follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the knowledgeable information guys, was going to pull the trigger on these lights along with blinker and trunk lights.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodayguy View Post
I think you mean omni-directional. It just sprays the light everywhere (but not vertically as I can tell), I see what you mean. Again, second night driving with these and no complaints (people veering away, blinking at me, etc). I kinda expect the cops to pull me over at some point, though, and ask what the hell they are.
Considering all the issues I read about HID setups I really wanted to avoid doing that and this is an interesting option. I understand if Diode Dynamics doesn't like it and I respect your guys' knowledge.
I am most worried about the bulbs' lifespan.
I am referring to the output of the LED bulb itself- it is extremely directional compared to a filament or even an HID arc- the light goes primarily in one direction. The problem is that it does not spray the light evenly in all directions, so that it can then be directed properly be the projector. You end up with a lot of light lost and not directed properly.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Rio (08-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
You can see in your picture that the halogen hotspot is much more focused.

Yes, LED focus is much worse than even HID. We cannot recommend any LED replacements for low beam or high beams, the light is just too directional.

but...you did recommend led replacements for my high beam location.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
but...you did recommend led replacements for my high beam location.
High beams are not your primarily source of lighting for night time driving, and aren't used nearly as much as your low-beams

Nick C.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
High beams are not your primarily source of lighting for night time driving, and aren't used nearly as much as your low-beams

Nick C.

I understand that. but you just said..."for either low or high beam". so, should I not order them for my high beam? or do you recommend them for high beam replacements...
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Enlight

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You can see in your picture that the halogen hotspot is much more focused.

Yes, LED focus is much worse than even HID. We cannot recommend any LED replacements for low beam or high beams, the light is just too directional.
As a fellow sponsor, I will agree with the guys from Diode Dynamics. When LED headlights first started to hit the market, I tested many different versions, but due to the designs the optics are just terrible. As of now there are NO LED HEADLIGHTS that I have found suitable for street use.

People don't understand (nor do most of the designers of these things), you can not just stick a giant powerful LED into a housing and call it a headlight. The housings are designed for the emission pattern from a precisely located halogen coil filament, not a big honking LED.

The radiation pattern from a good HID bulbs is MUCH MUCH closer to that of a halogen filament compared to any of these supposed LED headlights on the market.

I am in the process of designing a PROPER LED headlight system, and me deeming such a task as difficult is an understatement. Not only the optics challenge, but the thermal issue is another major hurdle. These places clamming 2000+ lumens from their LED headlights are on crack. They will not last. Even so, most of them have temperature dependent current settings where they are running at lower power as they heat up. You might get 2000lm for the first 60 seconds of operation.
Enlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enlight For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (01-29-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
I understand that. but you just said..."for either low or high beam". so, should I not order them for my high beam? or do you recommend them for high beam replacements...

Maybe they were referring to using LED's for your DRLs? Since they are in the same part of the headlight.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
STS-V
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Every single sponsor/vendor on the site says NO LED IN HEADLIGHT. How could you possibly have any doubt?
STS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STS-V For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (01-29-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #23
Enlight

We should specifically low beam headlights. They are not suitable for low beam use. However, they are more suitable for high beam function only. This is because for high beam, the housing and un-capped stock halogen really does send light everywhere, well above a low beam cutoff. The optics still suck, but since high beams have a much less-defined and focused beam pattern, the effect is not as significant.

But for the FRS, the DRL and high beam are the same bulb, so with one of these "led headlight" systems, your DRLs would be way too bright for regular use and you would be blinding people all the time. I have not seen any 9005 LEDs that have dual brightness states. Low power for DRL and high power for high beam is needed for proper function.

Last edited by Enlight; 07-17-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodayguy View Post
I am pairing it with halogen fog lights - there's no shortage of light for me at least. On their own with just LED, I agree I would be concerned. Great info here, thanks everyone!

Fog lights don't project light far enough to be of any use over 30mph, so it's NOT safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS-V View Post
Every single sponsor/vendor on the site says NO LED IN HEADLIGHT. How could you possibly have any doubt?

Well, they could be a bit biased...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You want LED headlights.. you need to get headlights that are designed to be.. well LED headlights.. Few sets are out there.. but the goal is to be Retrofitting these into a FRS housing in the future...

going to be alot of work to make it look good.. but i love the looks of the light, DRL feature and out put is pretty good.. as good as my retrofit i have now? im not sure.. but no one else will have these lights lol

Thomas
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #26
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Maybe they were referring to using LED's for your DRLs? Since they are in the same part of the headlight.
Correct- we do not sell LED bulb specifically as high beam replacements (or low beam). When customers ask about switching their DRLs, we inform them that they will lose the effective high beam function.

From the description in our DRL LED product listing:
Quote:
Please note: LED DRLs are for cosmetic purposes only. The bulbs will turn on as high beams, but they will not project like your factory high beam. Essentially, you will lose your high beam functionality. This is the case with all LED DRL replacements, not just Diode Dynamics.
I'm sorry if this was not clearly conveyed to you at the time of purchase. We'd be happy to grant return for full refund if you feel you were misled, and we offer our sincere apology.

Thanks,
Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Well, they could be a bit biased...
Biased towards not selling another product and increasing our sales? Anyone who is selling them would probably be biased...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlight View Post
We should specifically low beam headlights. They are not suitable for low beam use. However, they are more suitable for high beam function only. This is because for high beam, the housing and un-capped stock halogen really does send light everywhere, well above a low beam cutoff.
The compliance tests for high beam output are just as specific as low beams in terms of where the light shines, and how brightly. Your high beam is not just sending light everywhere, it is still controlled in a specific manner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (07-18-2014), BabaYaga (01-29-2015)
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #28
Enlight

Indeed none of these systems will pass compliance testing.

Last I checked, the latest regulations say you can't legally have any light source in a housing that does not match the type of light source the housing it was designed for.

For example, you cannot put an HID bulb into a filament type housing. Or even a filament bulb into a HID housing.

Thus making all non- native conversions illegal for road use regardless whether it's LED or HID.

OEM retrofit is the only proper solution.