follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #29
Byrd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I believe I'm the most qualified individual here to answer this.

- Dump the crank pulley. It's not needed.

- Do either the coilovers or the supercharger, but not both at the same time. One change at a time to learn the change

- Get the Flex Fuel kit from the get go, so you don't need to tune twice.

- Don't bother with a "staged" brake package. They're glorified street setups that do little to nothing to help you on track. Instead, get yourself a set of real track pads and good fluid. Unless you care only about your mod list, those packages are a waste of money.

- Catch cans are a must for a track/canyon car with FI.

- Sway bars are fine tuning tools. Hold off on these until you've got suspension on your car, and have identified what exactly you want to change about the behavior of the car.

- Oil cooler is 100% mandatory for any car driven hard.

We can package everything together for you if you're interested. I don't believe anyone on this board has our amount of experience combining a track/suspension/fi setup for mixed street/track/spirited duty.

Yea I was hoping you'd answer my thread lol. I honestly decided to forget about this and just call and ask you these questions when Im ready to purchase. However, since I posted i've scratched off the sway bar and brake package (taking the advice of pads & fluid)

I'm also 90% going with the JRSC. If I do i'll definitely get the Jackson engine oil cooler & a catch can + check valve; heres the list I'm not 100% on yet. (Reminder that its a automatic transmission)

-Trans cooler (b&m 70268)

-Mishimoto thermostat

-Different trans fluid

-Larger injector for flex fuel.

Realistically, I may never hit the track and this could be all spirited driving in the mountains & casual autocross for the next 2-3 years. I've researched alot about tracking and Im not sure if im bout dat life yet it is my end goal though
Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #30
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
Yea I was hoping you'd answer my thread lol. I honestly decided to forget about this and just call and ask you these questions when Im ready to purchase. However, since I posted i've scratched off the sway bar and brake package (taking the advice of pads & fluid)

I'm also 90% going with the JRSC. If I do i'll definitely get the Jackson engine oil cooler & a catch can + check valve; heres the list I'm not 100% on yet. (Reminder that its a automatic transmission)

-Mishimoto thermostat

-Different trans fluid

Realistically, I may never hit the track and this could be all spirited driving in the mountains & casual autocross for the next 2-3 years. I've researched alot about tracking and Im not sure if im bout dat life yet it is my end goal though
I wouldn't bother with the thermostat. Especially if you enjoy your heater in the winter. I made that mistake with a 160 degree one in my 97' Formula Firebird going to college, lol. Had no heater when it was 15 degrees outside. Not fun. 180 degree one may not be too bad, but the biggest issue I've seen with this engine is keeping the oil cool.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
Byrd (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #31
Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I wouldn't bother with the thermostat. Especially if you enjoy your heater in the winter. I made that mistake with a 160 degree one in my 97' Formula Firebird going to college, lol. Had no heater when it was 15 degrees outside. Not fun. 180 degree one may not be too bad, but the biggest issue I've seen with this engine is keeping the oil cool.

Wow I didn't know itd do that.. I definitely like my heater and ass warmer lol
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

-Mishimoto thermostat

-Different trans fluid

Mike had some good advice there. Regarding autocross, a supercharger probably won't buy you much, especially a centifugal unit. If I were you and I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd put it in decent quality coilovers/setup/alignment first (KW V3, Ohlins, RS-R, etc. around $2000+/-). Second I'd get a tune and run E85 (if available). Once dialed in, have some fun with it, then get the supercharger a year from now - there are some really nice positive displacement supercharger systems that have come out/will come out over the next year that you might like better for a street system.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm an old conservative dude too
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #33
Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Mike had some good advice there. Regarding autocross, a supercharger probably won't buy you much, especially a centifugal unit. If I were you and I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd put it in decent quality coilovers/setup/alignment first (KW V3, Ohlins, RS-R, etc. around $2000+/-). Second I'd get a tune and run E85 (if available). Once dialed in, have some fun with it, then get the supercharger a year from now - there are some really nice positive displacement supercharger systems that have come out/will come out over the next year that you might like better for a street system.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm an old conservative dude too

That is exactly my plan. My concerns are only about cooling the supercharger and wasted money for getting it dyno tuned twice instead of once (twice if I go with the e85 before SC)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #34
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
ummm he HAS a 6 speed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
GET A 6 SPD! oh...wait never mind I guess I'm in the wrong thread.
He already has a 6 speed...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #35
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
yeah I was gonna say...

Quote:
Stock class, but not 100% stock
coming in 3 seconds under Randy Pobst's time with just a driver mod would be a hell of a driver...

Hell, it's a hell of a driver even in a lightly modified twin...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #36
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

-Mishimoto thermostat

-Different trans fluid

I'm not familiar with that trans cooler, but the Stark Performance one seems to do well.

You don't need a thermostat

I'm not familiar with aftermarket AT fluid results.

Injectors are definitely a good idea. You may want to consider a fuel pump as well.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Byrd (05-28-2015), Stark Performance (05-30-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #37
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
coming in 3 seconds under Randy Pobst's time with just a driver mod would be a hell of a driver...

Hell, it's a hell of a driver even in a lightly modified twin...

Jaden
You should come out to 86CUP... there's quite a bit of talent present.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #38
Byrd

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that trans cooler, but the Stark Performance one seems to do well.

You don't need a thermostat

I'm not familiar with aftermarket AT fluid results.

Injectors are definitely a good idea. You may want to consider a fuel pump as well.
Thanks man. Might as well get the fuel pump since they aren't pricey. Have you sold the jrsc to a auto? Do you know what other mods they had to put in for reliability / longevity?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #39
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks man. Might as well get the fuel pump since they aren't pricey. Have you sold the jrsc to a auto? Do you know what other mods they had to put in for reliability / longevity?
We've done plenty for the AT.

You don't really need anything else; all of the supporting mods you're getting are for your own additional power desires and spirited/competitive driving.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #40
azynneo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was actually planning on doing the same thing to my car, but would the SC intercooler fit with an oil cooler, and a AT cooler? Is the A/T tranny cooler really a necessity? I called Mike from infamous performance and he stated that it could actually be worse for the transmission if anything.

Last edited by azynneo; 05-29-2015 at 08:15 PM.
azynneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #41
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Running something too cold can be bad just like running something to hot. You shouldn't beat on your car until it reaches a safe temperature, especially if its very very cold outside, just like you shouldn't drive a car that is overheating/ed.

Remember that things expand and contract with temperature, think of doors in a house and how the difficulty of closing them varies with the weather.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #42
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
In regards to transmission cooling, here are a few posts from our blog that you might consider reading. It's a bit wordy, but if you are seriously considering tracking an automatic car (modified or otherwise), it is worth a read in my opinion since it is all original research and development that we did.

http://starkperformanceparts.com/pro...lopment-part-1

http://starkperformanceparts.com/pro...lopment-part-2

http://starkperformanceparts.com/pro...lopment-part-3
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-06-2015), JonAvalon (05-30-2015)