follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Daily Driving/Spirited Driving Brakes

What do you suggest for spirited driving, daily with a few a few AutoX days? I was looking at.

Stoptech Front/Rear Slotted Rotors
Stoptech Front/Rear Brake Pad Set
Stainless Line Kit Front/Rear

What would you keep or change?
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'm also not terribly happy with the OE brake setup, even for daily driving.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would go for Stop tech line and ditched the stop tech street performance pads because they tend to fade faster, and stock rotor are perfectly capable.

personally I would go for Ferodo DS2500 as a hybrid street/autox/track pads

You save more money with just pads/fluid and line and probably out perform stop tech slotted rotor and their street performance pads
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I'm curious what don't you like about the brakes? particularly why they aren't good enough for daily driving. I track my car and while I've upgraded the pads, I can't imagine what could be lacking on the street.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
Pat (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
The stock brakes are just fine. No street pads can stand up to more than a couple of hot laps before overheating. Just swap pads for any track session. Probably you can get away with just swapping front pads for something a bit harder. Rear brakes don't overheat.

2017 BRZ have a nice Brembo option which could improve the look of the brakes. I don't think it fits under the old style stock wheels. The new car with these brakes has redesigned 17 in wheels half an inch wider. The new brakes are a tight fit with the new style wheels.

The problem will still be with the street pads.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
What about them are you not happy with? Feel?? stopping power??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
I would go for Stop tech line and ditched the stop tech street performance pads because they tend to fade faster, and stock rotor are perfectly capable.

personally I would go for Ferodo DS2500 as a hybrid street/autox/track pads

You save more money with just pads/fluid and line and probably out perform stop tech slotted rotor and their street performance pads
Ferodo DS2500's, or Project mU HC800+'s are great street/autox pads, and will do great for beginners at track days as well.

I wouldn't bother with the lines, they have no performance benefit and need to be watched closer than the stock rubber lines. They do slightly improve pedal feel, but if you're not comfortable checking on them yearly, just leave the lines alone.

100% agreed on keeping the stock rotors, they work just fine. Slotted rotors aren't going to help with fade or braking power, and most modern pads don't offgas at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I'm curious what don't you like about the brakes? particularly why they aren't good enough for daily driving. I track my car and while I've upgraded the pads, I can't imagine what could be lacking on the street.
100% agreed. Good track pads and fluid are all you really need on the brakes. A BBK can help make consumables cheaper, but at stockish power levels these cars don't need more braking power at all. If you can engage ABS at speed, then tires are the weak link in stopping faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@wparsons said it all. I'd only like to add:

For brake pads, how much noise can you tolerate in daily driving? I don't think autoX is too hard on brakes anyway, so a mild upgrade might fit your needs.

I started out with Project Mu HC+ (which I think is more than enough for autoX), which got a little noisy while daily driving, so I thought "screw it, if it's going to be noisy, I might as well go all out and get Carbotech XP10s". Well, they are a delight on track but can have ear piercingly loud squeals after a week of daily driving.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the information!

I just recently had my break start squeaking and when I looked at them, they are shot. 32k miles on the stock set. Not to shabby.
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
What about them are you not happy with? Feel?? stopping power??
I think both feel (which can be solved with MCB I hear) and stopping power. I like the brakes in other cars more. My gf's Cooper has massive rotors and that thing stops on a dime. I've also driven several other friends' and family cars and liked the brakes a lot. Don't know why that is, to be honest. I guess I just like to stop quicker lol.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
+1 skip the rotors and lines

Stoptech pads should be a good DD OE replacement pad, if you didn't have problems with the OE pads while autocrossing there is no need to go more aggressive, expensive, and less DD-able. Ferodo and Project Mu hybrid pads (DS2500 and HC800+) have a reputation for being higher dust and more noise than more street oriented pads.

Get some fresh fluid in there too, ATE Typ 200 is $20/L and a bit nicer than stock. That might be the biggest factor to improving brake feel, fresh fluid. At the end of the day, the 86 brakes may just be too boosted and progressive for you, grippier pads may help you find the feel you're looking for, Stoptech may not be the answer then.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
JoeC

I've never done autocross but can I can't imagine the factory brake system could actually get pushed beyond its functional limit in less than 60 seconds in a parking lot.

I guess I would want to know what problem I was trying to solve before throwing a bunch of money at the car.
wparsons (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've never done autocross but can I can't imagine the factory brake system could actually get pushed beyond its functional limit in less than 60 seconds in a parking lot.
I've felt fade on street pads autocrossing (doubly so if it's a FWD car with an "e-diff"), most autox's are on airstrips these days, and competitive rubber is very sticky, it's much faster and harder on equipment than you give it credit for.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=109
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+1 skip the rotors and lines

Stoptech pads should be a good DD OE replacement pad, if you didn't have problems with the OE pads while autocrossing there is no need to go more aggressive, expensive, and less DD-able. Ferodo and Project Mu hybrid pads (DS2500 and HC800+) have a reputation for being higher dust and more noise than more street oriented pads.

Get some fresh fluid in there too, ATE Typ 200 is $20/L and a bit nicer than stock. That might be the biggest factor to improving brake feel, fresh fluid. At the end of the day, the 86 brakes may just be too boosted and progressive for you, grippier pads may help you find the feel you're looking for, Stoptech may not be the answer then.
You hit the nail on the head there - many people complaining about their stock brakes need to swap out their brake fluid. My brakes are getting a little mushy as well and this is one of my projects slated over the next week or two.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
JoeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
it's much faster and harder on equipment than you give it credit for.[/url]
That's totally fair. I probably should try it out.
strat61caster (05-11-2017)