follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
mpdescha

Drives: 2008 Mazda6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the FR-S/BRZ for Me? (Newbie)

Hi all! My name is Mack. I'm 26 years old and I live in Cary, NC. While I currently drive a 2008 Mazda6 (5spd, I4) I am looking into getting a new car next year. Naturally, considering myself somewhat of a car enthusiast, I have been VERY interested in the FR-S/BRZ. I have a few questions for you guys in relation to whether or not this is the cars for me...

I kind of lucked into a great deal on my current car. I was originally looking for a Mazda3 when this popped up and I couldn't say no. I'm at the point in my life career now though where I want to buy a car that I truly love. For as much as Mazda's are hyped for their driving experience I rather quickly became bored of my Mazda6. The idea is that if I got one of the twins I would not get bored with it (hopefully).

Pros:
RWD!! I've never owned a RWD car so this is a HUGE bonus for me.
Basically this is a reliable, affordable sports car that is practical enough to be driven daily. I'm sure y'all know all of the plusses to owning this car so I won't go too far in depth.

Cons:
Space. I don't have kids but I do have an adult pitbull and am planning on adopting another in the near future. You guys (girls) with pets weigh in: Can I realistically tote around two adult pits in my car?
Other cons are road noise and most practicality related issues.

My other considerations for my next car are the new Mazda3 and the new Golf diesel. My worry there is that like my current car I will eventually become bored of those cars (fwd, not sporty enough etc) and be paying on something I don't want anymore. I'm not one to trade a car in every two years so I am trying to make the correct decision the first go round here.

Sorry if this has all been a bit scatter brained . I'm kind of driving myself crazy trying to make the right decision! I hope you guys who have experience with the car can weigh in on it for me. Thanks!

-Mack
mpdescha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You will love the car. Now I can't say about the pet, because I don't have pets. But the car will put a smile on your face everytime you drive. No comparison to a Mazda 6.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Have you driven a BRZ/FR-S? Honestly, wait until the new Mustang, Golf, Mazda Speed3, etc are out and then drive them along with the Genesis Coupe, Focus ST, etc. I suspect a test drive will answer your questions. If you put the backseats down in the FRZ, there is a good amount of space in the back, but not sure if it is enough for 1-2 large dogs.

That said, so far, IMHO there is not another pure drivers car out there (new) in the sub $30K range that can touch the BRZ/FR-FRS. You would have to go used to find something superior, or you would have to spend a lot more.

New Golf is getting good reviews in Europe and the new Mustang could be interesting since they are reducing weight and improving the suspension. New Mazdaspeed 3 should also be out. For practicality, a hatchback would be hard to beat, but at the same time, I would be reluctant to buy a first model year VW anything again...

It is a good time to be an enthusiast
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
itisthumper

Drives: WRB BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What are you looking for in a car? Start with a list, prioritize it, and post it here. This will help us determine if it is the right car for you.
itisthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Two camps. One thinks this car is the bomb despite some issues, every one of which gets beaten to death here. The other hates this car for the very same issues. Up to you. Two pit bulls will tear up the interior of this car in short order.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah the two adult pit bulls is the reason I'd steer you to another car, probably a hatchback. If you're worried about getting bored, go with the Focus ST. That should keep you entertained.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah the two adult pit bulls is the reason I'd steer you to another car, probably a hatchback. If you're worried about getting bored, go with the Focus ST. That should keep you entertained.
Definitely agree here. I have a 30lb Beagle and I bought the car planning to throw him in the back all the time. But it is so small and such a pain for him to get back there that I almost never take him in my car. The plastic in the car also scratches super super super super easily so I worry about his claws. I think the Focus ST is a perfect fit for someone looking for performance but also practicality.

(Anyone else agree about the plastic in the car? I can lightly run my fingernail across is and it will scratch permanently)
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Two big dogs... forget it! Not in the FRS. I'd be looking at another car for sure. I'd go for a wagon type to be honest. The new 2014 Mazda3 is looking incredibly hot. I'd scoop one of those if I was in your position. Or if you're looking used, an STi hatchback is great for your needs. Good space.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
mpdescha

Thanks for the responses!

Honestly my main priorities are a fun to drive car that I will not get bored of after a year or two. I'd put that at the top of the list. Practicality and comfort also rate pretty high but if forced to chose I would chose fun. I hate to be an elitist but I also value RWD over FWD. I know that the golf & 3 are supposed to be good cars to drive, but I just can't see staying excited with them year after year. Is there any comparison?

I actually did get the chance to test drive an FR-S but I'm going to have to go again soon. The car salesman came with me and spent the entire ride talking about financing and then trying to show me how to work the radio. Needless to say I had some difficulty focusing haha. From what I can recall, I LOVED the steering and the car didn't feel wanting in terms of power. I didn't get a chance to fling it around any corners, unfortunately. I drove it on the highway briefly and it felt a bit jittery but not uncomfortable. I'd love to find a dealership that'll let me take one out on my own for 10 minutes and evaluate without a salesman breathing down my neck the entire time!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdescha View Post
Thanks for the responses!

Honestly my main priorities are a fun to drive car that I will not get bored of after a year or two. I'd put that at the top of the list. Practicality and comfort also rate pretty high but if forced to chose I would chose fun. I hate to be an elitist but I also value RWD over FWD. I know that the golf & 3 are supposed to be good cars to drive, but I just can't see staying excited with them year after year. Is there any comparison?

I actually did get the chance to test drive an FR-S but I'm going to have to go again soon. The car salesman came with me and spent the entire ride talking about financing and then trying to show me how to work the radio. Needless to say I had some difficulty focusing haha. From what I can recall, I LOVED the steering and the car didn't feel wanting in terms of power. I didn't get a chance to fling it around any corners, unfortunately. I drove it on the highway briefly and it felt a bit jittery but not uncomfortable. I'd love to find a dealership that'll let me take one out on my own for 10 minutes and evaluate without a salesman breathing down my neck the entire time!
I don't think that's gonna happen. Due to the nature of the car, there has to be a sales person present at the time of the test drive. I know that's what the policy was when I went for one. I can see why though...

But my salesman was the bomb and he actually took me to an empty parking lot to hoon around in haha. Great guy and I knew right away after that test drive that I needed to have this car.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
mpdescha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Definitely agree here. I have a 30lb Beagle and I bought the car planning to throw him in the back all the time. But it is so small and such a pain for him to get back there that I almost never take him in my car. The plastic in the car also scratches super super super super easily so I worry about his claws. I think the Focus ST is a perfect fit for someone looking for performance but also practicality.

(Anyone else agree about the plastic in the car? I can lightly run my fingernail across is and it will scratch permanently)

Crap, this is disheartening. Zoey is just shy of 50lbs and I was figuring I could sit her in the front and throw her brother in the back . I don't drive everywhere with my dogs (in fact I try to minimize it in case of an accident) but I do take her to the dog park and various trails fairly frequently. Practicality be damned!!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdescha View Post
I drove it on the highway briefly and it felt a bit jittery but not uncomfortable.
A good portion of the jitter (if you mean side to side jitter) comes from those 215 stock tires -- especially if you drive anywhere with those little rain/snow grooves in the freeway. Going up to 225 or going stickier rubber helps a ton with that. Your up-down jitter comes from that slightly stiffer suspension you're not quite used to after driving the Mazda 6. You'll hardly notice it after a month or two of ownership.

I'm with everyone else: a hatch (especially the Focus ST) seems like the right choice for you even though our RWD is attractive for sure. The dogs won't be comfortable in the FR-S/BRZ. They may not even fit at all

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
mpdescha

Why can't someone just make a damn RWD affordable hatchback? Is that too much to ask?? /sarcasm
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
mpdescha

Well if it makes a difference, it won't be the only car of the household. My bf has a Nissan Altima so that's always there for the long trips with both dogs and everything.