follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
The RX8 is a wonderful driving car in my opinion. The chassis is downright sublime and I feel it's the best chassis Mazda ever made....

It guzzles gas, but maybe that's not a huge concern for most. They're quirky engines and the Renesis in particular is known to have major issues around 80k or so(apex seals, coolant seals, side seals).... I get the sense that it isn't a guaranteed thing like it is with many rotaries, ie the chances of getting 100k+ miles on an FA without major engine repairs needed are substantially higher. Even my rotary friends typically agree with me on that.
Agree completely with you on all points. I absolutely LOVED both the RX8's I owned. The car is pure magic. Unless you've driven/owned one, you can't understand how amazing it truly is. This might be blasphemy to some, but I think it's a better 'sports car' than the Miata. I sorely miss my last one, and often regret selling it.

The rotary engine was a love/hate relationship for me. I love the theory and idea of a rotary. It's a totally unique engine with essentially 3 moving parts, no valves, etc., and provides unparalleled smoothness compared with any reciprocating engine. The sound is just addictive...

But... the reality has the limitations you mentioned. It's a finicky, and often short-lived, engine that demands much more attention and care than a conventional reciprocating motor. As much as I loved (and miss) it, I was getting tired of the attention and tinkering it required. At this point in my life (60-something), I don't enjoy having to do work and wanted something I could just drive whenever I felt like it without a list of things to be concerned or think about.

That's where the BRZ came in. For me, it offers a similar feel to the RX8, 3/4 of the fun and excitement with 1/10 the care and maintenance (and 10x the reliability).

It's like the high-maintenance girl you might have gone out with long ago. Beautiful, exhilarating, scintillating, exciting, and full of passion. But as you get older, you might start to get tired of the headaches and constant attention required.

Doesn't stop me from sorely and often missing her. Or the RX8.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
AngelGT86Racer (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #16
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
My concern is spending between 5-10k for an RX8 and the engine blowing and then really taking a bath.

All opinions appreciated.

Buy one already blown up,, swap in a 325hp LFX.

https://www.keislerautomation.com/lf...otality-swap-2

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #17
DriveDriftDogfight86

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT; '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BRZ, yes

RX8, no
Old 01-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #18
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok, so I just got laid off, but have a new job. So I will be banking a good severance package. Some of that will go to a future Cayman 981 purchase. But I have been going back and forth between PDK or manual. Main reason for PDK is my wife likes the car and wants to drive, but can’t drive stick.

So I thought I always wanted an RX8 but mpg and maintenance/reliability kept me from getting one for DD. So I thought I purchase a used manual car to teach her, plus I get to drive an RX8 for a bit, probably teach my daughter as well and then sell. My concern is spending between 5-10k for an RX8 and the engine blowing and then really taking a bath. Or do I just spend more and get a used BRZ/86 in manual and do the same thing.

Either car will be sold when they can competently drive MT or the clutch goes.😀

All opinions appreciated.
How come it's between these two cars? I don't see the restriction if the car is meant to be a training wheels beater.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #19
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
If reliability is a priority no.

If it's really just your toy and you have time/money to spend get an FD.

RX8 was a Saturn/RX7 cross that was also the last kick at the can for rotary ICE engines. FD had that weird CD size circle in the dashboard which is very dated. (Hey everyone I'm listening to shiny new CDs!!) , but overall the body shape holds up and it wasn't marketed to people that liked the back seat either.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #20
scotto79

Drives: 2016 Ablaze FRS
I have been in the same boat, just looking for a project manual car to learn in and enjoy. i have looked at 5 rx8s in the area, 3 have blown seals, one is on the original motor, and one had the motor replaced at 40,000 km. If they weren't the $4k asking price, those would be perfect for an ls swap.
scotto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #21
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
How come it's between these two cars? I don't see the restriction if the car is meant to be a training wheels beater.
Really because I always wanted an RX8, but nightmare stories always kept me from purchasing. You are correct, could use any manual car for training, but I would prefer it be something I want to drive for fun as well.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #22
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Really because I always wanted an RX8, but nightmare stories always kept me from purchasing. You are correct, could use any manual car for training, but I would prefer it be something I want to drive for fun as well.
How common the nightmare stories are though is exactly what would keep me away. I'm going to assume the car will be around at least half a year, it would really suck getting something unreliable just for it to crap out after a few months of abuse.

On the flip side, it's just training wheels and you could get lucky. It's a gamble that's for sure.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #23
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've always had a soft spot for the RX8 as well, but couldn't pull the trigger due to reliability.
I wonder if the usage you have in mind could exacerbate these issues?
Given the flooding issues, wouldn't the RX8 be a bad choice for someone who is just learning manual (since stalling is guaranteed)?
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #24
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
How common the nightmare stories are though is exactly what would keep me away. I'm going to assume the car will be around at least half a year, it would really suck getting something unreliable just for it to crap out after a few months of abuse.

On the flip side, it's just training wheels and you could get lucky. It's a gamble that's for sure.
It’s like you wrote what I have been thinking.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #25
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I've always had a soft spot for the RX8 as well, but couldn't pull the trigger due to reliability.
I wonder if the usage you have in mind could exacerbate these issues?
Given the flooding issues, wouldn't the RX8 be a bad choice for someone who is just learning manual (since stalling is guaranteed)?
You are likely right. This was my sanity check. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
It’s like you wrote what I have been thinking.
I really say this just to try and sway you to another car. I doubt you'd want FWD, but it could be a chance to explore some other shit box.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #27
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Agree completely with you on all points. I absolutely LOVED both the RX8's I owned. The car is pure magic. Unless you've driven/owned one, you can't understand how amazing it truly is. This might be blasphemy to some, but I think it's a better 'sports car' than the Miata. I sorely miss my last one, and often regret selling it.

The rotary engine was a love/hate relationship for me. I love the theory and idea of a rotary. It's a totally unique engine with essentially 3 moving parts, no valves, etc., and provides unparalleled smoothness compared with any reciprocating engine. The sound is just addictive...

But... the reality has the limitations you mentioned. It's a finicky, and often short-lived, engine that demands much more attention and care than a conventional reciprocating motor. As much as I loved (and miss) it, I was getting tired of the attention and tinkering it required. At this point in my life (60-something), I don't enjoy having to do work and wanted something I could just drive whenever I felt like it without a list of things to be concerned or think about.

That's where the BRZ came in. For me, it offers a similar feel to the RX8, 3/4 of the fun and excitement with 1/10 the care and maintenance (and 10x the reliability).

It's like the high-maintenance girl you might have gone out with long ago. Beautiful, exhilarating, scintillating, exciting, and full of passion. But as you get older, you might start to get tired of the headaches and constant attention required.

Doesn't stop me from sorely and often missing her. Or the RX8.
i dont think i would say its better than the miata for sports cars but i do agree that its probably the most short changed in the sports car world in all of time.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #28
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Why not just get a Miata in a few months and sell it in Sept/Oct?

You are probably not too keen on paying $1000 for a set of winters on the RX-8 or 86 so none would be viable in the winter anyways.

Miata will be cheaper, easier to fix, and less depreciation.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote