follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2021, 01:48 AM   #1
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best way to fix curb rash on bumper?

After three years of ownership, I finally gone done it... I got my first curb rash. And it's quite the rash - not a scuff, not a chip, but full-on rash. And it's right on the corner of the front bumper. I'll save the sob story and just get to the point. I tried looking up solutions short of professional help and have come to the following:

- OEM touch up pens are probably a no-go for that size and width.
- STI front lip will not cover it as the "side winglet" will be just right behind the rash.

- Sand with very fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the surface and spray paint?
- Let time heal all wounds (forget it and continue driving without a care)

The thing is that I have Xpel PPF on the bumper too so it's kinda tricky doing any sort of painting and will be very expensive to have the film removed for the spot to be fixed professionally.

If there is any technological advancement in DIY auto paint repair that I've missed, please enlighten. Or any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #2
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Brush touch and get over it. Although the factory color will look off.
soundman98 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have one of those too, although I have a crack to accompany it. Most of it fits under the lip though..
In your case, the clear bra makes spraying it a lot more difficult. Maybe try one of these?

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/st...nts/index.aspx

I used an aerosol can from this place to color match my TRD style spoiler and it's a perfect match.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
FritoPendejo

Drives: FRS
just slap a sticker over it
FritoPendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i would apply touchup paint to the black so it's less noticeable. but it will never, ever match.
Windycitystig (01-24-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Baldeagle

Drives: VW GLI 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I’d be curious to know

A. The cost to fix it professionally.
B. How much this damage will decrease the car’s trade-in value if not fixed.
C. How much a DIY touch up would still decrease the car’s trade-in value.

Hypothetically, if this bumper rash will decrease the car’s trade-in value by $500 and the cost to repaint the bumper is $900, the delta is $400. The timing of when you absorb that must be considered, the potential to process it through insurance and pay only a deducible (pros and cons to that option, I know), how long before you intend to replace this car and that effect on future trade-in value and how long you must look at the damage are all variables in this equation. But it might be worth getting a formal repair estimate just to have a reference point. In the end, fixing it may not be as expensive as you think.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
I've got a guy near me who would do a very good...

but not perfect, paint on that for like $200. He has some missing teeth, isn't great with scheduling, and you pay cash - but it's nice to have.

Luckily, I haven't had to use him yet - probably because the BRZ doesn't sit as low as the 2007 BMW 335i coupe I used to have - that front lip got caught on EVERYTHING - even at stock height.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
SuperSub7

Drives: Awesome
if i were you id just do it professionally to be honest and take the hit.....thats just me. i cant stand that hah.
SuperSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #9
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I’d be curious to know

Hypothetically, if this bumper rash will decrease the car’s trade-in value by $500 and the cost to repaint the bumper is $900, the delta is $400. The timing of when you absorb that must be considered, the potential to process it through insurance and pay only a deducible (pros and cons to that option, I know), how long before you intend to replace this car and that effect on future trade-in value and how long you must look at the damage are all variables in this equation. But it might be worth getting a formal repair estimate just to have a reference point. In the end, fixing it may not be as expensive as you think.
that single paint defect is well within haggling range when talking trade-in's. i've never seen or heard of a specific dollar amount for KBB deductions when discussing vehicle imperfections. it's more of an overall valuation. if the car is 90% clean, there's not going to be much of a deduction that couldn't be threatened back into existence by walking out on the deal.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:40 AM   #10
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I’d be curious to know

I'm on the boat of driving any of my cars until the wheels fall off.. my idea is that if I were to buy a (sports) car to prioritize resale value, I would just not get it in the first place - arguably more money saved that way. That being said, I have less than 14k miles in the 3 years of ownership. This is the sole major scruff on an otherwise 98% clean car (which makes it even worse). I also have full Xpel PPF on the front. I think this little scuff is negligible in grand scheme of resale value if I were to be forced to sell it. I would get some estimates from some shops later but my biggest concern is that a full on repair would probably require the removal of the PPF on the bumper... and that would add to the repair cost.I also get that pro repair isolated to just that exposed area would not look as good at all if they would even agree to do that in the first place.

Anyway, I got a closer look at the rash in daylight now and realized the curb was effectively a very coarse file. Might require at least a fine sand, some fillers, then go the aerosol route.
Attached Images

Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
soundman98

iirc, that protective film is supposed to be replaced every 5-7 years. leaving it on longer than that, it cracks, yellows, and becomes part of the car in a bad way.

could consider addressing this when replacing the film later.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Anyway, I got a closer look at the rash in daylight now and realized the curb was effectively a very coarse file. Might require at least a fine sand, some fillers, then go the aerosol route.
Scrape it smoother with a razor blade and brush touch it. You will make a bigger eye sore otherwise. For a start the blue is a 3 layer pearl and if you dont understand this how do you think you will go doing a good job with a light sand,some filler and a spray can. Sounds so easy people do this job for years and still get mistakes
Old 01-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
Baldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
that single paint defect is well within haggling range when talking trade-in's. i've never seen or heard of a specific dollar amount for KBB deductions when discussing vehicle imperfections. it's more of an overall valuation. if the car is 90% clean, there's not going to be much of a deduction that couldn't be threatened back into existence by walking out on the deal.
If you had two identical blue BRZs (year, mileage, features, etc.) next to each other on a lot, but one had that scuff and the other were perfect, how much of a discount would you require to buy the scuffed BRZ compared to the perfect BRZ? That difference is how much the dealership would need to lower the trade-in value of the scuffed BRZ. On a low mileage, newer car, that scuff could be enough to lower the overall condition from “outstanding” to “good.” On a high-mileage, older car with several other dents, dings, scratches and scuffs, it might make no difference at all. And in Seiryuu’s case, if he intends to keep the car until the wheels fall off, this scuff may have no financial consequence. Plus, this will undoubtedly not be the only blemish his car will get. But I still think it would be helpful to know the cost for a professional repair, if only to confirm that doing nothing is the right decision.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
Baldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I got a closer look at the rash in daylight now and realized the curb was effectively a very coarse file. Might require at least a fine sand, some fillers, then go the aerosol route.
As a “lesser evil” idea, have you considered covering the scrape with blue reflective tape and adding an identically shaped or mirrored piece of blue tape to the same spot on the left side of the bumper for symmetry? Make it look intentional. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post: