follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #253
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Well, because everything is a trade-off, isn't it? No need to be so black-and-white. Do I wish the 86 had more power? Yes. That doesn't mean I need to go buy something else instead, or that I'm going to be disappointed with the amount of power and want to return/exchange the car after I get it.

I also wish the 86 had a more convenient place to put a phone, for that matter. Doesn't mean I need to go look for a completely different make and model of car to buy.
The car having the right amount of power is much more integral to most people's enjoyment of the car than a more convenient place to put your phone. Nice false equivalence though.

If the 86's power level is something that isn't where you want it to be, my advice is to buy a different car that has the power level you want, even if the power level isn't a total dealbreaker. Like @why? said, too many people buy these cars and end up hating them because they want them to be something they aren't. But, at the end of the day, its just my opinion. Based on what you've said, I don't personally think you'll enjoy this car as much as you think you will. If you think otherwise, buy the car. Its your decision, not mine.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Audio (11-27-2018), why? (10-30-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #254
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

That's a funny original thread, I thought I had seen that pic somewhere.

Good post, the tilt of the rear seat definitely helps, that overhang looks less than some SUV installs I have seen! That front legroom though..... usable in a pinch, but I stand by my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You will not likely find that.

Keep in mind you will need an infant seat and then a convertible, but the convertible sizes generally make the passenger seat absolutely worthless.

I have a britax system and the stroller / car seat combo is great. It fits fairly well......in an SUV. Doesn't come close to working with any usable passenger legroom in the brz.

Britax are widely regarded as one of the safest options. Good luck, but I found it much easier to just use a different car.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #255
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Ah cool.
..........not saying you don't have too.... but..... if you want too....
If you insist. She has good genes, this is at 36 after 4 births. She is an amazing person too.

ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-25-2018), HKz (11-05-2018), Mr.ac (10-25-2018), Tristor (10-29-2018), WolfpackS2k (10-29-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #256
motrek

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I figured that's what you were trying to do, seriously check the threads on what people put in, or have tried to put in that empty slot.
I still don't think you understand my idea. A phone tray would just have to be anchored in that cubby hole. So if the cubby can fit anything at all, it can fit enough plastic to anchor a tray that's outside of it.

Maybe something 3-D printed...
motrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #257
motrek

Quote:
You really can’t win around here. Any negative comment made about these cars turns into drama with people telling you to buy a Prius, Civic, Camry or Mustang. It happens to me weekly. You just have to get used to it.

Anyways, I also prefer to have my phone in an easy to reach location where I can see the screen for Waze. This was the cleanest and easiest solution I came up with. It’s a $10 magnetic mount. I use a case so the metal plate is stuck to the inside of the case. The phone doesn’t budge. If it wasn’t for this mount I probably would have sold the car and bought a Prius.
Haha.

That's a nice setup with the magnetic mount. I've seen those and I like them, except for one dumb thing. I also like wearing mechanical watches. Which are easily screwed up by these sorts of magnets. First world problems...
Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #258
ermax

Quote:
Haha.

That's a nice setup with the magnetic mount. I've seen those and I like them, except for one dumb thing. I also like wearing mechanical watches. Which are easily screwed up by these sorts of magnets. First world problems...
The magnet goes on the dash. The sticker that you put on the phone or in your case is just a thin piece of metal. So as long as you keep your watch away from the mount it should be fine.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #259
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I still don't think you understand my idea. A phone tray would just have to be anchored in that cubby hole. So if the cubby can fit anything at all, it can fit enough plastic to anchor a tray that's outside of it.

