follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #127
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
And aside from the controversial black face picture, I see Trudeau wearing what appears to be Indian cultural clothing. If that's embarrassing, you are a racist!!!Just calling it out as I see it.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...wedding-outfit

I got it, the multiple times of blackface by him is just "controversial" and myself along with actual Indians calling the the clothing embarrassing is racist. This place is full of entertainment.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
why? (04-21-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #128
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...wedding-outfit

I got it, the multiple times of blackface by him is just "controversial" and myself along with actual Indians calling the the clothing embarrassing is racist. This place is full of entertainment.
Not defending that or anything he does. I read articles saying he wore garish Indian "wedding clothes" when in India with his family. We have a shit ton of Indians in Canada, 90% from the Punjab. I didn't vote for him in 2 elections either. Oh well. Zzzzzz
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #129
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
FWIW, the photo you posted of "Hiroshima" is actually Yokohama.
I beg to differ with you on that Japanese city, GE seems to show that it IS Hiroshima.

Yep, it's a slow day here on the reservation -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #130
Pouncer

Drives: 2020 CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I beg to differ with you on that Japanese city, GE seems to show that it IS Hiroshima.

Yep, it's a slow day here on the reservation -
Sorry - I should have been clear that the colorful, brightly-lit, futuristic looking city was Yokohama, not the bombed out one next to it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hiroshima-vs-detroit/
Pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #131
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Sounds like a typical day around here. That's why they have gravel runoff areas on the downhill side of the mountain.
I lost track, or never knew, what state do you live in?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #132
humfrz

Quote:
Sorry - I should have been clear that the colorful, brightly-lit, futuristic looking city was Yokohama, not the bombed out one next to it.

OK, well, just don't be ah tryen to confuse an old man on Saturday - or any other day -

SATURDAY! My shower day! Too late now, I'll take it tomorrow - if I remember. -
Old 04-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #133
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

It was pretty clear. That's why you showed the futuristic pic of Detroit.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #134
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh I am used to it. Some people don't like to hear that their imaginary little vison of the auto industry is not what it appears in magazines and the internet.
The reality is it is one of the most seriously fucked up systems there ever was (yes even Toyota) and doesn't deal with sudden changes well. All of the top dogs are running around right now screaming "OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT" and even the best are going to have to adjust their ways.
My only message through all this has been to not expect the normal things to happen and forget what the companies said, planned or did even a month ago but somehow that just can not be believed by some. They think that it will blow over and everything will be just dandy with cars overflowing from the lots and dealers that will want to unload them for almost free.

I missed this post and have to disagree with your first two opinions.

Toyota is famous throughout the world for their just in time manufacturing system that reacts to market demand more quickly than any other manufacturer and was copied by most. It explains why their inventory levels are usually half the industry standard 60 days for all series helping to make Toyota the most profitable auto manufacturer in history.

I've toured several Toyota plants and saw JIT in action. At the Tahara plant, based on daily sales reporting trends and US dealer request, I saw them change dies in a press bigger than a two-story traditional home and start stamping out completely different unibodies...in under an hour. At the time, no other auto manufacturer could do that even after they were invited to participate but blew it off initially.

The sudden changes underway now have never been seen before. I'm certainly not a Pollyanna underestimating the damage to the auto industry and overall economy.

Anyone can and have said there will be a new normal but I can say after sitting in on weekly Zoom meetings with senior level TMNA executives that if they're panicked, it doesn't show...yet, but Japan staffers never lost their cool even during the Fukushima event and aftermath that devastated their homeland.

Yep, there's a new normal. Who will adapt best remains to be seen but based on Toyota executives initial reactions, experience from spending my working career in the auto industry, and seeing their plans, my bet is on Toyota short and long term.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #135
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I missed this post and have to disagree with your first two opinions.

Toyota is famous throughout the world for their just in time manufacturing system that reacts to market demand more quickly than any other manufacturer and was copied by most. It explains why their inventory levels are usually half the industry standard 60 days for all series helping to make Toyota the most profitable auto manufacturer in history.

I've toured several Toyota plants and saw JIT in action. At the Tahara plant, based on daily sales reporting trends and US dealer request, I saw them change dies in a press bigger than a two-story traditional home and start stamping out completely different unibodies...in under an hour. At the time, no other auto manufacturer could do that even after they were invited to participate but blew it off initially.

The sudden changes underway now have never been seen before. I'm certainly not a Pollyanna underestimating the damage to the auto industry and overall economy.

Anyone can and have said there will be a new normal but I can say after sitting in on weekly Zoom meetings with senior level TMNA executives that if they're panicked, it doesn't show...yet, but Japan staffers never lost their cool even during the Fukushima event and aftermath that devastated their homeland.

