follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Location: Alaska
Posts: 452
Thanks: 187
Thanked 236 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is this noise? Brake 'lsd'?

I've heard this noise at a couple of events but this is the best one that got captured on video. I'm running my 2017 Brz with Traction Control 'OFF' which I thought disables the brake lsd thing? So what do you think it is? It can be heard at: ~:35 and ~:45

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3HYMnGQhk"]July 9th Alaska SCCA Autocross C-Street 2017 Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 AM   #2
swarb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,053
Thanks: 1,773
Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Read the owners manual.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8212
2017's are slightly different.
And search for "pedal dance"
Traction control and stability control are two different things.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Location: Alaska
Posts: 452
Thanks: 187
Thanked 236 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Read the owners manual.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8212
2017's are slightly different.
And search for "pedal dance"
Traction control and stability control are two different things.
I have and it says here that in a manual car all systems should be off
https://view.joomag.com/subaru-brz-m...028204?page=11

But I'm not sure they are...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
swarb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,053
Thanks: 1,773
Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I have and it says here that in a manual car all systems should be off
https://view.joomag.com/subaru-brz-m...028204?page=11

But I'm not sure they are...
How exactly did you turn it "off" ?
And did you search "pedal dance" as previously mentioned?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 13,071
Thanked 8,902 Times in 4,675 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
But I'm not sure they are...
CSG says the pedal dance is still required on the '17+ models, however I have no idea what the "problem" is based on the video and your description.

It "sounds" like you've just overdriven the car into the corner and it's skipping along the pavement potentially exacerbated by throttle and steering inputs. No car setting will change the laws of physics that you've tried to violate. (well, ok you might be able to tune it out with some fancy dampers, but it's much cheaper to drive the car the way that keeps it happy)

fwiw ABS never shuts off if you're feeling the brake pedal pulse
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Location: Alaska
Posts: 452
Thanks: 187
Thanked 236 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
CSG says the pedal dance is still required on the '17+ models, however I have no idea what the "problem" is based on the video and your description.

It "sounds" like you've just overdriven the car into the corner and it's skipping along the pavement potentially exacerbated by throttle and steering inputs. No car setting will change the laws of physics that you've tried to violate. (well, ok you might be able to tune it out with some fancy dampers, but it's much cheaper to drive the car the way that keeps it happy)

fwiw ABS never shuts off if you're feeling the brake pedal pulse
There was no 'problem' persay, I just heard a high pitch mechanical noise coming from the back tire. The car wasn't skipping across the pavement, but I was making those Michelin pss work. That run I finally hit the line I was wanting and resulted in besting the 2 other CS miatas and the 2 Z06s

well dang... I really thought I could avoid the pedal dance non-sense by going with a 2017 model... I guess we will see next month if I feel/hear any differences at the next event.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 13,071
Thanked 8,902 Times in 4,675 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I just heard a high pitch mechanical noise coming from the back tire
Now that's something I can listen for.

I hear it too, what brake pads are you running?

If it is the brakes activating (which would make sense for 'auto-LSD' to be working hard there) the pedal dance should cure it. Presuming you're doing the full 3s press to turn off the TC already. (based on the description in the OP you have read the manual for your car and are differentiating between the modes)

Supposedly the slip light will flash when the car engages auto-LSD mode, if you can get a camera over your shoulder, on the driver window or on your helmet that could tell you right away if that's what's happening.

Marketing has pulled the wool over the eyes of new sports car buyers for a long time, at least this doesn't render the car undriveable.

And it could always be some other odd noise, these aren't bimmers after all with several hundred lbs worth of sound deadening.

Read through the whole pedal dance thread, there are some foibles and I certainly struggled with adapting to it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
imnotsureaboutbrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Location: Alaska
Posts: 452
Thanks: 187
Thanked 236 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Now that's something I can listen for.

I hear it too, what brake pads are you running?

If it is the brakes activating (which would make sense for 'auto-LSD' to be working hard there) the pedal dance should cure it. Presuming you're doing the full 3s press to turn off the TC already. (based on the description in the OP you have read the manual for your car and are differentiating between the modes)

Supposedly the slip light will flash when the car engages auto-LSD mode, if you can get a camera over your shoulder, on the driver window or on your helmet that could tell you right away if that's what's happening.

Marketing has pulled the wool over the eyes of new sports car buyers for a long time, at least this doesn't render the car undriveable.

And it could always be some other odd noise, these aren't bimmers after all with several hundred lbs worth of sound deadening.

Read through the whole pedal dance thread, there are some foibles and I certainly struggled with adapting to it.
Thanks, I'm running the factory brembo pads. At the next event I'll do the pedal dance and see if the noise is still there.

I was doing the 3-sec hold and thought everything was off. The day before we ran the cars in a downpour and the car let me loose control the put it in a spin, so a fair bit of the system is disabled.

I guess it really boils down to two concerns for me. 1) Did Subaru lie and the Brake LSD on or 2) is something loose that shouldn't be.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 1,360
Thanked 1,772 Times in 796 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Either I', missing something or your mixing up terminology.

WTF is a "Brake/Auto LSD"?

AFAIK all are cars have is a basic Torsen unit.
100% mechanical

Am I missing something?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 13,071
Thanked 8,902 Times in 4,675 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Either I', missing something or your mixing up terminology.

WTF is a "Brake/Auto LSD"?

AFAIK all are cars have is a basic Torsen unit.
100% mechanical

Am I missing something?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

Toyota's traction control will still apply the brakes on the inside wheel if it has lifted as part of an "auto-LSD" function, there's more written about it elsewhere but the above is the effects and how to 'beat' them if you feel the need to.

TC "off" really is mostly off, it won't save you unless it thinks there is something wrong with the car, rear wheels leaving the ground is apparently part of that equation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Sleepless
Senior Member
 
Sleepless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 639
Thanks: 297
Thanked 392 Times in 229 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Either I', missing something or your mixing up terminology.

WTF is a "Brake/Auto LSD"?

AFAIK all are cars have is a basic Torsen unit.
100% mechanical

Am I missing something?
This has a great explanation: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...baru-brz-work/
__________________
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepless For This Useful Post:
trvth (07-18-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
Sleepless
Senior Member
 
Sleepless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 639
Thanks: 297
Thanked 392 Times in 229 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why would one want Brake LSD off?

Does the pedal dance turn it off?
__________________
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 1,360
Thanked 1,772 Times in 796 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@strat61caster and @Sleeples
Thank you for the info.

Very smart idea if you ask me.
Only big problem with the torsen being a lifted wheel making it an open diff.
And if that is the case, yes, why turn it off.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 13,071
Thanked 8,902 Times in 4,675 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Sleepless @x808drifter

Per the CSG thread mentioned like 6 times already some feel that the EBD system prevents trail braking and weight transfer and the sudden application of brakes midcorner creates unexpected behaviour. (I haven't really felt that, trail braking for me)

I honestly don't know if that's what op is hearing but I think it's worth experimenting with. Knowing if the slip light is flashing will determine if the car is doing something without having a test.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Brake issue "clunking noise" when pulling the e-brake while rolling. Kinzo Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 55 06-20-2018 10:14 PM
Diagnosing a brake noise, need help.. Subie_Nubie Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 18 12-27-2017 02:47 AM
Brake pedal release noise FR-YES Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 4 10-19-2014 04:39 AM
Loud clunk noise when i pull E-Brake Deagle50 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 28 09-20-2014 01:01 AM
rear brake noise norcal_brz Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 1 08-19-2013 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.