follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #29
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You sort of had it and then made a sudden right turn!
We aren't "ripped off" in other countries because we pay more. The exchange rate is not a fair way to compare prices. If the Au dollar goes above the US one at some point does that mean that all of a sudden everything is cheaper in Australia because you apply the rate? Price are just different because the value of things and the LOCAl economy, not because you applied a US rate to it.
The “Assume we’re probably getting ripped off slightly.” comment was partly sarcastic hence the wink. . I was just pointing out we pay roughly $29K US for the car, which I think is reasonable.

Most people think they’re getting ripped off or try get the best deal etc. that’s kind of what I meant. My last comment was the true one: “Anyway glad the twins are under the threshold and that we can enjoy a fun sports car at a reasonable price.“

Agree with you about the exchange rate to a certain degree, it does come into play sometimes. For example when the AUD was above the US dollar a a few years ago a lot of carmakers dropped their prices slightly, not by the level of the rate but slightly. It can have some influence. Prices for cars have never been cheaper, I know WRXs were around $40K AU in 1999/2000 and 20 years later they’re in the $40K AU range.

We do get ripped off with the luxury car tax (LCT). The LCT was introduced to stop people buying imported cars and to protect the local car industry. Toyota, Ford and Holden (GM) have left. There is no local car industry. So yeah that is a blatant rip off and pet peeve of mine but nothing to do with the exchange rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is obviously one of my pet peeves because it is so often misunderstood and really shows much of the American attitude that the world revolves around them. I have news... IT DOESN'T.
Hate to break it to you it kind of does. Strongest economy and military etc. Americans generally are pretty cool, I’ve been there 4 times and the locals have always been welcoming and friendly. There is always going to be some country that is the strongest and most influential etc. there are worse countries around that you wouldn’t want in their position.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-24-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
JesseG (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #30
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
BRZ 2015 vs 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
The “Assume we’re probably getting ripped off slightly.” comment was partly sarcastic hence the wink. . I was just pointing out we pay roughly $29K US for the car, which I think is reasonable.

Most people think they’re getting ripped off or try get the best deal etc. that’s kind of what I meant. My last comment was the true one: “Anyway glad the twins are under the threshold and that we can enjoy a fun sports car at a reasonable price.“

Agree with you about the exchange rate to a certain degree, it does come into play sometimes. For example when the AUD was above the US dollar a a few years ago a lot of carmakers dropped their prices slightly, not by the level of the rate but slightly. It can have some influence. Prices for cars have never been cheaper, I know WRXs were around $40K AU in 1999/2000 and 20 years later they’re in the $40K AU range.

We do get ripped off with the luxury car tax (LCT). The LCT was introduced to stop people buying imported cars and to protect the local car industry. Toyota, Ford and Holden (GM) have left. There is no local car industry. So yeah that is a blatant rip off and pet peeve of mine but nothing to do with the exchange rate.

Hate to break it to you it kind of does. Strongest economy and military etc. Americans generally are pretty cool, I’ve been there 4 times and the locals have always been welcoming and friendly. There is always going to be some country that is the strongest and most influential etc. there are worse countries around that you wouldn’t want in their position.

I’m glad you have felt welcomed when you visit the good ol US of A. No country is perfect, but there are a lot of great things about the US. Most of what the world sees through news outlets is not very accurate, or it’s heavily biased in one direction. That direction is very easy to see. And if we were ever to team up with anyone I would want it to be with Australia, because you guys are bada**! Oh and reluctantly I will say Canadia also. Mostly because they are America’s hat and keep us warm.

*And to keep this car related, I’m jealous of Australia’s import rules. You guys don’t need to wait 25 years to import a car right? I should know because I watch Mighty Car Mods religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 AM   #31
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I’m glad you have felt welcomed when you visit the good ol US of A. No country is perfect, but there are a lot of great things about the US. Most of what the world sees through news outlets is not very accurate, or it’s heavily biased in one direction. That direction is very easy to see. And if we were ever to team up with anyone I would want it to be with Australia, because you guys are bada**! Oh and reluctantly I will say Canadia also. Mostly because they are America’s hat and keep us warm.

*And to keep this car related, I’m jealous of Australia’s import rules. You guys don’t need to wait 25 years to import a car right? I should know because I watch Mighty Car Mods religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve been lucky to travel through the Hawaiian islands, Alaska, Vegas, New York and New Orleans over different trips and yeah my experiences have been fun and the locals have been helpful with directions or tips on where to go etc. plus I’ve met a lot of Americans on Contiki tours through Europe when I was younger. Been to Canada too and yeah all positive (I’ve only been there in summer though).

Back on the car topic. Yeah there doesn’t appear to be much restrictions on RHD vehicles as long as they weren’t sold in our local market at the time, otherwise the 25 year rule applies, so a 2002 RX7 which wasn’t sold here locally at the time can be imported for example. I look on our local Carsales website from time to time and it has heaps of Japanese imports for sale. I’m always browsing at FD RX7s and the like and there are plenty listed. LHD vehicles are a different story, they have to be converted to RHD if they are under 30 years old, over 30 years old they can stay LHD.

FD RX7s for example listed, they’re not cheap:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...9&sort=TopDeal

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-29-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote