follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #57
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I had a 2006 (mk5) gti before I bought my FRS in 2013. I genuinely LOVED that car. It was fun, comfortable, pretty fast and just a nice place to be. Not a mercedes or anything but made a comparable compact feel like a tin can. I know they've improved each generation, but I feel 2006 was the BIG jump from the old boxy cars into what we have known them to be for the past 13yrs. The later models past the MK5 just seem like improvements and evolution from that one, not revelatory.

The only reason I moved to the FRS was because I wanted to have a more dynamic driving experience, and I really wanted a RWD platform.

I don't regret trading up, I ADORE my FRS. Still, 6yrs later I love it enough that I doubt i'll ever get rid of it.

BUT, as a commuter or road trip car? The GTI was amazingly good. And it would be FINE as an autoX or track car, but nowhere near the driving experience of the FRS.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:25 AM   #58
member_X

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited white
I bought a BRZ in 2012 when they first launched and recently replaced it with a 2018 GTI Autobahn. I had a kid this year and while I wish I could say the BRZ back seat is fine for babies, its not. Going from the BRZ to the GTI has been a lot of fun. The GTI interior is more refined and is a nicer place to spend time hands down. The lack of road noise stands out immediately. The Limited slip dif, adaptive suspension and powerful brakes are superb. I LOVE the torque.

The GTI doesn’t feel like playing racecar in that fizzy way the BRZ did and I may grow to miss that. I didn’t buy the BRZ for straight line speed but I have to admit over the years I got so tired of how gutless and buzzy the BRZ was. That said others observations about the GTI being an 8/10ths car is accurate. When my BRZ was new (and I was 25), The BRZ was exactly what I wanted and I was willing to throw it around on the street. Over last few years I found myself spending minutes instead of hours driving the BRZ at the limit. The BRZ always wants to be driven hard and I have found the GTI to be way less frustrating when stuck in traffic.

The BRZ handles better. That said I spent 3 hours carving back roads in the GTI today and it was a blast. Overtaking traffic is safer in the GTI (Most work trucks aren’t as fast as the GTI unlike the BRZ). Corner entry is all about keeping weight on the nose of both cars but the GTI’s brakes are stronger so you can come in hotter. Right at the Apex is where the BRZ’s Balance is a thing of beauty, but then at corner exit the GTI pulls way harder. Both are challenging and rewarding in their own ways.

TLDR – I’m old now and the BRZ is a young man’s car. If you like nice things or are thinking about kids get a GTI and you won’t be bummed.
member_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #59
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by member_X View Post
I bought a BRZ in 2012 when they first launched and recently replaced it with a 2018 GTI Autobahn. I had a kid this year and while I wish I could say the BRZ back seat is fine for babies, its not. Going from the BRZ to the GTI has been a lot of fun. The GTI interior is more refined and is a nicer place to spend time hands down. The lack of road noise stands out immediately. The Limited slip dif, adaptive suspension and powerful brakes are superb. I LOVE the torque.

The GTI doesn’t feel like playing racecar in that fizzy way the BRZ did and I may grow to miss that. I didn’t buy the BRZ for straight line speed but I have to admit over the years I got so tired of how gutless and buzzy the BRZ was. That said others observations about the GTI being an 8/10ths car is accurate. When my BRZ was new (and I was 25), The BRZ was exactly what I wanted and I was willing to throw it around on the street. Over last few years I found myself spending minutes instead of hours driving the BRZ at the limit. The BRZ always wants to be driven hard and I have found the GTI to be way less frustrating when stuck in traffic.

The BRZ handles better. That said I spent 3 hours carving back roads in the GTI today and it was a blast. Overtaking traffic is safer in the GTI (Most work trucks aren’t as fast as the GTI unlike the BRZ). Corner entry is all about keeping weight on the nose of both cars but the GTI’s brakes are stronger so you can come in hotter. Right at the Apex is where the BRZ’s Balance is a thing of beauty, but then at corner exit the GTI pulls way harder. Both are challenging and rewarding in their own ways.

TLDR – I’m old now and the BRZ is a young man’s car. If you like nice things or are thinking about kids get a GTI and you won’t be bummed.
Pretty good comparison. Thanks. For me I just don’t love FWD. Save more money and get the Golf R. I know it’s a lot more, but it’s worth it. Especially if you get winter weather. Although a GTI with snows works pretty well. I just don’t love the feel as much as RWD and AWD.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #60
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I had a kid this year and while I wish I could say the BRZ back seat is fine for babies, its not.
The Twins are fine for young kids who can buckle themselves (either in a booster or in a forward facing seat). Rear facing seats would be not fun, and older kids are too big to comfortably fit. I lucked out timing-wise with the age of my kids and my BRZ ownership.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:23 AM   #61
member_X

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
The Twins are fine for young kids who can buckle themselves (either in a booster or in a forward facing seat). Rear facing seats would be not fun, and older kids are too big to comfortably fit. I lucked out timing-wise with the age of my kids and my BRZ ownership.
Yeah, I had high hopes that the back seats would work out, but the rear mounted infant seat was no way to live. the only thing I could do was to put my kid in the seat outside of the car and then squeeze seat+baby into in to the back while trying not to scratch a seat or a forehead. My daughter only got a handful of rides but I bet her view was great looking up at the sky through rear window.

Once I get to the Booster seat phase I can start looking at coupes again!
member_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:45 PM   #62
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Yeah, I had high hopes that the back seats would work out, but the rear mounted infant seat was no way to live. the only thing I could do was to put my kid in the seat outside of the car and then squeeze seat+baby into in to the back while trying not to scratch a seat or a forehead. My daughter only got a handful of rides but I bet her view was great looking up at the sky through rear window.

Once I get to the Booster seat phase I can start looking at coupes again!
Yeah I lived with my kids though an 04 WRX wagon and even that was tight with the rear seats. In the middle with the pod seat, it would lean against both from seats. Passenger had to be moved up a bit. I do sit with the seat all the way back. I cannot imagine trying to do this in the BRZ. Not easy. I have had 3 people in the BRZ about 4 Times. The person in the back is jammed in there. Probably only good for booster seat or small children. Once they are 5ft tall it’s over for comfort or maybe just a short trip.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #63
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Im inclined to believe the twins can handle 4 passengers without too much issue as long as they are no taller than 5'-7" (my height). 5'-8" is probably doable in a squeeze but any taller and you're likely losing a passenger.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote