follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I'm surprised by the results too i knew the Airraid wasn't a great design and all the previous dyno's i've seen of the Injen lose power everywhere except the very top end. I think the AVO and AFE are still the best options out of this group i don't think the Injen will make that power number under most conditions.
This. I suppose it will if you drive with the hood off in 50-60 degree weather. LOL.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
In all those setup is Snorkel deleted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
Negative, I elected to keep it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
Will it made difference in gains if removed?
It absolutely makes a difference. IMO the Airaid dyno run should be scrapped and done again since Airaid has stated many times in their intake development thread that when they put it on a flowbench after removing the snorkel that they measured a 20% improvement in airflow. It is clearly a bottleneck for the Airaid in particular. The velocity stack design of the Airaid inlet is actually very good at drawing in fresh, cool air versus the snorkel.

The instructions for the Airaid do not require snorkel removal but it is strongly suggested by all their reps and everyone that installs their intakes for max performance. That's likely a contributing factor to why you're seeing the top end loss on the dyno.

Quote:
To get the most airflow I recommend removing the factory inlet to let the box breathe from the space behind the bumper. It is possible to unbolt the top edge of the bumper and sneak the inlet out very carefully. We designed in a nice smooth velocity stack where it mates to the inlet which netted a couple more hp. By adding the velocity stack and removing the factory inlet, the CFM increased by 20% on the flowbench. I also stuck my hand in through the opening where the airbox breathes from and it is noticably cooler inside the bumper, so we know it is a great source for fresh, cool air.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (02-17-2014), mike2100 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
^+1

Same applies to the aFe Takeda intake. Snorkel removal is part of their installation directions.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (01-28-2013)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
The velocity stack design of the Airaid inlet is actually very good at drawing in fresh, cool air versus the snorkel.
Actually, this is a bit skewed. The AIRAID unit has about 1-1.5 inches of space between the mouth of the box and the portal to the front bumper (where the fresh, cool air is). By comparison, aFe has less than a centimeter of space between it's mouth and the portal.

Don't get too hung up on the velocity stacks. The aFe doesn't have a hardcore velocity stack at the mouth, or one in the chamber, and it still outflows the AIRAID unit by an average of 20g/s according to the MAFS. In addition, the aFe pulled in cooler air.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
So here are the results of the first slew of intakes that are out there.
Did you disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ECU between each intake install?

I'm having trouble understanding how the Injen, with its open faced design, would make the most power. It has no inlet directing cool air from inside the bumper, just an open face that's at least 3-4 inches away from where the snorkel resides. It can and will draw in hot air rising off the block and header that gets trapped under the hood while idling. The other systems are all well sealed and have inlets much closer to the snorkel air source. It just doesn't make sense to me; maybe since the hood was up during the dyno pulls it didn't draw in as much hot air.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
CharlieChaos

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Summary : Given the above results, it's at least clear that the winner for this round would have to go to the INJEN setup, assuming that you're not one of those affected but the bogging issues / CELs that you may experience.
I have not yet picked an intake out but this seems to be a deciding factor as well either you get more power or bogging issues. Its like flip a coin. Just my 2 cents.

On that note has Injen said anything about fixing whatever the issue is?

http://genometuning.com
http://www.BlackHandGaming.com
CharlieChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Did you disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ECU between each intake install?

I'm having trouble understanding how the Injen, with its open faced design, would make the most power. It has no inlet directing cool air from inside the bumper, just an open face that's at least 3-4 inches away from where the snorkel resides. It can and will draw in hot air rising off the block and header that gets trapped under the hood while idling. The other systems are all well sealed and have inlets much closer to the snorkel air source. It just doesn't make sense to me; maybe since the hood was up during the dyno pulls it didn't draw in as much hot air.
This^

They probably had the hood open, and a fan blowing on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
XEautosport

Drives: Lexus GS300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
This^

They probably had the hood open, and a fan blowing on it.
Weren't all of them tested that way?
XEautosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEautosport View Post
I was going to say that...if they were all tested the same way then it is what is really. I took the snorkel out of my bumper and the gap is pretty much the same and with out the snorkel according to the results my car pulled in about 7 more g/s and kept the intake cooler during wot with the stock intake and hks intake filter. Only thing is that when the car is idling for a good amount of time the intake ran really hot. Injen has been in the game for quite some time and maybe theres more to their design than we know..who knows!

And if im not mistaken doesnt hot air always rise and on the top of the box there are vents, maybe they serve more purpose than we think!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We need to have E92M3GUY add these to the Dyno Database
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEautosport View Post
Right, but the aFe and stock intakes pull air from the front bumper regardless of whether or not the hood is open. The Injen and AIRAID units pull more air from the engine bay. As the temps rise in the engine bay, the power these intakes put out decrease (the effect is rather quick, actually). By just leaving the hood open for all intakes, you're negating this advantage, which can produce unrealistic results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-10-2012), gmookher (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Right, but the aFe and stock intakes pull air from the front bumper regardless of whether or not the hood is open. The Injen and AIRAID units pull more air from the engine bay. As the temps rise in the engine bay, the power these intakes put out decrease (the effect is rather quick, actually). By just leaving the hood open for all intakes, you're negating this effect, which can produce unrealistic results.
OOO i get what your trying to say. Really shocked at the airraid tho. Pretty scary results..when u sent me your flow bench and i compared it to my stock i was excited that it out flowed it but now it might not mean anything lol
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Right, but the aFe and stock intakes pull air from the front bumper regardless of whether or not the hood is open. The Injen and AIRAID units pull more air from the engine bay. As the temps rise in the engine bay, the power these intakes put out decrease (the effect is rather quick, actually). By just leaving the hood open for all intakes, you're negating this effect, which can produce unrealistic results.
This.

Plus the presence of the snorkel in all these tests (where the Airaid and Takeda need a snorkel delete for best results) is why I think everyone should take these results with a huge grain of salt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-10-2012), TAP Auto Parts (10-10-2012), tintumz22 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
OOO i get what your trying to say. Really shocked at the airraid tho. Pretty scary results..when u sent me your flow bench and i compared it to my stock i was excited that it out flowed it but now it might not mean anything lol
The AIRAID registered a flow very similar to stock. So I think your comparison is still valid.