follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

View Poll Results: Would you buy a GR86 Cup without drivetrain?
Hell yeah if price is $30-40K USD 4 36.36%
Nope. Build a car myself!!! 6 54.55%
Hell yeah even if it is $50k 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't Body in white aka cars with no VIN # basically get dumped into unlimited in any series like Gridlife, etc. So, if you want to run Gridlife, probably need to start with a normal car.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #16
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Quite frankly, if Toyota cared about grassroots enthusiasts they'd have the equivalent of what Mazda has with Mazda Motorsports contingency and part pricing. Honda does some nice perks with HPD, but not to the level that Mazda does.
You are aware the Toyota provides MUCH better contingency than most makes, right? for the typical classes an 86 would run in SCCA, here's the payouts for a race win:

SCCA Majors program:
Toyota: $400, 2 starters minimum, no reduction in payout.
Mazda: $600, 4 starters min or reduced payout, scaled by # of cars.
Nissan: $550, 5 starters required. 50% reduction in payout with 4 or fewer in class

No other Mfr offers contingency for their cars in a class that an 86 would compete in (STU, STL, T3, T4). Ford offers support only in T1, T2, T3, AS, FF, and SRF3. The 86 is only eligible for T3.
Mini and Honda have both dropped stopped grassroots support entirely in the last few years, and the rest of the Mfrs I've not seen support club level racing in the last 15 years.

___
Regional Club Racing:
Toyota: $300 PER RACE for a win, 2 starters minimum.
Mazda: $500-750 for a regional points championship. Payouts down to 5th with various amounts depending on # of races and racers

No other Mfr offers contingency at the regional level. Therefore, I conclude the Toyota truly offers the BEST grassroots support since they offer payouts per race even at a regional level of competition. NO OTHER MFR does that, not even Mazda.

Source: https://www.scca.com/pages/main-contingency

Toyota's parts program is also decent--- find your price from your chosen dealer- in person or online, then buy the parts and send a copy of the receipt to Toyota; they reimburse you 10%.

Nissan Motorsports catalog offerings are a joke of shift knobs, floormats, stickers, and a few other baubles and bolt-ons. They USED to have an excellent parts program very similar to Mazda, but that went away about 15 years ago.

I will say that Mazda's parts program is amazing. They offer OEM parts at roughly 35% off and aftermarket race-spec stuff (carbotech and hawk race brake pads Tilton clutches, penske shocks, etc) straight off their Motorsports website at great prices. I see no other manufacturer that supports grassroots racing like they do.

So on a national event level, Toyota is a close second in support and contingency behind Mazda, with Nissan 3rd and the rest FAR behind.
On a regional level, Toyota beats everyone, hands-down.

Signed,
A former Nissan & Mazda racer, now flogging a Toyota and loving the support!
Attached Images

Last edited by Matt93SE; 07-07-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-08-2022), RT-BRZ (07-09-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #17
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,214 Times in 517 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
You are aware the Toyota provides MUCH better contingency than most makes, right?

Signed,
A former Nissan & Mazda racer, now flogging a Toyota and loving the support!
I live in a NASA area with no SCCA presence, unfortunately Toyota provides zero contingency through NASA unless I'm missing something. Mazda, Ford, and Nissan pay out to various degrees, but it isn't as generous as what you listed there for the regional $300/race Toyota has. The tie-in that Mazda and Toyo have is pretty nice though.

The Mazda Motosports part pricing is a gem, that is for sure. I was super happy with their pricing and their shipping costs for large things like quarter panels were insanely cheap.

Do you have a link to this Toyota 10% part discount thing you mentioned, or is that a SCCA perk?
Old 07-08-2022, 11:12 PM   #18
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I live in a NASA area with no SCCA presence, unfortunately Toyota provides zero contingency through NASA unless I'm missing something. Mazda, Ford, and Nissan pay out to various degrees, but it isn't as generous as what you listed there for the regional $300/race Toyota has. The tie-in that Mazda and Toyo have is pretty nice though.

The Mazda Motosports part pricing is a gem, that is for sure. I was super happy with their pricing and their shipping costs for large things like quarter panels were insanely cheap.

Do you have a link to this Toyota 10% part discount thing you mentioned, or is that a SCCA perk?
SCCA is fairly strong here as well as NASA, but unfortunately there's not a lot of cars in my class on a regular basis. next season I plan to travel a little and try to get to some other tracks in the south, but that depends on fuel prices. it was painful this season with $5/gal diesel for the tow beast. It was costing me over $1000 a weekend just in fuel to get to tracks within TX!!
That said, I'm a huge fan of "if you built it, they will come". Chaps me arse when people don't enter races until they see someone else enter... then show up to the track on the weekend without their car and complain that there's nobody entered. One weekend I heard the same excuse from FIVE people that race in my class.. "well I was waiting to see if someone else would enter before I did. I didn't want to show up by myself."
Well dumbass, if you'd have entered, someone else would have seen it and entered as well!

Regarding the parts info and whatnot, it's got the information within the SCCA contingency packet.

https://www.scca.com/pages/main-contingency
--->
https://www.scca.com/downloads/59820...-scca/download

I notice the box on the contingency signup form next to sanctioning body has a big fat blank on it. you might just try contacting Mike @ Toyota and ask if they offer anything for NASA. I would say there's more Toyotas in NASA than SCCA, so it certainly can't hurt to ask!
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (07-09-2022)