follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
Smurfette

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@CSG_David, I would go to you, but I'm in San Francisco!

Thanks for the great advice. Sounds like the XP10 could be a good bet. I hear they eat the rotors though, but I can just replace them with Centrics when they do? Where is the best place to get the XP10?

I've done between a dozen and two dozen track days, done racing school, so advanced intermediate? It's been about 2 years since I last went to the track, and I am tempted to get the StopTechs because they are cheap, but I would be very if I got brake fade and had to end early.

Eventually may look at upgrading to ST43 and more aggressive tires. Maybe some SS brake lines, SSR 18" if I go BBK, etc.

How important is it that I upgrade to SS brake lines, and do you guys have any recommendations? Planning on running Motul RBF 600. It's what I have now, but I want to do a flush.
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette View Post
@CSG_David, I would go to you, but I'm in San Francisco!

Thanks for the great advice. Sounds like the XP10 could be a good bet. I hear they eat the rotors though, but I can just replace them with Centrics when they do? Where is the best place to get the XP10?

I've done between a dozen and two dozen track days, done racing school, so advanced intermediate? It's been about 2 years since I last went to the track, and I am tempted to get the StopTechs because they are cheap, but I would be very if I got brake fade and had to end early.

Eventually may look at upgrading to ST43 and more aggressive tires. Maybe some SS brake lines, SSR 18" if I go BBK, etc.

How important is it that I upgrade to SS brake lines, and do you guys have any recommendations? Planning on running Motul RBF 600. It's what I have now, but I want to do a flush.
I wouldn't get the SS brake lines unless I had to... especially on a newer car, I would, instead, periodically check the lines because when they fail they just fail, with OEM lines you would be able to tell they start going bad.. if you're getting a BBK you will have to replace them though since they come with the kit
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I really liked the XP12s for its "OEM-like" feedback and the noise levels but the problem was the pad life, I stilll destroyed them quickly though , that might also have to do with the power levels of the car and it (or even the XP10s) may last longer for an NA car
Has to do with heat. Raybestos are good pads too. The range of modulation is different of course.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I really liked the XP12s for its "OEM-like" feedback and the noise levels but the problem was the pad life, I stilll destroyed them quickly though , that might also have to do with the power levels of the car and it (or even the XP10s) may last longer for an NA car
You need a BBK.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #19
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Reading this thread I can't help but wonder if you're looking for the wrong thing out of your brake pads. Street pads aren't designed to hold up to a track day at full speed. Anything that's considered a street performance pad is a lot better for autocross than HPDE. You can get close with street pads if you drive around it but it's still the same problem of trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-11-2015), strat61caster (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
I'm in a similar boat but DD my car everyday.

I'm very happy with my XP10's and at this point would never bother with a hybrid pad, anything that claims to be streetable is not suitable for the track on this car for me driving. Or at least that's what I believe at this point.

Planning on picking up the TRD brake pads for the street when I wear through my stock pads and continuing to swap back and forth for DD or events. It's a 45 minute job for me to swap brake pads solo with just hand tools and a floor jack.

As for the rotors I've been on the XP10's for the past 3 weeks out of laziness and they've done great, 2x track days on them couple thousand DD miles ~40 AutoX runs and my rotors are within 1mm of factory fresh. There's a guy who's been competitively autocrossing his car for 2+ years still on factory rotors at 100k miles, the engine gave out first...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16365

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...96&postcount=3

Whatever you decide, keep an eye on things, check up before and after events and nothing should take you by surprise, car is pretty communicative and will let you know if you are overdoing it. And the more I see the more I'm convinced to not waste time with hybrid pads, they will always compromise in favor of street and as you yourself have said the end goal is to enjoy your track session worry free.

Spending $200+ on track time and loosing out because you didn't spend the extra $100-$200 split up over 4+ events doesn't add up.