Yep, there's a new normal. Who will adapt best remains to be seen but based on Toyota executives initial reactions, experience from spending my working career in the auto industry, and seeing their plans, my bet is on Toyota short and long term.
I went through the BMW plant in South Carolina. I can't speak for every manufacture, but I had always assumed they just produced cars based on what they thought would sell and in batches of blacks, whites, reds, etc, but BMW builds vehicles as the orders come in. Their buyers are dealerships and individuals. It is all the same to them, so as orders come in the vehicles get made. As you look down the assembly line, random models in random colors with different specs come rolling down the line, and it is all seamless. There is no surplus of cars from their perspective.

Now, BMW's biggest customers are dealers, so if those dealers don't sell their innovatory then BMW loses out on new sales because new orders will dry up, yet they are still not holding onto those unsold assets; it is the dealers.

Again, maybe this is how all car sales work, but I can say that it probably doesn't work that way for Tesla, who doesn't have a dealer network.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #136
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I went through the BMW plant in South Carolina. I can't speak for every manufacture, but I had always assumed they just produced cars based on what they thought would sell and in batches of blacks, whites, reds, etc, but BMW builds vehicles as the orders come in. Their buyers are dealerships and individuals. It is all the same to them, so as orders come in the vehicles get made. As you look down the assembly line, random models in random colors with different specs come rolling down the line, and it is all seamless. There is no surplus of cars from their perspective.

Now, BMW's biggest customers are dealers, so if those dealers don't sell their innovatory then BMW loses out on new sales because new orders will dry up, yet they are still not holding onto those unsold assets; it is the dealers.

Again, maybe this is how all car sales work, but I can say that it probably doesn't work that way for Tesla, who doesn't have a dealer network.

Toyota is completely different and responsive to daily sales tracking by series, model, colors int/ext, accessories and packages by country and region and from input through monthly Dealer Council advisory meetings, product planners and forecasters. Nothing is random.

I should add that working with TMC staff wasn't always a bed of roses. Sometimes it felt like I was surrounded by Tora! Tora! Tora! central casting. They had their cultural ways to make their points and you didn't want to be on the receiving end of their displeasure. They also offered generous carrots so it balanced out eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #137
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Toyota is completely different and responsive to daily sales tracking by series, model, colors int/ext, accessories and packages by country and region and from input through monthly Dealer Council advisory meetings, product planners and forecasters. Nothing is random.

I should add that working with TMC staff wasn't always a bed of roses. Sometimes it felt like I was surrounded by Tora! Tora! Tora! central casting. They had their cultural ways to make their points and you didn't want to be on the receiving end of their displeasure. They also offered generous carrots so it balanced out eventually.
It sounds like you are saying they keep their parts inventory and flow more regulated. In that regards, I don't know how BMW manages what parts are coming into their factories. I know some do this better than others. For instance, it was said that when Tim Cook was hired under Steve Jobs, that he was able to reduce their parts stock from a years worth of inventory to a few weeks, which really tightened waste and potential losses--improving efficiency/profits.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #138
Atmo

Quote:
It sounds like you are saying they keep their parts inventory and flow more regulated. In that regards, I don't know how BMW manages what parts are coming into their factories. I know some do this better than others. For instance, it was said that when Tim Cook was hired under Steve Jobs, that he was able to reduce their parts stock from a years worth of inventory to a few weeks, which really tightened waste and potential losses--improving efficiency/profits.
Right, Toyota doesn't accept orders from dealers or customers except in rare cases. If they did, dealers would tend to order only the hottest sellers, leaving product planning in chaos.

You'd think JIT would be a weak link with supply chain disruption possible with the slightest hiccup, but Fukushima showed that they were able to react quickly and barely lose a beat despite the supply chain being disrupted so quickly. I'm expecting a similar response next month as production ramps up again as planned, subject to change. With reduced retail sales, dealer inventories from port stock shipments is still alright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #139
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

also critical here is that we as consumers can order any specific package/color from bmw. bmw also allows picking up straight from the plant in some cases.

but you can't do any of that with toyota. colors and options are all predetermined to ship out to wherever they see fit. if you want any specific package/color/transmission, it's up to you find a dealer that cares enough to locate it across the entire countries supply, and up to the dealer that ended up with that specific option to be willing to give it up.

it's part of how they cut costs, by eliminating custom orders, they're able to know exactly what, where, and how much of any specific thing they need for production at any given time.
Atmo (04-19-2020), Irace86.2.0 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #140
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
also critical here is that we as consumers can order any specific package/color from bmw. bmw also allows picking up straight from the plant in some cases.

but you can't do any of that with toyota. colors and options are all predetermined to ship out to wherever they see fit. if you want any specific package/color/transmission, it's up to you find a dealer that cares enough to locate it across the entire countries supply, and up to the dealer that ended up with that specific option to be willing to give it up.

it's part of how they cut costs, by eliminating custom orders, they're able to know exactly what, where, and how much of any specific thing they need for production at any given time.

About 25%-30% of all retail U.S. sales are a result of dealer trades.