follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #421
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig85 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Personal life been nutty. Just pulled them now
No worries, man. Thanks for posting. Notice how your numbers are more in line with mine now? Intake hovers around 60 deg. and exhaust is closer to 90.

Check out that angle for bank 1 intake. Here's where it was before you replaced the ECU. Remember how it never changed?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #422
thE_iyE

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Guys, a jammed spool valve will fuck up a perfectly good ECU. Once the ECU is out of whack, it MUST be replaced. It will never re-learn the correct initial position values. It sucks that the system is designed that way but, until someone cracks the low-level area where those values are stored, there's no return adjustment.
Holy thread revival batman, I know.

Is it safe to say that theres really no harm in deleting the code from the ecu once you've verified there are no mechanical issues, then? Of course, barring that the ocv or sprocket break later down the road?
thE_iyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #423
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thE_iyE View Post
Holy thread revival batman, I know.

Is it safe to say that theres really no harm in deleting the code from the ecu once you've verified there are no mechanical issues, then? Of course, barring that the ocv or sprocket break later down the road?
No harm. Do you have techstream to check those learning values?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #424
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfrs2013 View Post
I can tell you this! My dealer told me that since I had not had the oil changed at dealer and there were no records of it being changed (because I do it), that they would NOT do any work under warranty. I think they used that as a loop hole! They also told me they were willing to help me out. They offered me a $400 discount on the total 3K to fix my car! Just be wary of the dealer. They had my car a week and kept promising me that I would not have to pay anything. They also told me they were running it by cooperate as well. After a week of going back and forth, They told me I would have to pay! In my opinion, way too many loop holes in the dealer warranties!
I've done my own oil changes on multiple cars and the BRZ and keep my records electronically. Dates, notes and pictures of receipts. I have used these as evidence of my own regular oil and filter changes on multiple warranty jobs from engine replacement to broken internals and never had an issue. They will try every which way to get out of paying for warranty coverage. Not just dealers but aftermarket warranty companies too. Some dealers put customer service above all else and will take care of you almost no matter what' but having your receipts in semi decent order is more than sufficient proof of maintenance, in MOST cases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #425
thE_iyE

Quote:
No harm. Do you have techstream to check those learning values?
I got this error report from techstream from the shop. This is with an engine speed of about 2000 RPM.

Also, I've read pretty much all the threads I can find about this kind of error code, and I've swapped OCVs, checked sensor clearance, and pulled the timing cover to check for the loose spring in the back or to see if the cam vvt lock pin was broken (i.e. loose cam). Best I can tell is that the previous owner had this problem and fixed it with the OCV, as one is obviously new compared to the other 3. Also, the vehicle runs fine until limp mode.

Also, will deleting the code prevent it from entering limp mode due to this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 0_New Doc 2019-02-24 13.04.02.pdf (386.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #426
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I got this error report from techstream from the shop. This is with an engine speed of about 2000 RPM.

Also, I've read pretty much all the threads I can find about this kind of error code, and I've swapped OCVs, checked sensor clearance, and pulled the timing cover to check for the loose spring in the back or to see if the cam vvt lock pin was broken (i.e. loose cam). Best I can tell is that the previous owner had this problem and fixed it with the OCV, as one is obviously new compared to the other 3. Also, the vehicle runs fine until limp mode.

Also, will deleting the code prevent it from entering limp mode due to this issue?
It looks like, in that screenshot, that it's already in limp mode. Here I highlighted the commanded angles in red and the measured angles in blue. They're zeroed out because either:
  1. it's in limp mode.
  2. The engine is in fuel cut mode because it's coasting or spooling down

Clearing the code will clear limp mode but if the underlying cause still exists, it will throw it again. I don't know how long that takes.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #427
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
It looks like, in that screenshot, that it's already in limp mode. Here I highlighted the commanded angles in red and the measured angles in blue. They're zeroed out because either:
  1. it's in limp mode.
  2. The engine is in fuel cut mode because it's coasting or spooling down

Clearing the code will clear limp mode but if the underlying cause still exists, it will throw it again. I don't know how long that takes.

I think by “deleting” code he was referring to disabling the code in the rom similar to how you would disable the cat efficiently CEL on a catless header. His point being that it drives fine until it gets mad and throws the code and limps. That is my interpretation of his post anyways.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #428
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I think by “deleting” code he was referring to disabling the code in the rom similar to how you would disable the cat efficiently CEL on a catless header. His point being that it drives fine until it gets mad and throws the code and limps. That is my interpretation of his post anyways.
Is that possible? Hmm...
Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #429
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Is that possible? Hmm...

I sort of doubt it. I will check tomorrow to see if it’s even on the list of CELs that can be disabled.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #430
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yes you can disable the code, will stop it going jnto limp mode, but obviously the underlying issue is still there and may eventualky cause other issues.

If you have done the mechanical checks and swaps.

Id probavly swap in a replacent ecu as its fairly easy and cheap like $100 on ebay
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
TheStig85 (02-24-2019), Ultramaroon (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #431
thE_iyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Exactly. I'd like to remove the code from the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes you can disable the code, will stop it going jnto limp mode, but obviously the underlying issue is still there and may eventualky cause other issues.

If you have done the mechanical checks and swaps.

Id probavly swap in a replacent ecu as its fairly easy and cheap like $100 on ebay
I already had a local shop use a tactrix cable to flash me to B01C, and there are burnt-in values in the ecu that live past a reflash.

Since that is the case, I don't see how buying a used ECU will solve my problem in a reliable way as those burnt in values will (likely) be different than what they need to be on the used ECU, no?

Additionally, the shop I'm working with is" extremely busy," buying my own tactrix cable also means buying a laptop, and I have never done a reflash. I'm technically inclined, but the risk remains, and I feel having the shop delete the code is likely better in my case
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #432
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Exactly. I'd like to remove the code from the ROM.

I already had a local shop use a tactrix cable to flash me to B01C, and there are burnt-in values in the ecu that live past a reflash.

Since that is the case, I don't see how buying a used ECU will solve my problem in a reliable way as those burnt in values will (likely) be different than what they need to be on the used ECU, no?

Additionally, the shop I'm working with is" extremely busy," buying my own tactrix cable also means buying a laptop, and I have never done a reflash. I'm technically inclined, but the risk remains, and I feel having the shop delete the code is likely better in my case

I dont think theor are burnt in values in ecu, i think the problem ecu,s have actual hardware issues with the interfaces that control the valve actuatoror the inputs from sensors

If done a or been involved in quite a number of ecu swaps no issues.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #433
thE_iyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I dont think theor are burnt in values in ecu, i think the problem ecu,s have actual hardware issues with the interfaces that control the valve actuatoror the inputs from sensors

If done a or been involved in quite a number of ecu swaps no issues.
I've heard it now from the local tuner who has seen issue before. The learned values for cam position dont change after a flash. I suppose it is possible that theres a witing issue/ecu plug issue, but that wouldnt necessarily explain p0016 as p0016 is a lack of proper timing, not a lack of signal. That's why the sensor clearance TSB really has nothing to do with this family of codes.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #434
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I suppose it is possible that theres a witing issue/ecu plug issue, but that wouldnt necessarily explain p0016 as p0016 is a lack of proper timing, not a lack of signal. That's why the sensor clearance TSB really has nothing to do with this family of codes.
See, thats where you are wrong. I had this code, the shop that works on my car was able to diagnose and correct the issue. The sensor was sending 0 as values (same as the screenshot you have), he swapped the sensor for a new one, but that still didnt fix it, he had to "reset" some values in the ECU (maybe he was refering to these learned values people speak of) and then everything worked normally. I feel like I cheated on this one, for as much trouble as people seem to be having with this particular issue, it took the shop just 1-2 hours with 1 person on the car to fix it. The car was tuned with Ecutek and the shop is a master tuner for ecutek, if that means anything (he had to change the hardware he was using to reset the values, as the laptop he was using initially wouldnt allow him to do that).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote