follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
Phuviano

Drives: FRS RS 2.0 #757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tein flex a or flex z coilovers?

Thinking about buying coilovers. Strictly a street driven car. Might go try out the track one day, but it won't be a track car.

Do you guys think it's worth the price difference between the flex a vs flex z? Or should I get the flex z and save some money?

Also, what rear camber arms would you suggest. I want to have stock like camber and toe specs, while being lowered.

Thanks.
Phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The Flex As have the hydro bump stop so will be significantly better for street driving.

"I want to have stock like camber and toe specs, while being lowered." - No you don't. When you lower your car, you are in the process altering suspension geometry. Depending on how low you go, will determine what you need to correct, but at no point should you be shooting for a stock alignment, rather you should determine your expected ride height and align for that. Additionally, for handling performance you want more camber in the front than in the rear. A good place to start for a street-focused alignment would be around -2.2 to -2.5 in the front and -0.8 to -1 in the rear. You should be getting 0 toe in the front and about 1/16th toe in the rear. This is with an expected 1-1.25" drop.

For additional parts, you'll need at minimum a set of rear LCAs. You can get the SPC rear LCAs as a decentish cheap option. SPC also offers a complete alignment kit which includes rear LCAs, rear toe arms, and front camber bolts, however if you get Flex As they have camber plates already for the front.

If you're going the Flex A route, you should consider the CSG Spec Flex As.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Escher (12-25-2021), Phuviano (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
You should be getting 0 toe in the front
Any reason why you wouldn't recommend a smidgen of toe out? I find that it helps a lot on this car for turn in and braking stability. On point with everything else you've said, the camber plates up front are a huge plus, but the rear LCA are seriously needed for any lowering beyond 1"
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The TEIN Flex Z coilovers are valved more for bumpy North American roads and will offer a more comfortable ride. On the softest dampening setting the Flex Z's will ride like a Lexus and your passengers will love the ride! If you are just driving on the street, these are a perfect choice. Comfortable ride, eliminated body roll, and much better handling over stock. They are capable of track duty as well.

I have the TEIN Flex A coilovers installed on my FRS and though they aren't harsh, the ride is more firm on the Flex A than on the Flex Z, which is why TEIN decided to incorporate the Hydraulic Bump Stop. They are valved with smoother roads in mind, like on a track. I love how the Flex A's drive, but IMO they are overkill if you plan to just do street driving.

As far as rear LCA's go, what's your budget and how low did you plan to drop the car? Feel free to shoot me a PM or email and we can discuss options!

-Sam
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (08-05-2022), Phuviano (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
SPC LCA's have been fine for me. Cheap, ugly and effective.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Phuviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
The Flex As have the hydro bump stop so will be significantly better for street driving.

"I want to have stock like camber and toe specs, while being lowered." - No you don't. When you lower your car, you are in the process altering suspension geometry. Depending on how low you go, will determine what you need to correct, but at no point should you be shooting for a stock alignment, rather you should determine your expected ride height and align for that. Additionally, for handling performance you want more camber in the front than in the rear. A good place to start for a street-focused alignment would be around -2.2 to -2.5 in the front and -0.8 to -1 in the rear. You should be getting 0 toe in the front and about 1/16th toe in the rear. This is with an expected 1-1.25" drop.

For additional parts, you'll need at minimum a set of rear LCAs. You can get the SPC rear LCAs as a decentish cheap option. SPC also offers a complete alignment kit which includes rear LCAs, rear toe arms, and front camber bolts, however if you get Flex As they have camber plates already for the front.

If you're going the Flex A route, you should consider the CSG Spec Flex As.
Ok, cool thanks for the advice.

What's different about the CSG Spec Flex A's? I'm in Canada, so not sure if i want to deal with customs.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Phuviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
The TEIN Flex Z coilovers are valved more for bumpy North American roads and will offer a more comfortable ride. On the softest dampening setting the Flex Z's will ride like a Lexus and your passengers will love the ride! If you are just driving on the street, these are a perfect choice. Comfortable ride, eliminated body roll, and much better handling over stock. They are capable of track duty as well.

I have the TEIN Flex A coilovers installed on my FRS and though they aren't harsh, the ride is more firm on the Flex A than on the Flex Z, which is why TEIN decided to incorporate the Hydraulic Bump Stop. They are valved with smoother roads in mind, like on a track. I love how the Flex A's drive, but IMO they are overkill if you plan to just do street driving.

As far as rear LCA's go, what's your budget and how low did you plan to drop the car? Feel free to shoot me a PM or email and we can discuss options!

-Sam
hmm.. interesting. I'm ok with stock like suspension in terms of harshness/stiff, but don't want to make it much worse if any.

As for height. I'm thinking anywhere between no wheel gap (not tucking though) to maybe a 1 finger gap.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post

-Sam
Actually, the Flex A and Flex Z valving profile is almost identical. The difference is the Flex A is rebuildable, whereas the Flex Z is not. The Flex A has the HBS to prevent bottoming out under harsh conditions.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuviano View Post
Ok, cool thanks for the advice.

What's different about the CSG Spec Flex A's? I'm in Canada, so not sure if i want to deal with customs.
The CSG spec Flex A's have a completely changed valving profile to truly maximize the strengths of the platform. The HBS has been redesigned into am internal secondary spring, to give you a track spring rate only under track conditions.

On the street setting, the CSG FLA rides **smoother** than stock. This has been independently verified. Check out this thread for the data. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126107

On track settings the CSG FLA sets records. Best of both worlds.

You can switch between the two settings by just turning the knobs; it takes less than 30 seconds.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Actually, the Flex A and Flex Z valving profile is almost identical. The difference is the Flex A is rebuildable, whereas the Flex Z is not. The Flex A has the HBS to prevent bottoming out under harsh conditions.
I see. I'm just stating what Paul and Adrian from TEIN USA told me about the valving for both kits, and my personal experience from driving customer cars and my own FRS with the Flex A's on them.

-Sam
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
dsc_pat (02-10-2022)