Maybe something 3-D printed...
Yeah, man.... not hard to understand your plan.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #260
motrek

Quote:
The magnet goes on the dash. The sticker that you put on the phone or in your case is just a thin piece of metal. So as long as you keep your watch away from the mount it should be fine.
Interesting. I know a couple people who have mounts like this and the stickers they have on their phones are also magnets. I assumed they were all like this, but maybe not...
Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #261
ermax

Quote:
Interesting. I know a couple people who have mounts like this and the stickers they have on their phones are also magnets. I assumed they were all like this, but maybe not...
I've actually never seen one that has magnet stickers.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #262
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Quote:
I like to have my phone in a place where I can conveniently see it so I can use it for turn-by-turn navigation with the sound turned off. My current car has a little cubby for coins or whatever in front of the shifter and my phone sits in there perfectly. The 86 doesn't have a similar cubby so it looks like I'll be shopping for a phone mount.
The base level 86 has a space in front of the shifter that's wide enough to hold a 5" GPS:

Base level BRZ should be similar. I think the real question is why one would want the nav screen down there. Example: If one's in a traffic jam in a downtown area with lots of one way streets, fixing one missed turn is going to cost big time. One probably wants to check the nav screen a lot. I personally much prefer mounting at eye level on the front window.

As for phone vs GPS, for me the biggest advantage of phone is more detailed traffic info. If you need more than high/major streets on GPS, getting one with cellphone traffic link can work. One advantage of GPS is they don't need phone signal to work, which can come in handy in some situations. Example: there are big patches of Canadian Rockies that have no phone signal and no lights. You got online and booked a motel in the middle of nowhere. Trying finding your way there with a cellphone in the middle of a rainy night.

Around here a lot of the limo service drivers run both GPS and phone at the same time. They seem to glance at traffic and talk to base on the phone but mostly use the GPS for routing.
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-29-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #263
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
IMO, the phone vs. in-car nav debate wont be a thing for much longer. Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play enabled head units will probably become standard on most cars.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #264
motrek

Quote:
I've actually never seen one that has magnet stickers.
Have you checked? My friends thought their stickers were just metal too. (BTW, there are cool apps, at least for the iPhone, that access the phone's compass to display the strength of the magnetic field around the phone... can be used to identify whether or not things are/have magnets, and how strong the magnets are.)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #265
motrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
The base level 86 has a space in front of the shifter that's wide enough to hold a 5" GPS:

Base level BRZ should be similar. I think the real question is why one would want the nav screen down there. Example: If one's in a traffic jam in a downtown area with lots of one way streets, fixing one missed turn is going to cost big time. One probably wants to check the nav screen a lot. I personally much prefer mounting at eye level on the front window.

As for phone vs GPS, for me the biggest advantage of phone is more detailed traffic info. If you need more than high/major streets on GPS, getting one with cellphone traffic link can work. One advantage of GPS is they don't need phone signal to work, which can come in handy in some situations. Example: there are big patches of Canadian Rockies that have no phone signal and no lights. You got online and booked a motel in the middle of nowhere. Trying finding your way there with a cellphone in the middle of a rainy night.

Around here a lot of the limo service drivers run both GPS and phone at the same time. They seem to glance at traffic and talk to base on the phone but mostly use the GPS for routing.
Thanks for the pic. I couldn't remember how big that space was from the test drive.

Agree re: traffic info. Even if an in-dash nav system gets traffic info from a cell network, I don't think it does as good a job routing around traffic as Waze. I almost always use Waze when driving, even for a 10 minute trip where I know exactly where I'm going, in order to avoid traffic.

As for the visibility of the phone when it's that low, yeah, that's where I have it in my car now and it's not optimal, but usually I only have to glance at the phone once in a while and only long enough to read the next instruction. If I'm driving somewhere tricky, I turn on the voice instructions so I can focus on driving and don't have to look at the phone at all.

As for offline access to maps, there are apps for phones that you can download from e.g. TomTom that give you the same exact offline functionality as a dedicated nav unit. Might be worth checking out if you find yourself driving in areas without cell coverage for any significant amount of time.

But even if a nav app relies on cell data, it will usually cache the route, so as long as you follow its directions, you'll still have nav. I've played the "zoom out and let's try to get back to the street it thinks we're supposed to be on" game a few times.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #266
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you insist. She has good genes, this is at 36 after 4 births. She is an amazing person too.

WTF IS THIS THING, GROSS