follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
Berserker

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT / Rom Raider info needed

First time messing with the OFT. I have searched high and low for info on this site but can't seem to come up with it so here goes.. I made 3 pulls on the dyno Stock tune for a base line and went ahead and loaded the Stg1 map. Made 3 more pulls all is good. I have data logged all the stock runs and stg1 runs to this point.

I now want to start making changes to timing, load, fueling etc. Romraider needs the right Definition files. I did research and using the OFT Def's only seems to be the key. Back in the day is was V2.06 zip folder with everything in it. When I downloaded my Free maps off openflash's site the last file is a V4 .XTL File which is what I am using as the definition file. The Stg1 image opens in rom raider but the real problem that I am having is major power / trq loss from what seems to be load being clipped.

If I open the stg1 map in rom raider, make 0 changes and load it back in my OFT and make another pull and it's down 20-30 at the same timing, but load seems off. The first time I loaded through rom raider I made a small timing change after 5600rpm, had the issue and then tried opening the stg1 map with No changes at all as a test and the loss is still there.

I keep thinking my Definition file I am using has a glitch or isn't good? I have the latest OFT V4 files. Any direction on which definition file I should be using exactly?

I appreciate the input. Something is off & it's driving me wild.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,291 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you let the ECU re-calibrate after flashing?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Berserker (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
Berserker

I was just about to follow up, it was temp sensitive / re learn. I was letting it idle for 1-2 mins but some pulls were at 172-176F after doing a bunch at 185F-190 all is good. Thanks for the reply. I’m going to go through all the tables Tonight that I didn’t have a chance to go through today. Love the rom raider software / ease of oft.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I was just about to follow up, it was temp sensitive / re learn. I was letting it idle for 1-2 mins but some pulls were at 172-176F after doing a bunch at 185F-190 all is good. Thanks for the reply. I’m going to go through all the tables Tonight that I didn’t have a chance to go through today. Love the rom raider software / ease of oft.
V4 OFT tunes also default to IAM of .7
Berserker (07-14-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:28 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79152

Download the tune qgqin from oft site flash that without editing see if problem solved if so you likely changed something in romraider by mistake, delete any tune files you edited.

Make sure the correct def is in romraider and you only have one def in the list of romraider defs

also after flashing male sure you let car idle and check vvt cams are active

log cams with oft if they dont move cams not active and it will run base timing A table not vase B as its in low power vvt off mode

some cars take a while to activate cams and need bit of driving and a restart and more idle
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Berserker (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79152

Download the tune qgqin from oft site flash that without editing see if problem solved if so you likely changed something in romraider by mistake, delete any tune files you edited.

Make sure the correct def is in romraider and you only have one def in the list of romraider defs

also after flashing male sure you let car idle and check vvt cams are active

log cams with oft if they dont move cams not active and it will run base timing A table not vase B as its in low power vvt off mode

some cars take a while to activate cams and need bit of driving and a restart and more idle
Thanks Steve I have read some great info from your posts, thanks for all you do.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Berserker: also few steps one can take after flashing or disconnecting battery to quicken/shorten "relearning" bits (though not sure how some of steps are applicable if in case of AT though):
- dead pedal fix (relearn throttle pedal travel. IGN:ON (press twice start button w/o clutch pressed), press fuly & release accel pedal few times, then IGN:OFF)
- idle rpm learn (start engine, idle 1min w/o doing anything)
- drive in 3rd gear at around 2-2.5K rpm at ~ 20% throttle, slight left foot braking if needed to prevent acceleration, to reset IAM to 1?
- slowly/steady accelerate 2K-7K in 3rd gear to relearn fuel trims
.. or at very least do first two steps as simplest/quickest, and then just drive normally, 2nd & 3rd more or less happening over time of some driving/mileage.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Berserker (07-15-2021), JohnH (08-18-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@Berserker: also few steps one can take after flashing or disconnecting battery to quicken/shorten "relearning" bits (though not sure how some of steps are applicable if in case of AT though):
- dead pedal fix (relearn throttle pedal travel. IGN:ON (press twice start button w/o clutch pressed), press fuly & release accel pedal few times, then IGN:OFF)
- idle rpm learn (start engine, idle 1min w/o doing anything)
- drive in 3rd gear at around 2-2.5K rpm at ~ 20% throttle, slight left foot braking if needed to prevent acceleration, to reset IAM to 1?
- slowly/steady accelerate 2K-7K in 3rd gear to relearn fuel trims
.. or at very least do first two steps as simplest/quickest, and then just drive normally, 2nd & 3rd more or less happening over time of some driving/mileage.

Thanks for the tips I tune Ford Ecu's on a regular, just a bit different process right after the flash is done on these 86's.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:15 AM   #9
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@churchx thanks. I hadn't heard of that dead pedal thing. Thats the sort of thing that all the tuning pros should be telling us in the step by step processes.
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote