follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
DeOppressorLiber

Drives: FRS Full Blown Custom
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My exhaust is completely revamped from the manifold back with the HKS Legamax. I had a Borla header on it before the turbo set up and I really miss that sound! LOL

The Trypticon Transformation in Progress!
DeOppressorLiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
holy fuck shit!!! Dude this is awesome. So how exactly does the valve body make it shift faster and grab stronger? won't that cause faster wear and tear on the tranny or no? Do I need the higher stall TQ to install the valve body?

This looks so bad ass, what are they saying regarding pricing? Also I've seen pictures of burnt clutch packs? or what ever those gear things are, will I need to re-enforce any other parts if I put the valve body on?

Sorry for all the questions, really new to the AT.. Awesome to hear it can hold 500whp though!

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOppressorLiber View Post
I am only pushing 5.6 or .7 pounds of boost. Full Blown has verified the 500 whp on the trans. With these mods from SSP it would actually make the trans last longer because of the shifts. After you mentioned the "sport" mode earlier, I actually went out and drove it. I couldn't tell a difference with it on or off. It doesn't matter if you have a NA or turbo with these 2 particular mods. They will still perform the same. This stage 1 prototype I have would be as high as I would suggest for a DD because of how hard it does shift. The stage 2 prototype is almost ready and 2nd through 4th will be more aggressive and will be in my car for a second round of tests. The bog that you may have seen was due to me letting of the throttle due to traffic and a small vacuum leak @sspkris can answer your technical questions about the 4.88. This transmission is capable of alot more than what most people give it credit for.
You look like you are having entirely too much fun with your setup!
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #32
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
If you think that looks fun, you should ride in it with me not having to worry about hitting a camera with my head and looking around a camera at the speedometer while still trying to watch for traffic! I have a lot of fun in my little rocket, lol. Thank God it isn't my DD or my mortality rate would triple!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #33
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZPDX View Post
holy fuck shit!!! Dude this is awesome. So how exactly does the valve body make it shift faster and grab stronger? won't that cause faster wear and tear on the tranny or no? Do I need the higher stall TQ to install the valve body?

This looks so bad ass, what are they saying regarding pricing? Also I've seen pictures of burnt clutch packs? or what ever those gear things are, will I need to re-enforce any other parts if I put the valve body on?

Sorry for all the questions, really new to the AT.. Awesome to hear it can hold 500whp though!
If you think you are excited now, wait till you drive one with this setup. I don't want to get into the specifics of what was done to the VB. In race cars this is done. The trans last longer because there is no gear grinding, goes straight into gear jerking your smile to a smear and back again. Seriously! You don't need the higher stall TC to use the Valve Body. But If you are going to get the TC get the VB also. I got to drove the car a week with just the TC in before the VB arrived. You shouldn't have to add anything else if you do one of these or both. I highly recommend them as a combo, they go hand in hand but not necessary for just the VB. Im not sure if the prices for the VB has been set yet but it is on there site. The TC is ready and they have a couple ready. Heat is the number one enemy to a transmission. This is what started me on my quest to find a High Stall Torque Converter because I basically melted mine. They offer the best designed trans cooler I have ever seen. The guys at South Side work on high end sport cars and this is just a niche for them. Check out their website at sspperformance.com
Also, you can ask @sspkris any technical info. He is the engineer that I have been working with throughout the testing. He may point you to Tim. They are great guys and they do what they say they are gonna do. One thing I want to add to this is the core charge they charge if you buy a TC or VB. This is charged in case a customer does not return the one off their car for them to remanufacture. I personally could not believe at the amount of people that has done that to them and the money they have lost. This is why they charge a core charge. As soon as they receive your part, they will refund you the core charge. I know for a fact that they have 1 VB there that they got from me so if you want one, you better start calling! I bugged them for about 2 weeks about the TC and we have forged a great partnership. Hope this helps!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeOppressorLiber For This Useful Post:
Brianjoy77 (02-24-2014), BRZPDX (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #34
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow. That is awesome! Thanks for the vids!
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Can you do some test driving with it in sport mode and auto mode to see if all is "normal" besides the improved shift aggressiveness?
What I've noticed with sport mode...

-It doesn't try to downshift until you get higher in the rev range, like 5k+ OR, you're going easy on the throttle for an extended period.

-If you're hard on the throttle it shifts closer to the rev limit. If you're cruising along and give it throttle, it downshifts quickly just like you would in a manual.

-Under hard braking, it automatically downshifts to keep you in an optimal rev range to accelerate out of the corner.

-Manual mode has bump shifting if you're more comfortable with that. Probably what I'll try this summer during autocross because the paddles are awkward mid-turn.

-Shifting through the gears is about as fast or faster than me in my STI. Downshifting through multiple gears is slower because the auto has to bump through each gear in sequence. Keep it in sport mode while racing and you won't need to bump down multiple gears.

The only real downer of the Auto trans is the launch, but Liber seems to have solved that with his mods.

This was one of my first trips to autocross with my BRZ. When I can afford a supercharger and Liber's mods, I might be semi competitive because of the slow launch. I'm concerned I might damage my all stock drive train if I start left foot braking to launch the car.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarSyoSYA3c&list=PL7xXKGMAfAirOy22J-XzRsXWM15DQSmCa&feature=share&index=7"]Subaru BRZ AutoX My Fastest Run of the Day - YouTube[/ame]
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #36
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Garage
It's the only way I launch in auto cross. I haven't noticed anything to date wrong with the drive train.
I can sometimes launch fairly well if I hit just right. I do notice that by the end of the day I seem to have less performance as the trany fluid has increased in temp.
So trany cooler will be a must. Then that alone puts you in CSP, but then all of it sans FI puts you in that class.
Personally I CANNOT drive the car in auto, always in manual. ALWAYS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #37
DeOppressorLiber

Garage
I always drive in manual also. Left foot braking to launch is what caused me to get these 2 new mods. I literally melted my OEM torque converter. So I started a thread on here about aftermarket ones, and of course the ignorance was abundant in the responses. A lead from a member pointed me to South Side Performance and that started my relationship with them. In rhe videos I am left foot braking the launches. The High Stall Torque Converter builds to full boost at 3k which is the new stall. The Valve Body is what makes it shift harder thus making the times faster! As for tranny mods....the High Stall Torque Converter, Valve Body and trans cooler from South Side Performance is all you will need to be one super happy guy! Heat is the enemy to any transmission, so for racing of any kind the cooler is imperative to its performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeOppressorLiber For This Useful Post:
soulever (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #38
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Garage
Ya I can see my mod path opening up before me. Full CS build incl high end coilovers. It's my daily driver. Then a straight jump to CSP due to the AT mods.
This because I too am starting to left foot brake. So it will happen to me also. Not as fast as I am NA. My last hurrah before I get really old and cranky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #39
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm actually quite impressed with the 6AT in the FR-S/BRZ. I drove a MKV GTI with DSG for 6 years before I bought my FR-S and the FR-S tranny can definitely hold it's own against a DSG. Yes, it does shift slightly (and I do mean slightly) slower than a DSG and the Sport mode isn't as aggressive as it was in my GTI but it is very responsive and shifts faster than any other conventional automatic transmission I've encountered. The DSG is also notorious for not downshifting to the proper gear. I remember dozens of occasions where I would be getting on the freeway and I would give the car nearly full throttle and the transmission could not seem to find the right gear. I haven't encountered any of those problems with my FR-S. Very happy with the 6AT in the FR-S thus far.
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #40
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
saw ur video yesterday DeOppressorLiber
i was wondering about SSP and they are actually local to me

i know where to take my car to when its time to upgrade the engine
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #41
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
@DeOppressorLiber how did you melt your torque converter? Just doing too many launches? The first thing I did when I went FI was put a tranny cooler (Not the one from SSP) but a decent one that is a size of a regular oil cooler. I already have a redline high performance AT fluid. What AT fluid does SSP recommend for FI applications? I'm just a bit worried about this TQ converter melting, although I don't do much launches and my shitty tires (Hankook V12) will just break traction so easily. I'm scared to get good tires that hook up too much with the rear axle CV joints that seem to explode on cars that are lowered.

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #42
hexonracing

Drives: FR-S HEXON RR350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@DeOppressorLiber
Did you have the torque converter mod before the turbo kit or after ? Does that require any other special ecu tuning after installing the new torque converter ?

i'm very interested at doing on my turbo BRZ.
hexonracing is offline   Reply With Quote