follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #113
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2014 brz I got in may 2014. boosted at 10k miles w/ JR kit. I'm now at over 30k. dual catch cans
JR oil cooler
carb tune(13k miles)
Delicious Flash 'n' go tune(7k miles).
no catalytic converter in the FP anymore.

Its my daily. I've done an autocross, plenty of canyon runs. Hooned it out in the desert on dirt pretttyyy hard. I redline it at least 3 times on my commute (1st, 2nd gear), mostly getting onto freeway. no real race track driving though. still no sign of it giving out. except my clutch(stock)... I'm going to need a new one soon.

I honestly don't care if I have to rebuild the engine at 80k miles. Its so much fun. It wouldn't be the same driving the car without the sc... still fun... but not as much fun. So its worth it to me. I think the main thing is being able to take care of the car yourself. being able to do the work, and handle the little nuances that come with a modified car. knowing how to do all the maint and care. it goes a long way as to how long your car will last.
LenA (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #114
Arcainum

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2007 FJ cruiser
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At what point is an engine too old for boost?
Arcainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #115
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
hey I had to replace my engine at 85K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuningshen View Post
2014 brz I got in may 2014. boosted at 10k miles w/ JR kit. I'm now at over 30k. dual catch cans
JR oil cooler
carb tune(13k miles)
Delicious Flash 'n' go tune(7k miles).
no catalytic converter in the FP anymore.

Its my daily. I've done an autocross, plenty of canyon runs. Hooned it out in the desert on dirt pretttyyy hard. I redline it at least 3 times on my commute (1st, 2nd gear), mostly getting onto freeway. no real race track driving though. still no sign of it giving out. except my clutch(stock)... I'm going to need a new one soon.

I honestly don't care if I have to rebuild the engine at 80k miles. Its so much fun. It wouldn't be the same driving the car without the sc... still fun... but not as much fun. So its worth it to me. I think the main thing is being able to take care of the car yourself. being able to do the work, and handle the little nuances that come with a modified car. knowing how to do all the maint and care. it goes a long way as to how long your car will last.
I just swapped out my engine that spun a rod bearing at 85K and I was only E85 N/A so if you have to rebuild it at 80K on boost, at least you get that extra fun for those 80K..

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #116
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Boosted for 2 years now, almost 50k miles total, half of those being boosted. Still runs perfect.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-30-2016), raven1231 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #117
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yes there's a way. Build your engine fully, block and heads, by a reputable shop.

turbo it, add the correct high quality supporting mods, and you'll be good.

We're talking about $20K+ Washington's
DO you feel that is whats accurate for all NA engines going FI or just the gt86?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #118
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
DO you feel that is whats accurate for all NA engines going FI or just the gt86?
Not all cars are the same some motors are stronger or more well known from factory, there are various options (longer time on market) and thus are cheaper to modify.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #119
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Not all cars are the same some motors are stronger or more well known from factory, there are various options (longer time on market) and thus are cheaper to modify.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ive been contemplating selling the 86 going with a NC miata supercharged because I understand their are fewer headaches. Im not tech savy.

I just fucking love lightweight, rear wheel drive and responsive cars soo much. I have a 2015 wrx as well but I will drive the frs all day.

I cant afford a Porsche so what am I left with??!!!

Damn you auto industry
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #120
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'm wondering how that electric SC is going to be (if they ever get it to market). It's fairly low boost and it doesn't look at that complicated. Not a lot of added power from it, but a bump in torque would be great. I'd think that adding just 4 or 5 psi would be safe.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #121
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I'm wondering how that electric SC is going to be (if they ever get it to market). It's fairly low boost and it doesn't look at that complicated. Not a lot of added power from it, but a bump in torque would be great. I'd think that adding just 4 or 5 psi would be safe.
I had the phantom SC and sold it after a mos. I hated it. Not what its hyped up to be. Dont get your hopes up with that one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
guybo (07-21-2016), raven1231 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #122
FingR-S
I got sucked into boost..

Drives: Whiteout FR-S & Supercharged BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Phantom ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
I had the phantom SC and sold it after a mos. I hated it. Not what its hyped up to be. Dont get your hopes up with that one

Interesting that you hated the ESC. What version where you running - and with the OFT? I ask because I used the ESC (v1.5 with boost at about 75% throttle with custom OFT tune which helped a lot to smooth things out) for about a year and a half and it was overall a great add-on for daily driving. I never went to the track with it - as I never bought it for that really. I thought it was a really good bang for buck experience and sold it only since I went SC'd. If I were to do it again, I would add the Procede controller to map out the entire throttle range like a proper SC.
The Following User Says Thank You to FingR-S For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #123
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingR-S View Post
Interesting that you hated the ESC. What version where you running - and with the OFT? I ask because I used the ESC (v1.5 with boost at about 75% throttle with custom OFT tune which helped a lot to smooth things out) for about a year and a half and it was overall a great add-on for daily driving. I never went to the track with it - as I never bought it for that really. I thought it was a really good bang for buck experience and sold it only since I went SC'd. If I were to do it again, I would add the Procede controller to map out the entire throttle range like a proper SC.
yes, that was a big complaint of mine. I gave up on it before the ability to apply partial boost with the controller came out.

did you notice the throttle response felt mucky or less sensitive then without the phantom? I used the OFT and had their canned tune. I know a lot of people reported that the resitriction from the phantom was minor but it was serious enough for me. The love the car because of its feed back and it just robed some of that for me.

what s/c you have now and how much it cost you to get it in and tuned? everything?
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #124
FingR-S
I got sucked into boost..

Drives: Whiteout FR-S & Supercharged BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I bought he BRZ already with the Vortech installed - so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
I still have to have shiv do a custom tune on it.
The belt is a little squeaky, so I ordered a new one.
I saved a bunch of money buying it already installed on the car

I felt the ESC actually improved my throttle response. What air cleaner where you using?
I had the aFe non-oil drop-in cleaner in stock airbox.
As soon as I installed the ESC I noticed much better response. When I had shiv modify my tune - that made it even smoother.
It wasn't a perfect set up but I really enjoyed what it did to the whole response of the car.
Shiv did mention that canned tunes for any SC usually don't really work well, and optimally every motor will need its own proper tune (etune) to get the best out of the SC or FI setup.

Another scenario is making sure that the ESC compressor was aligned well. If it was skewed or not coming out straight from the throttle body, that would also cause weird response and some restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk