follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake Light Constantly On or Constantly Off

Hey everyone,

I have an issue where when the light selection indicator is set to auto, the brake lights do not work and do not illuminate when pressed or when the e-brake is pulled.

Conversely, when the light selection indicator is set to parking/accessory, then the brake lights stay illuminated, even when the brake pedal is not pressed or the e-brake is not pulled.

When the light selection indicator is set to headlights, it is the same as when it is set to parking—the brake light is on and stays illuminate, even when not pressed.

I thought it was an issue with the brake light switch so I have tried adjusting it, and have even tested it with it pulled out, but the results are always the same—brake lights always on when set to headlight or parking, and brake lights always off when set to auto, no matter the input of the brake pedal.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it a faulty brake light switch or something else?

Thanks,
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
It sounds like the problem is in the tail lights. Are the tail lights standard.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #3
nwgabrz

The taillights are aftermarket, but there weren't any issues with them before. The issue right now is not only limited to the taillights, but also the third brake light and the fourth brake light. The taillights and third brake light were all in working order—perhaps the wiring of the fourth brake light is causing the issue?

The fourth brake light was installed a month or two ago so it is the latest addition. Of course, there's no way for me to have known about the brake light issue until a friend who was driving behind me pointed it out today. I will try disconnecting the 4th brake light tomorrow and see if there are any changes.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
The taillights are aftermarket, but there weren't any issues with them before. The issue right now is not only limited to the taillights, but also the third brake light and the fourth brake light. The taillights and third brake light were all in working order—perhaps the wiring of the fourth brake light is causing the issue?

The fourth brake light was installed a month or two ago so it is the latest addition. Of course, there's no way for me to have known about the brake light issue until a friend who was driving behind me pointed it out today. I will try disconnecting the 4th brake light tomorrow and see if there are any changes.
Yeah, it's definitely the wiring from what you seem to describe. I would go and double check everything is connected properly and make connections secure. That goes for the taillights, and your 4th brake light connection.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you have that 4th brake light tapped into the running lights, or it is back feeding.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i throw my tool bag on the brake pedal so i can check these kinds of things after i install new lights. the trick is to not tell the car you're not using your foot.
NoHaveMSG (06-12-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 01:37 AM   #7
nwgabrz

Thanks everyone, I will recheck the 4th brake light and test it out. Hopefully that's what's causing it. Will keep everyone posted.