follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
AC compressor tweet

When the AC is on the AC compressor kicking on is normal but mine tend to kick on very often under load condition. When the engine is cold the compressor kicks on every 3 – 8 seconds, after the engine warmed up it kicks in every 15 to 30 seconds, finally when outside temperature is over 100 degrees and the engine is warmed up it kicks every once in a while (like how most cars are). When it does kick on under load condition it makes this tweet sound (like smoke alarm low on battery) and a slight hesitation in power delivery. Do you guys have this same noise under driving condition?
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:
kuma (08-14-2012), Mazdaspeed (08-03-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Subie
Señor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm getting this exact same noise! I thought at first it was the suspension but I heard the noise the moment I turned on the A/C earlier today and made the connection. I'm going to the dealer later in the week for the more serious drone/resonance issue I'm having but I'll also bring up the A/C noise to have it documented.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wait, does it sound like it's coming from the behind the gauges? I've been getting a similar sound and it drives me nuts!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Subie
Señor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Wait, does it sound like it's coming from the behind the gauges? I've been getting a similar sound and it drives me nuts!
It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car/engine bay to me, but check and see if the noise is related to whether or not the A/C is on.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car/engine bay to me, but check and see if the noise is related to whether or not the A/C is on.
It's definitely coming from the front of the car somewhere. I'll try to see if it does away when the A/C off.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Hanzo

I've already found the source of the noise, it's the AC compressor. If you sit at idle, rev up your engine to around 2K and leave it steady, turn on and off your AC you will hear that noise (AC compressor clutch kicking in) it has to be under load to make the tweet noise otherwise it’s just a click (normal). I wonder if our AC is slowly leaking since it didn't start to do this until around 1000K miles.

Next time I take my car in I'll have to check the AC level.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
i get the same tweet, only with a/c on.
not to be confused with the crickets, definitely something different, and one single tweet.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
ill86 (08-14-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Me too! I drive 1500 miles round trip and it drove me nuts when I didn't have the radio on lol. It's so low but still noticeable. It happens at cruising speeds too. I have 3500 miles on the car already.
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
jt
Chud

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Yes.

And it drives me nuts. Between the crickets, tweets, jar of marbles in the clutch, and the license plate rattle I'm starting to wish I still had my Miata.
jt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jt For This Useful Post:
Hanzo (08-01-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have it as well and plan on taking it to the dealer next week, if anybody finds the cause let me know before hand it might be a simple fix.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
ssmtsx

Drives: Ultramarine 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes!!! This has been driving me crazy. I could not figure out why/where that noise was coming from.

My A/C is also abysmal. It does not keep my car cool at all...I just hit 3600 miles.
ssmtsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Argento) M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yep, I'm having the same issues... Mileage is at 2300. while driving I just turn the A/C on and off and you can hear that chirp, but if left on, it chirps every 14 seconds or so... Drives me nuts! Definitely an A/C issue, though to me it sounds like an cabin noise behind the dash. When I get a chance, I'll have a buddy of mine rev the engine up and turn on the A/C and see if I can locate the sound with a long screwdriver. If I can pinpoint it, I'll attempt to come up with a fix... I'm afraid if I take it to Toyota they are just going to tell me... "I don't hear it" same spiel all of the time...
Surakusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Hanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surakusa View Post
Yep, I'm having the same issues... Mileage is at 2300. while driving I just turn the A/C on and off and you can hear that chirp, but if left on, it chirps every 14 seconds or so... Drives me nuts! Definitely an A/C issue, though to me it sounds like an cabin noise behind the dash. When I get a chance, I'll have a buddy of mine rev the engine up and turn on the A/C and see if I can locate the sound with a long screwdriver. If I can pinpoint it, I'll attempt to come up with a fix... I'm afraid if I take it to Toyota they are just going to tell me... "I don't hear it" same spiel all of the time...
I did that already, you don't need a screwdriver. Have your friend rev up the engine around 2,500 rpm in neutral. Have your friend turn on an off the AC while you stand in front of the car with the hood open and you'll hear the tweet coming from the AC compressor clutch kicking in making the tweet.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Argento) M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Grrr! That's frustrating! We gotta get this fixed! haha. I can't imagine what would cause that chirp unless there just isn't enough refrigerant in the system due to a leak or what not since the refrigerant also acts as a lubricant. Hmmm... Interesting problem indeed! Regardless... A new car should not be making this noise... :P
Surakusa is offline   Reply With Quote