follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
DocWalt's 2022 WRB BRZ

I picked up my BRZ back in December 2021 and was a bit too lazy to make a build thread then, so catching up a bit

If you'd like to read some of my initial thoughts on the car: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148059

Day I picked the car up, drove my RX-8 to the dealer and it got lots of attention, haha.

The car is just... wow. VERY good. The power difference vs the first gen is stark, haha. I drove it back to back vs my buddy's FR-S that has a header & tune and coilovers and such. It's really interesting that the new car feels nearly as stiff but just more comfy. Interior changes are huge and generally fantastic while some are a little, uh, odd. It just feels like a really premium experience. Still a cheap car with some of the materials choices but I'm thrilled. Lower seat has more bolstering than before while the upper seat just seems slightly more aggressive in how it pushes on my shoulders/upper back. Not uncomfortable, just different. Rear seats seem even less useful than before for adults, somehow. Trunk opening is narrower or something. I want STI/Group N motor mounts again, the stock mounts are soft and fairly pathetic yet again.

Fuel economy seems pretty darn good so far, though the cluster seems very pessimistic, haha.

Compared to the RX-8 it's night and day. The RX-8 is super fun, but definitely a much older car. It feels like a different decade even vs the first gen twin, which makes sense for when they were developed. The RX-8 is faster than my buddy's first gen twin, but slower than the new twin by a lot. RX-8 just feels a lot more aggressive, but in good ways.

I installed the OEM crash bolts. I got around -1.3 degrees of camber on both sides with my camber gauge. Toe was nearly unchanged, as it was on the first gen.

Got up to two things today! Received my new wheels, 17x9 ET45 Enkei TS-V in Storm Gray. I'm really excited to see them on the car properly especially with my incoming coilovers from Shaftworks USA!

I installed Eibach's 10mm extended stud/spacer kit using the balljoint spreader tool method on my 2022 BRZ today. Pretty simple as it is on the first gen or most other cars. Warning though, the 2022+ BRZ with aluminum knuckles uses different torque specs than first gens (now 88.5 ft-lbs for the two caliper bracket/knuckle bolts and 70.1 ft-lbs for the four hub/knuckle bolts) but more annoyingly, the knuckle is in the way and there's no way to install extended studs without pulling the hub. Not a huge deal and overall pretty simple!

Whiteline diff bushing inserts, I skipped the diff outrigger bushing inserts as they made horrible diff whine on my first gen. Easy install, though if you're lazy like my you need to yank on the swaybar to make enough room for the lower bolt on the one side of the diff. Easy enough!

Wheelhop is minimized now, I'll test the subframe bushing inserts at some point in the next few months to see if it's eliminated.

Installed Whiteline's subframe bushing insert kit. Seems to fit fine even with the new swaybar mounting on the BRZ. It will definitely fit fine on the GR86.

There's definitely a bit of NVH, but the rear end of the car feels more connected. Trade offs!

Last edited by DocWalt; 04-20-2023 at 10:28 AM.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Kelse92 (04-21-2023), RedReplicant (04-26-2023), whataboutbob (05-04-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
DocWalt

Got some PPF done and a quick clean/seal by Performance Detailz near Lancaster, PA. Rockers all the way into the car, fender vent piece, mirrors, and trunk strip. Really needed the side skirts done as they're so wide they're going to take cone blasts at autocross and they're also a little difficult to step over.

Unfortunately the front bumper was already a bit chipped up so no point in doing that.

I've been working on mapping CAN data and finding a nice access point since CAN isn't readily accessible on the OBD2 port anymore. There's an active sound (ASC) computer easily accessible in the passenger side of the dash, so that was a perfect spot to "hack into" and get CAN access.

Parts list for the ASC connector/patch harness:

Male connector (plugs into factory harness):
- AMP/TE Connectivity Connector Housing P/N: 1376106-1 (Quantity 1)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Pins P/N: 1376109-1 (Quantity 8) - I'd suggest ordering a couple of spares though in case you mess up crimping

Female connector (same as factory harness if you're making a patch)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Connector Housing P/N: 1318386-1 (Quantity 1)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Pins P/N: 1123343-1 (Quantity 8) - I'd suggest ordering a couple of spares though in case you mess up crimping

I used this wire: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used this RJ45 breakout (for RaceCapture Track Mk2, you'll use something else for other devices): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use something like this to crimp the connectors. It's fiddly and annoying but way cheaper than the "right" tool: https://www.amazon.com/Qibaok-Termin.../dp/B089LW7MWT

If you're wiring to a breakout like I was, this will work to make the ferrules on the wires. Way nicer to insert than stranded wire twisted together or whatever: https://www.amazon.com/TICONN-Insula...dp/B09F94TPRV/

My patch harness (made a second for a friend that I owe a favor to):

My RaceCapture "install" after I routed the RJ45 cable along the passenger side rocker under the carpet, down in front of the seat, and out the flap that exposes the chassis VIN.

Data into SoloStorm!

Matching temps on the dash for comparison:

Shaftworks USA Bilanx 1 coilovers installed! Rides like stock, I'm really impressed considering the spring rates and valving we went with. Gotta do a front swaybar and finally mount up my tires on my TS-Vs before I can comment much on their performance otherwise. Winter is finally over and I'm excited to go autocrossing and TT

A few wet pics with my wheels on

JDL UEL & Perrin 2.5" catback installed! Sounds like a proper Subaru again, haha

I did the header first so I could see how it sounded with stock exhaust:

Cold start with the header and catback and some free revs:

Cruising around:

Full throttle 2nd gear acceleration:

The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (04-26-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
DocWalt

Installed my final piece of the puzzle for autocross/track season last night! Karcepts makes badass parts for a limited selection of cars, but when their swaybars or other parts are available for your car you have to buy them. Over-engineered in the best ways possible! The swaybars have a nice arc built in for the adjustment holes so you can quickly and easily adjust the swaybar stiffness between runs at autocross or you could even do it in a pitstop during an enduro race or something. Easy install for a motorsports product with a great installation manual and they even included some specialty tools that are required.

First autocross weekend in the history books! The car is phenomenal! I tested back to back with an ND2 Miata in STR and I don't think we can hang in STR yet (but it will be close with tunes to fix the low rev limiter) but the car is so dang fun I don't even really care. Love the easy adjust Karcepts swaybar and the Shaftworks USA shocks. I made one swaybar change early Saturday at the Test and Tune (math said I should have been where I ended up, but I was lazy and set the swaybar softer) and I didn't do anything for shocks, adjustment wise. I'm really really happy with the car.

My Saturday TnT run:

Amy's TnT run:

Sunday's event was defined by crummy off and on rain. I made no changes for the wet and I was clearly the fastest in the wet, but it dried out and I coned away my fast run, then it rained again for Amy and she was faster in the rain than in the dry but coned it away too. Ignore the squeaking in the video, we left our trunk junk in because of the rain and the mic was picking up the squeaky styrofoam. I'll share our faster runs first.

My fastest raw time:

Amy's fastest raw time:

My fastest clean run:

Amy's fastest clean run:

Installed the Toyota OEM mudflaps. Not quite as much protection from the front flaps as I'd like, but that's OK.

NNJR autocross #1 in the books! I finished up 2nd in PAX, 1st in STR. Amy was 4th in STR, a very solid result. We struggled badly with understeer, made one car change and then just sort of didn't make another change with runs happening so quickly. We should have kept making changes, but that's on me for not accepting that the car wasn't performing at its best, whoops!

Amy's fastest run:

My fastest run:

Philly SCCA had their second event yesterday, I finished 2nd in PAX behind another BRZ in STR (Simmons) by 17 thousandths... SO close! We had made huge setup changes after the understeer monster at NNJR, this was WAYYYY better. So fun now!

My fastest run:

Amy's fastest clean run:

Amy's fastest run:

Me vs Simmons:

Back to MetLife stadium for NNJR #2! I finished 3rd in PAX and Amy finished 3rd in STR. Car was working both better and worse all at once, haha. More changes for next event!

Amy's fastest:

My fastest:

My last run was going faster... until it wasn't:

Old 04-20-2023, 10:22 AM   #4
DocWalt

Needed more rear camber! Rear lower control arms from the first gen aren't legal on the new car due to a change in motion ratio, makes this mildly annoying but oh well. The only other options are a $650 set of upper control arms or a $130 set of offset upper arm bushings that are a huge PITA to install and adjust as well as being easy to have them slip...

I'm giving a $25 option a try I got ~0.3 degrees more rear camber (one side gained like 0.5 degrees, so I just evened it out) using two MOOG K90473 camber bolts. They torque to about the same torque spec as the OEM bolts so I'm hoping they don't slip. I'll find out soon!

Alignment before:

Alignment after:

Did NNJR event 3 today, got the car working well finally (hey guess what, setting the shocks to where Shaftworks told me to set them works well) and Evan Schickel, 2018 DSP national champion, codrove to get ready for the NJ ProSolo

My fastest, good for 2nd in PAX, very close to Jeff Hurst (2013 STX national champion) in an STR ND:

Evan's fastest scratch time:

and a wild side by side!

My videos from NJ Pro. I coned away ~4 tenths on the right, but my left was pretty darn good. Really really liking the car!

Left side:

Right side:

Evan's fast runs, he never felt as comfortable as last weekend and also coned away some time:

Left side:

Right side:

Amy's fast runs, left side data is broken somehow but whatever. She killed it this weekend pulling off 3rd in L3 and 3rd in the Ladies Challenge. Meshing with the car well and learning how to be aggressive with all of the mountains of torque versus our RX-8 last year! Amy found ~5 tenths each side during the challenges too, really proud of her!

Left side:

Right side:

I swapped from the Perrin 2.5" catback to the CSG Touring 86 catback... It's effectively OEM+ inside the car and not very loud outside the car either.

I have a JDL UEL and ISR Overpipe, stock frontpipe. The drone with the Perrin catback between 2-3k RPM was getting old quickly, not sure why it's so bad on a 2nd gen with UEL. Local friend has it with an EL header and it's drone free, so YMMV.

The CSG Touring 86 is damn near silent inside the car, may as well be OEM+ with zero drone and not much noise. It's getting a little louder after ~100 miles but I doubt it will ever get loud. Outside the car, on video anyway, it's not as deep of a sound as the Perrin but it's also less raspy and more "wooshy"

The CSG installs a little easier than the Perrin because you can set the tip depth easily, but the exhaust clamps were installed "backwards" meaning the bolt was on the wrong side of the exhaust for maximum clearance on installation. Kinda dumb but whatever, easy to fix. I also wish the CSG was 304 stainless, big bummer that it's not.

Prior setup with the Perrin catback:

New setup with the CSG catback (will update when I get some miles on it like the Perrin):

Old 04-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
DocWalt

First event in a month!

Philly SCCA/WDCR SCCA autocross at Ripken stadium in Aberdeen. I took home 2nd in STR with Amy in 5th. Neither of us were super happy with our driving with both of us hitting a lot of cones, Amy never got a clean run

My fastest with a questionable cone call (nobody knows where I hit the cone and the car ahead of me on course was hitting lots of cones):

Amy's fastest:

Philly SCCA had another event this weekend, it was ridiculously hot and humid and we probably used four gallons of water spraying our tires to keep them cool! Really fun course and it was a lot of fun to work with Amy and see her improving as a driver! I pulled off first in PAX with a really close battle with an STR class ND Miata. 15 thousandths! Amy ended up finishing a really close 5th in STR, she's clearly getting comfortable with the added pace this year and she's crushing it.

Here's my fastest run:

Here's Amy's fastest run:

Here's a side by side between the STR ND and myself:

Philly event last weekend! Here's my fastest run, good for 2nd in PAX right behind Kevin Donovan for his first PAX win! He was always super fast when I codrove his CRX so I was super happy for him taking the win:

Amy's fastest, an early run and she found a ton of time later in the day but it just never worked out with a full run. Still really good!

Toledo ProSolo! Super fun, even with the wrong car for STR. 500 pounds more weight than the ND Miata on the same tire is going to be hard to make up for. We whiffed on setup big time on day one, big thanks to Jon Lugod at Shaftworks USA for an all new setup to try on Sunday. The car was magical.

Weather all weekend was whacky. The entire morning session on Saturday was thrown out with thunderstorms, so we ran 6 runs in the afternoon instead of four. That meant no time to test anything really and Amy got stuck in drying conditions both days since of course it rained again overnight into Sunday.

Amy drove extremely well, just had bad luck getting away from the tree because of the changing conditions of the start line.

Here's Amy's fastest left, unfortunately the line dried up and she red lit :

Here's Amy's fastest right, tagged a cone somewhere:

Here's my fastest left side run, not much left on the table for me:

Here's my fastest right side run which was the first run on the fixed setup so I was feeling it out, I tagged a cone and got in the marbles badly on my second right side run and threw that away. Oh well!

Old 04-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #6
DocWalt

This past Sunday I was back into the BRZ with my prior codriver Jon! We also worked on setup a little bit and really dialed it in. I pulled off 4th in PAX with Jon in 10th. Jon struggled a bit with the 1-2 shift upsetting the car so he short shifted this run, if he had just shifted normally he'd have at least tied me because he absolutely killed it in the slaloms!

Jon's fastest run:

My fastest run:

I won the silly big trophy again! Sorry Amy!

Here are my two Al Holbert Memorial Trophy winning runs:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Thanks to everyone for making this weekend happen! Super fun and what a crazy battle with Kevin Donovan! 0.073 gap between us for the Holbert!

My fast (but dirty) run from day 1:

or my fast but dirty 3rd run from day 1:

My last run from day 2 (not Holbert legal but great for the day's results!):

Philly SCCA on August 28th:

Really fun event, except for the frustration of not finding pace after my first run. Really annoying, but I had really good pace on my first run anyway haha

Nationals in Lincoln a week later was a TON of fun... More to come on that

Final NNJR event of the year! I was in with a slim chance of winning NNJR DOY again but it didn't happen with my car's disadvantages against the ND Miata in STR. My car felt amazing, huge credit to Shaftworks USA and Karcepts for their support this year!

My fastest run:

Jon codrove too, he's his fastest run:

Philly's second to last event! It was a rainy one in the remnants of Ian. I did end up earning the Philly SCCA Driver of the Year again! The first time it's ever been won by one person three times in a row, a huge accomplishment!

Here's my fastest clean run:

and my fastest dirty run (I hit the second set of cones on the left side of the car, maybe with my wake):

A fantastic year of autocross and a huge thanks to my fiancee (soon to be wife!) Amy for her support. As always thanks go to Shaftworks USA, Karcepts, and everyone else that's been involved with the build and set up this year. Hit up Shaftworks USA or Karcepts for any performance parts and setup questions you may have!

Autocross yesterday with SJR SCCA @ Bader Field. I finished 2nd in PAX with a flying last run after murdering a LOT of cones early on:

Amy finished 4th in STR:

Tuned today with Mike from Xero Limit. JDL UEL, ISIS Overpipe (left over from my first gen and they've since rebranded for obvious reasons), CSG Catback, and K&N panel filter. Charcoal filter in place.

Lower two pulls are stock tune with all of the same mods.​

Old 04-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
DocWalt

Replaced the stupid huge tips on my exhaust with some aliexpress tips that are knock offs of Akrapovic's Ti tips

Finally got my APEX Racing VS-5RS wheels that I ordered in July...

Got some hood struts for Christmas so I installed those yesterday

All settled into our new place, I was ceramic coating the wheels and weighed them.

Installed eightyzips shift & handbrake boots. They look amazing and while the install was fiddly, it went smoothly and they installed well.

Installed a JDL Ultra Quiet frontpipe today, I found a gasket that works to adapt from 2.5" frontpipes to stock midpipe, which is nice

Walker 31398 fits perfectly with no hassle, but does have a smaller ID (which is about the same as the stock midpipe anyway)

If you want to dork around cutting some of the gasket's built in metal flange that fits into the frontpipe, a Walker 31554 "fits" as well if you cut away most of the metal ring so it only has a few tabs left to center it/support it in the front pipe. It seals fine and all, just know it's a bit of a hassle up front for essentially no benefit. The other gasket wasn't available locally to me so I did this

Old 04-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
DocWalt

NNJR Autocross from last weekend! I finished 4th in PAX and had a friend from *way* back in my 3000GT days codrive, his first time in a proper ST car after years of the wrong DS car

My fastest run:

Sang's fastest:

Old 04-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #9
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How are those rear camber bolts holding up? No slippage I'm guessing?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #10
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
How are those rear camber bolts holding up? No slippage I'm guessing?

No slippage, they've been great.
dragoontwo (04-20-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #11
DocWalt

Not the greatest pics... I've gotta clean up the car and install a little longer front studs before I can go anywhere for better pics. Only 5.5 turns of lug nut engagement with 13mm front spacer compared to the 10mm spacer I was using before with the Enkeis, not quite enough!

These are the APEX VS-5RS, 17x9 ET48

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-21-2023), doward (04-25-2023), Greg Erskine (04-21-2023), Kelse92 (04-24-2023), NoHaveMSG (04-21-2023), RedReplicant (04-26-2023), RToyo86 (05-04-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 09:17 AM   #12
DocWalt

Replaced my Eibach front studs with ARP for a bit of extra length for more spacer options, mostly so I could run 13mm front spacer for my new wheels.

Found a shredded A052, sadly. I was hoping to use the rest of this (very bald) set of tires for a Track Night, oh well.

New wheels installed with 13mm of spacer up front.

NoHaveMSG (05-04-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #13
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That "raw" aluminum finish on the wheels is really unique. Looking good! I like the contrast of the silver wheel with the WRB paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
DocWalt

I love the "brushed clear" finish, it pops so much. Even my coworkers were like "wow what did you do to your car, it looks great?"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-04-2023), RedReplicant (04-26-2023)