follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Plug connected to negative terminal on battery.

Is anyone familiar with what these 4 wires are for?

I've tried just grounding them to the chassis and the car won't start anymore, they need to be connected directly to the battery.

I'm trying to relocate my battery.
crazyfrenchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrenchbiker View Post
Is anyone familiar with what these 4 wires are for?

I've tried just grounding them to the chassis and the car won't start anymore, they need to be connected directly to the battery.

I'm trying to relocate my battery.
PICS??
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Old 01-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking through the shop manual it appears to be a sensor for determining battery temperature. Starts on page 3057 of the shop manual.
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
So truthfully I have never relocated a battery, however I always assumed one would simply hook thick copper lines to the terminals, run them to the new location, and attach new terminals to the end. Would that not work?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
So truthfully I have never relocated a battery, however I always assumed one would simply hook thick copper lines to the terminals, run them to the new location, and attach new terminals to the end. Would that not work?
Yes, that can be done and that's how most kits work, I'm simply hoping to shave weight and remove the terminals. I wonder if it's possible to disable the sensor.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is the battery current sensor. There's more to the circuit than all of the wires being connected the ground so that will not work. I'm not fully sure how it works but there's likely a positive in that bunch of wires too, so if you ground that line that's likely to stop the electronics from working that are on the other side. That may be causing your not starting issue. The circuit's built into the negative terminal connector so you might be forced to leave it. The current is needed so the ECU can make sure the alternator keeps up with the power consumption and doesn't drain the battery while driving.
jcw99 (07-23-2021), Strife26 (01-27-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
94CelicaGT

Drives: '14 Firestorm FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So this happened..

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i did a search and this is what came up.

I had a clunking sound in the car for a while and when i decided to check it out it was that my battery tie down rattled loose. The short j-bolt was completely gone and the battery was clunking around inside the engine bay and the wires on the battery current sensor were all severed but one, the green one which is VIN most likely the power for the sensor.

I can confirm the car works without this connected. Doesn't even throw a cel. Not sure how long it will be before the battery goes dead or explodes or whatever. maybe nothing?

Does anyone know how long the car will run like this? Is it even charging the battery like this? overcharging it?
Attached Images

94CelicaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Jacluley

Drives: 2013 FR-S, White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Second Revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CelicaGT View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i did a search and this is what came up.

I had a clunking sound in the car for a while and when i decided to check it out it was that my battery tie down rattled loose. The short j-bolt was completely gone and the battery was clunking around inside the engine bay and the wires on the battery current sensor were all severed but one, the green one which is VIN most likely the power for the sensor.

I can confirm the car works without this connected. Doesn't even throw a cel. Not sure how long it will be before the battery goes dead or explodes or whatever. maybe nothing?

Does anyone know how long the car will run like this? Is it even charging the battery like this? overcharging it?

Sames as above, sorry this looks ancient, but I thought I would add in what I found. I had exactly the same issue as last post, and think I have found the correct connector to replace it. I will update if it ends up not working.

https://nexelec.com/YAZAKI-7283885330/

Just attaching the info, not recommending that as a source. It appears to be a connector common on Nissans, so pigtails are available.
Jacluley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacluley For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-23-2021), soundman98 (07-21-2021), Ultramaroon (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacluley View Post
Sames as above, sorry this looks ancient, but I thought I would add in what I found. I had exactly the same issue as last post, and think I have found the correct connector to replace it. I will update if it ends up not working.

https://nexelec.com/YAZAKI-7283885330/

Just attaching the info, not recommending that as a source. It appears to be a connector common on Nissans, so pigtails are available.
Welcome! Thanks for the info.