Edit: XP10's for me get very noisy on the street unless they get up to temperature regularly (and I'm not going to get aggressive in traffic so they will continue to be loud when DD'd for me) and there is a significant amount of dust, other than that cold bite is great and my rotors have tons of life left.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-11-2015), TofuJoe (10-18-2017)
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #21
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You need a BBK.
maybe I'll see how the ST47/ST45 will do and if it doesn't work I will probably get some Stoptechs down the road
Old 08-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #22
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I'm very happy with my XP10's and at this point would never bother with a hybrid pad, anything that claims to be streetable is not suitable for the track on this car for me driving.
I still find the XP10s a bit weak but it might be just fine with a street tire, RS3s, Direzza ZIIs etc.. like I said before, there is no wrong tire/pad combo but rather there is mismatched tire/pad combo.. maybe if I tried the XP10s with something a little less aggressive than NT01s, I'd be just happy but it also depends on your driving style or your modulation (like @CSG David mentioned above), that is something that I've been working on for years

I have to say I didn't have a single issue with running ST43s on the street with this car, . , in fact I was too lazy and drove the car with ST43s everyday they're a little bit noisy and leave dust but didn't hurt my rotors so I just drove to the track with the same set still using them on the street and they keep going , I am not sure if it would make the ST43s hybrid pad though,I think it all depends on the car...with the Vette it was a total nightmare and even shameful at times when driving in plazas or downtown area , that look on people's faces ..it was that loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-11-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #23
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
@glamcem
Definitely a style/skill thing keeping my XP10's from being exceeded (4x track days total experience), I believe some people can absolutely kill them, never meant to imply that they were foolproof.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #24
Smurfette

Since I'm super cheap (and hopefully not penny wise, pound foolish ), I ordered the StopTechs. The previous owner used them at Laguna, which is more brake intensive than Thunderhill's 5 mile, and didn't experience any fade. I'll be learning the car, track, getting back into track shape so I don't anticipate killing the pads...at least I hope not!

I'll probably go with Ferodo the next time, work my way to CarboTech, and the BBK and dedicated track pads...along with upgrading tires, etc. Excited to get back out there!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #25
glamcem

Quote:
Since I'm super cheap (and hopefully not penny wise, pound foolish ), I ordered the StopTechs. The previous owner used them at Laguna, which is more brake intensive than Thunderhill's 5 mile, and didn't experience any fade. I'll be learning the car, track, getting back into track shape so I don't anticipate killing the pads...at least I hope not!

I'll probably go with Ferodo the next time, work my way to CarboTech, and the BBK and dedicated track pads...along with upgrading tires, etc. Excited to get back out there!
don't get me wrong but it's a very bad idea IMO, don't ever go super cheap when it comes to brakes or tires since those are the two most critical things that help you save you and your car when you need them.. our cars are not that cheap you may at least consider getting XP10s to use with your PSS like @strat61caster mentioned ...with XP10s I don't think you would experience "ICE MODE"

you'd at least be able to use your brakes, fading brakes may be a lot dangerous than over heating your tires ..better safe than sorry
Old 08-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #26
Smurfette

Quote:
don't get me wrong but it's a very bad idea IMO, don't ever go super cheap when it comes to brakes or tires since those are the two most critical things that help you save you and your car when you need them.. our cars are not that cheap you may at least consider getting XP10s to use with your PSS like @strat61caster mentioned ...with XP10s I don't think you would experience "ICE MODE"

you'd at least be able to use your brakes, fading brakes may be a lot dangerous than over heating your tires ..better safe than sorry
You're giving me second thoughts! Yeah, brakes are definitely important. The StopTechs have already shipped, but I'll continuing thinking about it...literally going in circles!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #27
glamcem

Quote:
You're giving me second thoughts! Yeah, brakes are definitely important. The StopTechs have already shipped, but I'll continuing thinking about it...literally going in circles!
Stoptechs are great street pads IMO, I will most likely get another set for street
Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #28
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I think getting the Stoptechs was a mistake to be honest. It sounds like we've got roughly the same level of experience (15+ track days, intermediate/advanced HPDE) and for me, the Stoptechs faded after a few laps. I think you're probably going to have the same issue.

As long as you don't mind backing off every few laps, it's somewhat manageable, but I would highly recommend XP10 or even XP12-level pads.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote