follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #29
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie - buying 2018 BRZ TS

Currently, I am driving 2003 Honda Pilot and it's been really well served with an exception of transmission issue which was rebuilt two years ago and it has about 180K miles. I will be using this SUV for quite sometime since the trade-in value is only $2,000.

I have been looking for BRZ for about a month and since I drove manual car 20 years ago, I shouldn't have issue driving BRZ. I was looking for limited, however my wife liked TS and one dealer offered me for $31K white, is this a good deal? Also, this car has 51 miles and I am worried about that too! I will be buying on Tuesday (7/10), I was also told to ask the dealer to fill tank with premium gas and not regular. Do I need to know more about this car, please share your experience and advise. Thank you.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #30
Brooklyn

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
My 2cents:

2014: Bought BRZ for DD. Marital Status: single. Kids: 0
2018: Still have BRZ for DD, wife's car is a 4 door suv. Martial Status: married. Kids: 1 (1 year old)

Observations:
- The BRZ CAN get baby and wife places but up to this point, I find that it's not that ideal - less space to haul baby stuff, rear facing baby bucket seat renders the seat in front of it almost unusable or at least uncomfortable. (I think it would be kind of the same case when you get to the front facing stage. Others may have experience with this). If it's just me and the baby, it's doable. Basically, if we're going anywhere with baby, 9 out of 10 times, we take the wife's car to make things easier.
- All in all, in terms of practicality, the BRZ is not at the top of the list of cars one might consider. But having said that, I can't see myself trading it in for something else. We just make it work. I'm considering buying a 4 door car in the near future but still planning to keep the BRZ, and if you're able to, I would suggest doing the same
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #31
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Buy BRZ... Ask questions later.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #32
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
Currently, I am driving 2003 Honda Pilot and it's been really well served with an exception of transmission issue which was rebuilt two years ago and it has about 180K miles. I will be using this SUV for quite sometime since the trade-in value is only $2,000.

I have been looking for BRZ for about a month and since I drove manual car 20 years ago, I shouldn't have issue driving BRZ. I was looking for limited, however my wife liked TS and one dealer offered me for $31K white, is this a good deal? Also, this car has 51 miles and I am worried about that too! I will be buying on Tuesday (7/10), I was also told to ask the dealer to fill tank with premium gas and not regular. Do I need to know more about this car, please share your experience and advise. Thank you.
31K is an excellent price. I paid 32,241 for my CBS tS
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The wrx looks like shit.
The brz seats are incredible.
The wrx seats are wide and fat. Not bad but not particularly supportive.
The brz is a sports car and it handles infinitely better without gizmos like "torque vectoring".
The brz is naturally aspirated and simple.
The wrx is better if you vape.
The wrx hauls major ass. It can beat its advertised 0-60 by a lot.
The brz is the best looking production car under 60k
The wrx holds a lot of gear.
Neither car is suitable for winter or wilderness. They both have the same low ground clearance.

Last edited by ~el~jefe~; 07-20-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Jo momma
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
Brooklyn (07-23-2018), extrashaky (07-20-2018), krayzie (07-20-2018), Tcoat (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #34
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
The wrx looks like shit.
It looks like exactly what it is: A dumpy econobox with go-fast parts bolted on. The result is exactly the same thing you'd get if a Walmart stock boy still living at home with his parents bought a base Impreza and spent every paycheck on ricer parts to impress his buddies hanging out in the side parking lot after his Saturday night shift, just with slightly more polish since it was all bolted on by machines instead of out in the street in front of his mom's house.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #35
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
This is what BRZ owners actually believe
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #36
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The wrx looks like shit.
The brz seats are incredible.
The wrx seats are wide and fat. Not bad but not particularly supportive.
The brz is a sports car and it handles infinitely better without gizmos like "torque vectoring".
The brz is naturally aspirated and simple.
The wrx is better if you vape.
The wrx hauls major ass. It can beat its advertised 0-60 by a lot.
The wrx holds a lot of gear.
Neither car is suitable for winter or wilderness. They both have the same low ground clearance.
The WRX will also retain a lot more of its value if you don't plan to keep it forever. That isn't to say the BRZ depreciates quickly (let's not go there again) but a WRX holds its worth absurdly well. Looks and the vape dig are clearly subjective, but check out Savagegeese's WRX RA review into if you want a chuckle.

Typically which of the two I suggest depends upon the person asking. If they say about their current car "this thing is so slow and I want something faster," I typically point them in the direction of a WRX (or Mustang/Camaro). If we start out the conversation talking about our favorite back roads, and it isn't "that long straight by the airpot," I'd be more inclined to suggest a BRZ.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
It looks like exactly what it is: A dumpy econobox with go-fast parts bolted on. The result is exactly the same thing you'd get if a Walmart stock boy still living at home with his parents bought a base Impreza and spent every paycheck on ricer parts to impress his buddies hanging out in the side parking lot after his Saturday night shift, just with slightly more polish since it was all bolted on by machines instead of out in the street in front of his mom's house.
I agree and disagree at the same time. The WRX/STi strongly influenced how the base Impreza evolved over the years. Like the Evo/Lancer the base model took on many of the improvements developed for their rally versions which made them a bit better than what they would have been without those stronger versions. In contrast cars like the Cobalt SS are literally just base models with crap bolted on.

Still nothing can top a sports/sporty car that is designed from the ground up for the purpose.
extrashaky (07-21-2018), ~el~jefe~ (07-23-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #38
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Just marry the right kind of wife. I have a BRZ; my girlfriend has an STi. She eventually wants to sell it for a Lotus Elise. She despises minivans, and insists that our children will have to deal with riding in something sporty no matter what because while she doesn't want to drive the Lotus in the winter, she also doesn't want to drive something "boring." Though she's totally open to the option of some fun SUV thing as a third vehicle, but basically neither of us will allow the other one to sell their sports cars so... we good here, lol.

What does your wife drive?
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #39
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
What does your wife drive?
You quoted the answer to your question, lol. She's just my girlfriend, though :P

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 07-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #40
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Just marry the right kind of wife. I have a BRZ; my girlfriend has an STi. She eventually wants to sell it for a Lotus Elise. She despises minivans, and insists that our children will have to deal with riding in something sporty no matter what because while she doesn't want to drive the Lotus in the winter, she also doesn't want to drive something "boring." Though she's totally open to the option of some fun SUV thing as a third vehicle, but basically neither of us will allow the other one to sell their sports cars so... we good here, lol.
That is one end of the spectrum. My wife is at the other. She has picked all of her new vehicles based strictly upon colour. If they made a purple Yugo with under glow and fully optioned that is what she would want. She has zero interest in what it is beyond colour and gadgets. We spent 6 weeks searching for her last car and she flat out refused many great deals because they were not the colour she wanted. Thank god she spotted a weird ass blue hatch that met her strict colour requirements but I could still live with.

Oh and we were married in 1981 and she still puts up with me so if she wants a purple Yugo we will buy a damned purple Yugo.
rvoll (07-27-2018), Stang70Fastback (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 04:20 AM   #41
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
OP i dont have any kids myself, but there is a lady at my work who has a frs and has a kids seat in the rear passenger side seat.

Who says you can't use a twin for kids stuff?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #42
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My daughters are tall at age 11 and 15. It’s starting to get tough for them. They fit but only for short rides. Forget an hour or so it would be uncomfortable. The older daughters knees are near the dash just to give the younger one room for her legs. Absolutely no room behind me in the drivers.

My WRX can feel small with the kids in it but it is at least comfortable.

Big kids - WRX
Small kids - BRZ
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote