follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #57
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Blizzacks on some 16s waiting to go on, this weekend actually.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #58
White&Nerdy

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Bring it on!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416421659.569390.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  313.6 KB

205/50/17 Hankook I-Pikes on Plastidipped stock wheels (gold, of course) and RA mudflaps. I'm ready.

I've won a few ice time trial trophies in the Miatas I've had, and those didn't even have ABS or other electronic nannies. I'm sure the BRZ and I will be fine.
White&Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White&Nerdy For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #59
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White&Nerdy View Post
I've won a few ice time trial trophies in the Miatas I've had, and those didn't even have ABS or other electronic nannies. I'm sure the BRZ and I will be fine.
Indeed, Miatas and BRZs all have that light weight advantage. Everyone seems to think that means they will be useless I'm the snow, when in reality it just means they don't have any inertia to fight against, which means going, stopping, and turning is a piece of cake!

As someone who has snow drifted everything from a PowerWheels to a 25 ton transit bus, I can tell you LESS weight definitely has its advantages, lol.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #60
White&Nerdy

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Indeed, Miatas and BRZs all have that light weight advantage. Everyone seems to think that means they will be useless I'm the snow, when in reality it just means they don't have any inertia to fight against, which means going, stopping, and turning is a piece of cake!

As someone who has snow drifted everything from a PowerWheels to a 25 ton transit bus, I can tell you LESS weight definitely has its advantages, lol.

My previous car was a P71 - Ford Crown Vic ex-cop car. RWD with a posi and 4 snow tires. No problem! Some say to throw extra weight in the trunk but I never have. The car's excellent weight distribution benefits snow handling as well. The only time extra weight is needed is if you have trouble accelerating, which is usually only if you have bad tires, an open diff, or a 2wd pickup.
White&Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White&Nerdy For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #61
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
At the end of the day, any vehicle is ok in the snow if you know what the hell you're doing. I just get tired of the people who say that a light car won't do well in the snow. Sure if we're talking about deep snow, yes, but if we're talking about just driving around on slippery roads, it's fine so long as you use the low weight to your advantage. Likewise, a heavy vehicle can be fun too! I'll tell you nothing is more fun than putting your foot to the floor and drifting a 40' bus around a snow covered turn at a 30-degree angle, lol. Though it is definitely a different experience because a.) the vehicle rotates behind you and b) you can feel the sheer mass, so once it starts sliding it doesn't feel like it will ever stop, lol.

At the end of the day, though, my BRZ will do better than a bus in the snow, and that's mostly because it weighs LESS, not MORE.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #62
FT86WI

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did you order these from Tire Rack? I called in to order a set today because the website shows them sold out, and the rep told me that they had the back orders coming in next week Wednesday. He said they had 8 extra from cancelled orders, so I ordered a set.

If you did order them from Tire Rack, let me know and I'll tell you when I receive shipment confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidus View Post
I ordered a cheap set of rims MSW Type 85 and some WS80. The rims are what is holding it up, initial a two week delay didn't' seem like a big deal. Then the second two week day, I was like oh well I will have them before thanksgiving so no biggie. Now this and I just so pissed I might just go pay local retail pricing so I can have winter tires before traveling for thanksgiving.

edit: smilies
FT86WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #63
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
realized how bad my all seasons were today

T/C works very well though, I was surprised. Can't wait to see how the winter tires do.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #64
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86WI View Post
Did you order these from Tire Rack? I called in to order a set today because the website shows them sold out, and the rep told me that they had the back orders coming in next week Wednesday. He said they had 8 extra from cancelled orders, so I ordered a set.

If you did order them from Tire Rack, let me know and I'll tell you when I receive shipment confirmation.
I ordered them from TireRack on Oct 16. Then they got back ordered to 11/7. Then they got back ordered to 11/19. Then today I found out they got back ordered until 11/27.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #65
AdamYYZ

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-Tech Lightning Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My 2014 BRZ is on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70s I got this summer on sale. I just put them on just in time on Tuesday. We got our first proper storm today. The car was really fun to drive on these tires in the snow. No drama, very predictable. No need to fear turning the driving aides off.
AdamYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #66
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm diggin' the Conti EWC's I got so far. Unfortunately I've only had wet and dry roads so far but they corner and brake SO much better on cold roads than the stock rubber did and they soften the ride nicely too.

If you're having trouble getting wheels keep in mind that most stock Subaru wheels from the last 20 years fit fine. Some have a slightly different offset so you'll have a bit more tuck or poke but not so much that you shouldn't consider them. Even the 16's from the older WRX's fit over the brakes and 16" tires are cheaper. I used the wheels from my 06 Outback.
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #67
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Has anyone tried Hakkas? Since I left Denver, I don't get to play in the snow anymore... never got to try them.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #68
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamYYZ View Post
My 2014 BRZ is on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70s I got this summer on sale. I just put them on just in time on Tuesday. We got our first proper storm today. The car was really fun to drive on these tires in the snow. No drama, very predictable. No need to fear turning the driving aides off.
True....but for safety's sake, leave them on, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #69
oldlostcory

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question for you guys who drove last year in some deeper snow. Is there any concern of the bumper being pulled off or cracked from driving in deep stuff? I see pictures of other cars, wrxs and what not that have their front bumper packed with snow. How does our bumpers hold up?
oldlostcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #70
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlostcory View Post
Question for you guys who drove last year in some deeper snow. Is there any concern of the bumper being pulled off or cracked from driving in deep stuff? I see pictures of other cars, wrxs and what not that have their front bumper packed with snow. How does our bumpers hold up?
Use your head and gut when judging what to drive through. Soft/light snow won't cause an issue, but after a freeze/thaw cycle, there may be things hidden under that layer of fluffy white stuff that you can't see. My general rule of thumb is that if I don't have to drive through it, I don't, though I admit to a few late-night parking lot escapades.

Heavy (wet) snow will give more resistance, but again shouldn't cause an issue unless you drive through it at speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
oldlostcory (11-20-2014)