follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SMOG Issues

I'm a Cali resident, and having bought my car out of state, it is mandated that i have to pass a smog check before the registration can take effect on my vehicle. (yes even though it is on a MSO and is shown on the title as a California Emissions equipped vehicle)

So i take it to my friend 2 doors down that smogs all my personal and work vehicles, and go about my day.....several hours later he calls me to come get my car and says it barely passed, and man he wasn't kidding.

both the NOx readings and the HC's were within several points of failing, and I guess they had to run it several times to get it to pass...

Vehicle has the sound diverter removed as well as the resonator that hangs below the intake elbow, this shouldn't affect the metered airflow, but may have affected the direction the air follows as it passes the MAF sampling tube...having the MAF in a section so close to a bend is problematic in that way, if it were in a longer straight section of tubing it wouldn't be as sensitive to turbulence,

Anyone else had issues with a Cali Smog test?

Any other ideas?
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had to smog mine too since I bought from out of state. It passed with flying colors. The NOx and HC were well within normal.

I'd say put your intake back to stock and see if your buddy can do a test run. If you are running that dirty right now, your car is bound to be running poorer than it should be, and will certainly have emissions issues down the road.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
SkullWorks
Banned

Yeah...turns out that's not gonna happen,

I just fitted R35 GTR injectors (570cc) and we are tuning it on E-85 tonight...

Next week the turbo goes on and the front cat comes out anyway...
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
Yeah...turns out that's not gonna happen,

I just fitted R35 GTR injectors (570cc) and we are tuning it on E-85 tonight...

Next week the turbo goes on and the front cat comes out anyway...
LOL
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
domsawww

Drives: 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There are a couple threads about removing the "snorkel" on the stock setup and the adverse affects it has on the power. This could also be why you are getting high NOX readings and what not.
domsawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domsawww View Post
There are a couple threads about removing the "snorkel" on the stock setup and the adverse affects it has on the power. This could also be why you are getting high NOX readings and what not.
There is only 1 thread citing a loss of power from removal of the snorkel, the others just quote the primary dyno for it. Here's the kicker... it was a loss of 1 peak HP, and that's perfectly normal for variance. I've had fluctuations of 2-3 hp on various dyno runs without making any changes to the vehicle.

Please stop the loss of power on snorkel removal myth.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
I'd like to see more data on that as well. From what the guys at Airaid posted, with dyno charts, the removal of that front snorkel (inside the front bumper) acutally made additional power. Albeit it wasn't by very much.

If you have evidence otherwise I'd like to see it myself. Not because I own an Airaid intake, but simply out of curiosity. As if this is true, I may be inclined to put that snorkel back on.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
domsawww

Drives: 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As i dont know first hand about it i only know what i read. But it is doing something to the motor when it is removed. All i was saying is that it might be the reason he is getting a weak smog test. AKA no snorkel (could) give MAF a wierd reading wich in turn (could) be causing his smog issue. Thats all

domsawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
SkullWorks
Banned

I moonlight at a Dyno, had the BRZ on there before and after snorkel removal, no change in HP outside of normal variance, no noticable change in logged A/F ratio either,

HOWEVER...full throttle Dyno Runs (usually closed loop) and open loop emissions testing have very little to do with each other....