimes slip on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

Now with the stage 2 valve body it is unbelievable how fast and hard it shifts and grabs the gear. You don’t notice any stopping of or hesitation of acceleration in between shifts it is instantaneous. I can now upshift in manual mode again and it’ll shift only about 100rpm later but instantly letting go of the gear(clutches) and instantly firmly grabbing new gear(clutches) with no more “built in slip” for smoothness. auto mode almost short shifts its so fast.. My 1-2 shift hasn’t slipped at all either so far. This is an amazing mod for any AT owner who is FI it will add a lot of performance and actually should help extend the life of your transmission. You will really want/need a trans cooler though.

The only down side is the shifts when casually driving are a bit rougher, the “built in slip” is bad for performance but good for smooth comfortable shifts. It is nothing I can’t live with daily driving, but if I frequently drove my wife/girlfriend in this car I would maybe not get it. Luckily we have the family suv for that.

Thanks for the review. It's so hard to find detailed feedback on this topic. Do you have any videos that you could share of the stage 2 valve body upshifting the gears in manual mode under light load? Besides the wot shift delays, I really don't like the slop in the gears even while casual driving. It seems like the only time this transmission is programmed to return crisp, firm, DCT-like shifts is an aggressive, medium throttle take off from a stand still. Most other take offs or rolling start scenarios seem to result in slower, softer shifts with more slip (my car is a similar 86 with EdelbrockSC/e85/350rw).
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:11 AM   #95
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,891
Thanks: 223
Thanked 1,001 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZN6 View Post
Thanks for the review. It's so hard to find detailed feedback on this topic. Do you have any videos that you could share of the stage 2 valve body upshifting the gears in manual mode under light load? Besides the wot shift delays, I really don't like the slop in the gears even while casual driving. It seems like the only time this transmission is programmed to return crisp, firm, DCT-like shifts is an aggressive, medium throttle take off from a stand still. Most other take offs or rolling start scenarios seem to result in slower, softer shifts with more slip (my car is a similar 86 with EdelbrockSC/e85/350rw).
I no longer have the vehicle.

E85 edelbrock I would say you are a good candidate for the SSP VB.

It takes out most of the slop under any load/throttle position.

The best way I can describe it is say you make 60ft lbs at 10% throttle, on stock VB you shift gears and the trans disengages for .2seconds and then re-engages new gear but only initially applies 15ft lbs at .2sec, 30ft lbs at .25sec, 45ft lbs at .3sec and finally the full commanded 60ft lbs at .35sec. Very smooth transition but slow and sloppy. this effect can also be magnified the more power over stock you make.

Now with the VB you make 60ft lbs, shift, disengages gear for .2 seconds and then re-engage new gear and immediately make the full commanded 60ftlbs at .2seconds, very quick and zero slop, but your getting hit with 60ft lbs all at once so itís not as smooth. I didnít really mind it much but itís definitely noticeable. You do get used to it more as well.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Z06ZN6 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #96
Z06ZN6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 109
Thanks: 31
Thanked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I no longer have the vehicle.
Thanks for taking the time to respond despite no longer having the car. It sounds like the SSP VB is next on the list then. I had read another review online and seen a failed install on YouTube where the reviewers said they could "kinda feel it" but that kind of review wasn't too helpful for me to decide to commit $1500 for the purchase price. Seeing how inexpensive used Autos are, I might just get a used trans from LKQ and just go through it all at once on the bench top.

FWIW, I also reached out to Bill at Delicious Tuning to see if its ever in his plan to offer something tune wise. I recall when I was down there he said something about wanting to be able to mod the Autos but am guessing this development may not be very high on the priority list. I'll reply here if there is any glimmer of hope there....
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Transmission devinclfalcons Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 60 04-29-2014 09:42 PM
best way to launch with the automatic transmission ? hankster Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 3 09-24-2012 07:06 PM
Transmission information, history. fistpoint Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 2 07-05-2012 01:36 AM
topspeed difference between manual transmission and automatic transmission torquemada BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 51 05-04-2012 07:54 PM
A little information about the Automatic ryude Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 2 12-03-2011 09:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.