follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Sphinx

Drives: 18 BRZ PP & 99 Spec Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wheels for SSC?

I was reading an old SCCA article and it mentioned that TireRack was selling one of their TR Motorsports rims for the SSC class, but I see no trace of it on the TR site.

In the absence of that, what's a decent and cheap wheel that you guys like for SSC?

Looks like the car fits in DS too. But why is the 86 without TRD suspension = BRZ with Performance Package?

I've always thought that the PP and the TRD parts were all the same stuff.

Last edited by Sphinx; 01-28-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
TR Motorsport C4 shows up just fine when I look. Make sure you put in solo spec coupe when selecting a vehicle to shop for.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...4&autoModClar=

TRD suspension includes lowering springs which are stiffer and thus notably better performing then OEM FRS/86/BRZ. The BRZ performance package does not come with any meaningful suspension changes instead focusing on 0.5" wider wheels, PS4S tires, and pretty brake calipers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Note that the performance package only comes on '17+ BRZ's which are not eligible for SSC which only allows the '13-'16 FRS/BRZ.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Breezio (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
TR Motorsport C4 shows up just fine when I look. Make sure you put in solo spec coupe when selecting a vehicle to shop for.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...4&autoModClar=

TRD suspension includes lowering springs which are stiffer and thus notably better performing then OEM FRS/86/BRZ. The BRZ performance package does not come with any meaningful suspension changes instead focusing on 0.5" wider wheels, PS4S tires, and pretty brake calipers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Note that the performance package only comes on '17+ BRZ's which are not eligible for SSC which only allows the '13-'16 FRS/BRZ.
I see them now - from a fitment perspective, I would have thought that they would at least show up when searching for an 18, even if the car isn't eligible for the class. Thanks. At least I can put some track tires on those rims. I presume that they'll clear the PP brakes?

Got it on the suspension side - I thought it came with better springs, but alas. Are the TRD shocks tuned differently than the PP ones? I figure OEMs are usually lazy, especially if it comes to relatively low volume sales.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
17+ cars are not able to be used for SSC. The 17+ PP comes with different struts as well. They are not the same struts from the TRD Packaged FRS.

If you have a 17+, stick to street class or bump up to STX.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
17+ cars are not able to be used for SSC. The 17+ PP comes with different struts as well. They are not the same struts from the TRD Packaged FRS.

If you have a 17+, stick to street class or bump up to STX.
Good advice, thanks. *checks autocross schedule* Like will stick with stock, maybe even with the prius tires.

For track day sticky rubber, would the rims fit the PP brakes?
Old 01-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Good advice, thanks. *checks autocross schedule* Like will stick with stock, maybe even with the prius tires.

For track day sticky rubber, would the rims fit the PP brakes?
In the street class, you can put some sticky 200tw tires, even change your wheels(stock width only, can go to a 17 or 18, near stock offset).

I would run your stock wheels and tires for autox and track, when the tires are toast, upgrade them at that point.

With the PP, you will need to find the thread that has wheels that fit with the calipers in the wheel section on here.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tire rack actually may not be confident that they clear the pp brakes, you can contact them directly and they usually know why.

Trd spec doesn't come with any changes to the dampers iirc, which doesn't matter because you'll want koni yellows or mcs for Street class anyway. Same story for PP. The special brz ts has bilsteins otherwise you just get year over year tweaks.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote