follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ vs Evo X

Anyone considering the BRZ over the Evo X?

(thinking out loud a bit here)
I have an Evo X that I am considering trading/selling to get the BRZ. The BRZ will be the street car and I want to autocross competitively in SCCA ST* class. I much prefer RWD over AWD. I also like the BRZ's smaller size (exterior) over the Evo X. I don't care too much about power. My only concern is the room for rear passengers. Anyone else?
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
it wont be faster and it will probably be just about as much fun. what about rwd do you much prefer over awd? i feel like people are blowing that out of proportion for no real reason
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
it wont be faster and it will probably be just about as much fun. what about rwd do you much prefer over awd? i feel like people are blowing that out of proportion for no real reason
Hmm.. I guess we all have to drive the BRZ to comment about how fun it is to drive. It certainly has all that I look for in a fun to drive car - small & RWD.

As far as AWD, I like to be able to rotate the car. The Evo is great, a lot better than the STi (as far as keeping understeer under control).. but I much prefer to have a loose oversteer'ing car. Just preference really.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm considering this over a new STi or used EVO. I've always enjoyed driving RWD cars over AWD. Even in snow I had more fun getting stuck in my BMW than I did cruising around in my STi. I think this car could be more fun and WILL be a lot cheaper to own, but is obviously comparatively lacking in utility.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Don't most AWD have the engine hanging out fairly far in front due to the location of the transmission and front diff? Just seems like an inherent design that AWD vehicles (even the Audi S and RS cars) deal with understeer.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
I'm considering this over a new STi or used EVO. I've always enjoyed driving RWD cars over AWD. Even in snow I had more fun getting stuck in my BMW than I did cruising around in my STi. I think this car could be more fun and WILL be a lot cheaper to own, but is obviously comparatively lacking in utility.
New STi, as in the GR? Or the new one that is yet to come out? I'd skip the GR, unless you like blown engines (ringland failure).
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
Did you mean that or did it just come out wrong? Had more fun getting stuck in snow in your BMW than actually driving without issues in your STI?

Btw, Ichi hates STi. It is STI.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
New STi, as in the GR? Or the new one that is yet to come out? I'd skip the GR, unless you like blown engines (ringland failure).
Yeah its a tough choice, my rod bearings went out twice on my 07 with only 40k miles. My ringlands were fine surprisingly.

I've been considering buying a GR since I don't really beat my cars. I think my old car was a pretty big lemon.... I really dislike the interior on the EVO's besides the seats.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Did you mean that or did it just come out wrong? Had more fun getting stuck in snow in your BMW than actually driving without issues in your STI?

Btw, Ichi hates STi. It is STI.
When it came to having fun in the snow, driving around sideways in my old bmw was a blast. You did have to deal with "situations" more often though.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As a previous Evo owner (VIII) I'd say there's a lot different between the platforms. The one thing I wont miss is the repair bills/clutches. However, there wont be near as much breakneck performance out of this in a stock package, it really is apples to oranges here. The Evo is brutal raw power in an AWD package, its also much more expensive than comparable BRZ (10k+) so keep that in mind as well. More fair to compare an Evo against a Boss 302 Mustang
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
blu_

While objectively it is apples to oranges, people will cross shop things that make no sense to others, but each person has their own preferences and things they find unacceptable.

I absolutely hate Mustangs, because of the driving visibility and weight, but you are right that on paper they make sense to compare against the EVO.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Don't most AWD have the engine hanging out fairly far in front due to the location of the transmission and front diff? Just seems like an inherent design that AWD vehicles (even the Audi S and RS cars) deal with understeer.
i havent driven the evo x hard enough to notice understeer as my friend is a little over protective of it but from what i hear the computer lets the rear end hang out just enough to have fun. understeer is a characteristic that is designed into all cars of today. the weight up front sucks but i dont think its the primary cause for understeer in a car
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
blu_

At least on Audi's and Subaru's its a major part of the why the car wants to push.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was considering an Evo X before I got interested in the FR-S/BRZ... Since then I've become more interested in the GC and Mustang though. The Evo X is a great ride though, I've still been kicking one around in my head. I keep waiting for them to release some official info about the Evo XI though.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote