follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #113
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
The advantage is you get to enjoy shifting yourself, it's called driver involvement.
You can shift gears yourself in the AT, with either the paddles or the floor shifter. It just doesn't involve pushing in and releasing a third pedal.

I've had regrets a couple times over the year I've owned my AT, but I don't have regrets anymore. I drive it in manual mode using the floor shifter 95% of the time. Feels like a sequential gearbox, but reversed (upshift forward downshift backward instead of upshift backward and downshift forward like an actual sequential).

I drove an RX7 with a twin plate clutch for 5 years, I wanted something different this time.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #114
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
The advantage is you get to enjoy shifting yourself, it's called driver involvement.
Exactly, no advantages at all.

I no longer have to pump the brakes either, or wrestle with the steering wheel in low speed corners, or adjust the ignition timing .....

The newest automatics are spookily good at selecting the correct gear, holding gears in corners or on throttle lift and are very convenient in heavy traffic.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #115
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
That's not exactly an accomplishment. I can drift my Outback on ice (actually, I spend all day today on a frozen lake). I can break all 4 tires (Blizzak WS70s) loose in 2nd gear at 2500rpm (where it would be making something like 155lb-ft at the crank had I been at sea level, but since I was at 8500 feet, it was probably more like 115-120lb-ft). Pretty much every modern car can break even the best studless winter tires free on ice, regardless of drivetrain layout.
I didn't suggest it was difficult. Somebody suggested this aspect as some sort of advantage over an automatic. A skilled driver can drift an automatic equipped car as easily as a manual provided the engine can produce enough power.

If you have to drop the clutch to induce enough oversteer to drift then you need a different car with adequate power.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #116
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonic View Post
You guys are just lazy and don't know how to heel toe :-P . You also cant perform shiftlock drifts when its wet or snowy out.

Nah nah ..I see the appeal of an auto. But buy a truck or an elantra. Not gonna hate just *sigh* why take the best drivers car and REMOVE yourself from the experience by making it more automated.
Even manual drivers don't necessarily need to learn heel toe, the Nissan 370Z has a rev matching feature on their stick. Not 100% sure, but, I think that the C7 Corvette does too. Good for the manual noobs. For the more experienced, apparently you can turn it on and off at your discretion.

I am slowly progressing up in driver involvement by driving in manual mode most of the time, but, I haven't gotten to the point of wanting another thing to coordinate (ie. the clutch). Maybe someday, but, at least I can have my wife drive when I've had a few too many wobbly pops.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #117
Iddoit2er

Drives: S
In case you havent seen, theres a simple mode you can do to the wiring to make forward shift up and back downshift. It feels so much more intuitive and natural. I love it - easily one of the best mods ive done and its simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
You can shift gears yourself in the AT, with either the paddles or the floor shifter. It just doesn't involve pushing in and releasing a third pedal.

I've had regrets a couple times over the year I've owned my AT, but I don't have regrets anymore. I drive it in manual mode using the floor shifter 95% of the time. Feels like a sequential gearbox, but reversed (upshift forward downshift backward instead of upshift backward and downshift forward like an actual sequential).

I drove an RX7 with a twin plate clutch for 5 years, I wanted something different this time.
Iddoit2er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #118
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post

I no longer have to pump the brakes either, or wrestle with the steering wheel in low speed corners, or adjust the ignition timing .....

The newest automatics are spookily good at selecting the correct gear, holding gears in corners or on throttle lift and are very convenient in heavy traffic.
Blah blah blah.. You still don't get it, with all your vast knowledge..
I said I ENJOY driving a manual transmission. I didn't say it was superior.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #119
brzadrian
I'm Batman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ aka Sally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
automatic=gay
but u do live in nyc and i can see why u went with automatic, they are just busting ur balls, that's what friends are for <3
brzadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #120
Demandred7

I am just happy that there is a choice of transmission. Cars like the Acura RSX Type S and Honda S2000 never offered the option of an auto. Yes, I could have forced myself to learn stick (and probably should have at the time I was considering these cars). People seem to treat the transmission debate like they do abortion (and, no, an automatic is not an abortion). You would think transmission choice is religion. I guess I am just pro choice.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #121
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzadrian View Post
automatic=gay
but u do live in nyc and i can see why u went with automatic, they are just busting ur balls, that's what friends are for <3
Manual could be perceived as gay too......you are grabbing a stick and playing with it........jk

I can see why people choose manual.

We all drive an 86.

Why can't we just get along.

Instead we are one big happy dysfunctional family.

Last edited by Demandred7; 01-05-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Formatting
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
Turkish (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #122
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post

There's obviously no point in me owning my brz then, as the ONLY reason I bought it was for driver enjoyment.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #123
LBC Por Siempre

Drives: 2008 Toyota Prius, 2012 911 Turbo
I'm just waiting for them to make a DUAL CLUTCH transmission, then I will go automatic.

Or if someone could adapt a Dual Clutch Transmission from another car and pop it into this one, like you can do with the Toyota Supra tranny and that special mounting plate.

Pay no mine to the A Hole for saying that. I know for sure it sucks having a Manual in Los Angeles on the 405 at 4:45 PM on a Friday as you're driving by "THE GETTY" when you can take Sepulvada and get into the Valley quicker!
LBC Por Siempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #124
Perihelion
Unemployed DIY Ninja

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 1983 MB SD300
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@kchiang4200 @finch1750 what shift knob do you guys have? I'm in manual mode all the time and I want to change my knob.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #125
Scaldy

Drives: 2013 red FR-S mt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The stock M/T clutch position was very frustrating for me. I burnt the clutch just driving it home from the dealer. "What's that burning smell?"

Luckily the DIY forum members had a clutch adjustment fix. After that I'm very happy with the M/T. But sometimes I wonder if we are too stuck in the past over these discussions. Change is scary for some people...

All the positive reviews of the Automatic certainly make me curious, but I felt to get the most out of a four cylinder engine I needed the M/T.
Scaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #126
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Biggest disappointment of AT is the slightly more conservative gearing. Everything else has been great. Pros and cons to both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic frs new, thirty minutes or less