follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
It looks like exactly what it is: A dumpy econobox with go-fast parts bolted on. The result is exactly the same thing you'd get if a Walmart stock boy still living at home with his parents bought a base Impreza and spent every paycheck on ricer parts to impress his buddies hanging out in the side parking lot after his Saturday night shift, just with slightly more polish since it was all bolted on by machines instead of out in the street in front of his mom's house.

This is oddly specific
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan7831 For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #44
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Just marry the right kind of wife. I have a BRZ; my girlfriend has an STi. She eventually wants to sell it for a Lotus Elise. She despises minivans, and insists that our children will have to deal with riding in something sporty no matter what because while she doesn't want to drive the Lotus in the winter, she also doesn't want to drive something "boring." Though she's totally open to the option of some fun SUV thing as a third vehicle, but basically neither of us will allow the other one to sell their sports cars so... we good here, lol.
No Lotus in winter, you say?

Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #45
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Savageese sti vape video is the best thing on the internet this week
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #46
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Totally get a BRZ over an wrx, I didn't test drive the wrx when I bought my car. Fast forward a year later sister's bf wants a wrx and wants me to drive it home because he doesn't know how to drive it. Anyway I got really nervous because if I know they feel faster and what not kinda usually lose to them in autox, so what if i just spent 30k on the wrong car. But when I drove that car I thought it handled like a general sedan (my daily is a 2006 Pontiac g6)! Sure it's faster a d more responsive because of the turbo but it didn't feel anything like my bRz! So I felt relieved i bought right car! As per practicality the only scenario it's not is if I have 4 people with me to go somewhere. Otherwise I just fold the seats and pack it out, the biggest thing I put in it was 2- 7 foot fishing poles and I aligned then so the tips were below the passenger door arm/hand rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #47
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
Savageese sti vape video is the best thing on the internet this week
Had no idea he still was trying to YouTube.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #48
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Had no idea he still was trying to YouTube.
He’s doing YouTube full-time now. Savagegeese is my favorite YouTube channel by far
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #49
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
He’s doing YouTube full-time now. Savagegeese is my favorite YouTube channel by far
Wow, that's a pretty small channel in YouTube terms. Hopefully the videos are better since hes moved on from the twin he had, but those particular videos were pretty rough. Turbowski was definitely the shining star in those, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #50
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Wow, that's a pretty small channel in YouTube terms. Hopefully the videos are better since hes moved on from the twin he had, but those particular videos were pretty rough. Turbowski was definitely the shining star in those, lol.
Yeah it’s a small channel in comparison to the big dogs that do the same ol “top five things I love/hate about this car!” clickbait nonsense, but those channels are pretty boring to me. I like the no-nonsense, unbiased, detailed with some dry humor reviews of Savagegeese. The production value of the videos has definitely gone up since the early videos with the FRS, you can tell the video equipment (now in 4K) and editing skills have improved. Savagegeese has done some recent video/podcasts with The Smoking Tire, so I expect the channel to start picking up more views since he is mingling with other big names on YouTube.... but he admits that his videos are for a specific audience.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #51
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
His car reviews are good. I like the channel.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #52
AnotherSlowAE86

Drives: Subaru BRZ and AE86 coupe
I just came from a 2017 WRX to a 2014 BRZ. My WRX was fun enough and practical, but it still felt large and heavy. It wasn't as nimble as I had wanted and the design was boring.

Though the BRZ is a lot slower I still prefer it. The design, handling and fun factor swayed me. Additionally, I was able to save quite a bit on my monthly payment by "downgrading" to the older model BRZ, which just made the switch that much sweeter.

I can only recommend the WRX if you absolutely MUST have a sedan. If you don't then a lot of the appeal, at least for me, is diminished.
AnotherSlowAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #53
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
I test drove one before I bought my twin. It felt fat and horrible to drive to be honest. When I researched it, I found out that you can either get the old engine with all of the good STI stuff or the new engine with a that fake brake simulated slip diff system and the crappy transmission. No thanks. I'd go buy an EVO X or G8 GXP before I ever considered a new WRX, and while I realize new vs. used is usually an unfair comparison, the Subaru is so outdated, it kind of isn't.

The twin may be slower but it is way more fun so that's what I ended up with. The last gen hatchback STI is pretty cool but everyone selling theirs "knows what they have".
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #54
imprezza

Drives: impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
I test drove one before I bought my twin. It felt fat and horrible to drive to be honest. When I researched it, I found out that you can either get the old engine with all of the good STI stuff or the new engine with a that fake brake simulated slip diff system and the crappy transmission. No thanks. I'd go buy an EVO X or G8 GXP before I ever considered a new WRX, and while I realize new vs. used is usually an unfair comparison, the Subaru is so outdated, it kind of isn't.

The twin may be slower but it is way more fun so that's what I ended up with. The last gen hatchback STI is pretty cool but everyone selling theirs "knows what they have".

I had a 2017 Brz. Yes handling was sublime compared to the wrx, but the gearbox in the brz was poo compared to my 2018 wrx. IT ALWAYS clunked into second gear not matter what. even changed the tranny oil to no avail. WRX is butter smooth, they updated the 2nd gear syncro to carbon I believe for the 2018 wrx.
imprezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #55
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
If money is no object, the Subaru Ascent and the BRZ is the perfect combination. The Ascent is practical for hauling stuff around and perfect if you plan on breeding. The BRZ will provide you an escape if you need to escape the chaos that is the result of being a little to prolific.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote