follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
Stephen02

Drives: 2013 Manual Trans FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is my axle bad?

Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope this is the right place for it.
My FR-S has been making a clicking sound which is only audible at low speed and seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It's louder with the window down. It happens regardless of what gear I'm in or wheather or not the clutch is engaged. I adjusted the parking brake somewhat recently with the little wheel in the drum, Could that be the cause of the noise? From what I've read online it sounds like the axles on these cars are not the most durable. Here's a link to a video of me spinning the rear driver's side wheel does it sound like a bad axle?

https://youtube.com/shorts/K24pBBLhKt4

PS: Don't hate me for the green brake caliper the previous owner painted it not me.
Stephen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen02 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-26-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
kevaughan

Drives: BMW E30, 2014 FR-S
Exact same symptoms as mine. From the rear, only at low speeds. It'll get worse, and when it decides to break, it'll leave you stranded (you won't be able to roll your car in neutral afterwards). I highly recommend you replace them. I had Subaru send me their rebuilt axles so I can save a little on the repair.

Did you lower your car a lot? I raised my car a little bit to avoid this issue.
kevaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #3
Stephen02

Just got some Autozone axles today. I'll be installing them sometime this week, hopefully they hold up. My car's actually at stock ride height but I bought it from Copart and have no idea how the previous owner treated it. When I got it the clutch was smoked and the rear tires were practically bald.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
The axles in these cars are fine even under light boost. I have 100k miles and 6 years of track abuse on my car, no axle failures. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but may not be the culprit. If you replace the CV’s use new axle nuts and buy a set of diff seals where the axle comes in. You can damage them if you are not careful. The stock grease in the CV’s is junk though. Before you replace anything check the axle nut. You will get a clicking sound from the hub to axle if it is not tight. 143ftlbs. If you search on the forum it will come up.
humfrz (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #5
Stephen02

Already tried re-torquing the axle nuts, didn't help.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:21 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen02 View Post
Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope this is the right place for it.
My FR-S has been making a clicking sound which is only audible at low speed and seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It's louder with the window down. It happens regardless of what gear I'm in or wheather or not the clutch is engaged. I adjusted the parking brake somewhat recently with the little wheel in the drum, Could that be the cause of the noise? From what I've read online it sounds like the axles on these cars are not the most durable. Here's a link to a video of me spinning the rear driver's side wheel does it sound like a bad axle?

https://youtube.com/shorts/K24pBBLhKt4

PS: Don't hate me for the green brake caliper the previous owner painted it not me.
Welcome to the group -

It could be a dragging parking brake shoe, just back it off and see if it stops.

It may be the former owners fault that the brake calipers are painted green, but, it's your fault if you allow them to remain green. (jest ah messen wich ya) -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen02 View Post
Already tried re-torquing the axle nuts, didn't help.

That sucks.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:46 PM   #8
BrZ_Good

Drives: '13 BRZ Ice Silver Metallic
I’ve got a bad hub right rear, I’m just gonna do axles too. What’s the best move? Dealer parts? Any cheaper performance aftermarket?
BrZ_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:08 AM   #9
Stephen02

They're like $820 if you buy both of them from the dealer but if you're going to spend that kind of money Driveshaft shop makes some stronger axles that are rated for 800 hp that cost around $1,100. You could also get used OE axles on ebay for around a quarter of what the dealer charges.

I wouldn't recomend parts store axles I installed some Autozone axles and the shaft was noticeably thinner than that of the OE axles and they felt like poorer quality. From the day I installed them they would squeak when going over bumps and when shifting gears. I also noticed a slight resistance to going into gear in the shifter. Also, I did donuts once in a rainy parking lot and now they creek when going around a turn with any real speed. Maybe other parts stores are better
Old 08-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I too have had bad experiences with cheap aftermarket axles. I actually managed to shear one in half (like the metal axle shaft, not the joint or anything) in my old Outback by just putting my foot to the floor, lmao. I only use OEM axles now.

FYI, once you pick a local dealership, you usually get a pretty significant discount applied on the online parts site. An OEM axle is $351 as long as I pick it up from the dealership. Probably winds up being more like $750 total for two once lovely Illinois tax is applied, though.

The photo below is the comparison between the aftermarket axle I sheared in half, and the OEM one I replaced it with. Again, this was on my old Outback, and NOT my BRZ, but I see no reason why cheap axles for our cars wouldn't be any different. Look at the difference in the thickness of the axle shafts!
Attached Images

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #11
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I got a new OEM subaru drive axle for $345 shipped from subarupartsdeal.com
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle