follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
Canuck

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice | Winter Tires or All Weathers

Hello all! I just recently bought a 2017 BRZ and this is my first post of this forum. I wanted to get some advice on winter tires for the car from people with experience driving these in the winter. I have read a few threads including the master winter tire list, which was helpful at finding options.

I'm in a weird situation where the BRZ is likely to see only one proper Canadian winter before I am moving to the west coast where it will mostly see rain and slightly above freezing temps. I'm willing to spend the money to get the proper shoes, I just want to make sure I'm spending it wisely. Would it make sense to still get the winters or would all-weathers suffice for the season? I have summer tires for it as well, but I'm debating on going to a single tire because they are difficult for me to store. The Nokians and Firestone seem to behave like a performance winter (probably not the same feel though).

Winter Tire Options
1. Continental WinterContact SI Plus (Canadian Tire Exclusive)
2. General Altimax Arctic 12
3. Nexen Winguard Sport 2

All-Weather Tires
1. Nokian WR-G4
2. Nordman Solstice (Kal Tire Exclusive by the looks)
3. Firestone Weathergrip
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Where on the west coast are you moving? I would definitely recommend performance winters if all you will see is cold temperatures and light snow. I have a set of michelin pilot alpins that are super grippy in cold weather. If you still want to have fun with the car in the winter I can not recommend them enough.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I'm in a weird situation where the BRZ is likely to see only one proper Canadian winter before I am moving to the west coast where it will mostly see rain and slightly above freezing temps.
Well I see two purchases in your future. One is a discounted set of snows manufactured a year or two ago to take you through this winter. The other is a set of tires to match your new needs when you move.

All the winters you listed are fine entries. If I had to choose, probably Arctic 12s, but at the same price point as those you could run Blizzak WS80s (Found for $130 on Amazon and Walmart) for two seasons. Both will have some used value, so it really comes down to whether you're willing to accept the slightly shortened lifespan of the rubber on the WS80, and once you move even a 50% WS80 with the specialty tread gone can be useful in low temps so you can run a dedicated summer set.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The general altimax get my vote. Buy once, buy right. If you go off the road because you thought you could "get through" just once and total the car, you won't be driving it to the west coast at all
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (11-17-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
Where on the west coast are you moving? I would definitely recommend performance winters if all you will see is cold temperatures and light snow. I have a set of michelin pilot alpins that are super grippy in cold weather. If you still want to have fun with the car in the winter I can not recommend them enough.
Vancouver region. I was also thinking of maybe going this route with the Winguards. Although I do drive in snow now, the city is pretty good at clearing it and I find I'm driving on mostly dry and wet pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Well I see two purchases in your future. One is a discounted set of snows manufactured a year or two ago to take you through this winter. The other is a set of tires to match your new needs when you move.

All the winters you listed are fine entries. If I had to choose, probably Arctic 12s, but at the same price point as those you could run Blizzak WS80s (Found for $130 on Amazon and Walmart) for two seasons. Both will have some used value, so it really comes down to whether you're willing to accept the slightly shortened lifespan of the rubber on the WS80, and once you move even a 50% WS80 with the specialty tread gone can be useful in low temps so you can run a dedicated summer set.
That's not a bad idea, I was thinking something similar. Unfortunately here in Canada the WS80s/90s tend to be $200 a tire while the Arctics are $160 (I can get the SI for $170). The car technically has a set of the Blizzaks already, but the center tread of the tire is practically gone and since this is my first RWD in the winter I don't think I should run them. I've used the Nexen Winguards for almost 10 years and have been happy with them for the price, but those were on light FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The general altimax get my vote. Buy once, buy right. If you go off the road because you thought you could "get through" just once and total the car, you won't be driving it to the west coast at all
Yeah that is where I was leaning, as much as it kinda sucks to have to spend the money for a set I would rather do that and make it through the winter. An extra $1000 is better than replacing the car, and I could probably use them out west anyway.

-------

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'd still like to get some feedback but I think I should lean on getting a proper winters, just need to decide which.

Also a thought that hadn't crossed my mind is I could use my previous vehicle with the Nokian WRG4s for most of the winter. I was focused on selling it and hadn't considered waiting until the spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
That's not a bad idea, I was thinking something similar. Unfortunately here in Canada the WS80s/90s tend to be $200 a tire while the Arctics are $160 (I can get the SI for $170). The car technically has a set of the Blizzaks already, but the center tread of the tire is practically gone and since this is my first RWD in the winter I don't think I should run them.
That's unfortunate, any new WS80s are at a minimum two years old since production of WS90s was for the 2018-2019 winter. They should be on heavy discount since the rubber compounds degrade over time. This was a big reason I went with 16" tires for winters. It's a lot harder to make this call when tires are pushing $900+ after mounting and balancing vs ~$600.

Either way, a dedicated snow gets my vote, even if it's used or mid-tier. If the border weren't closed I'd say drive down on the used ones and get them replaced for cheap, no one would think you need to declare the tires you're driving on!
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Vancouver region. I was also thinking of maybe going this route with the Winguards. Although I do drive in snow now, the city is pretty good at clearing it and I find I'm driving on mostly dry and wet pavement.
The nice thing about having good cold weather tires is being able to have aggressive summers. Even living in Vegas, I still have my set of winters so I can go see family elsewhere in the winter months.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
The nice thing about having good cold weather tires is being able to have aggressive summers. Even living in Vegas, I still have my set of winters so I can go see family elsewhere in the winter months.
This is so true. You could do summers with all seasons, I have in the past, but I would do snows. Love my contis but the generals are good as well.

If you need to be out in snow even one day the snows are worth it.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If you are seeing proper snow I wouldn't feel comfortable on anything other than a winter tire.
Dropping to a 16" wheel lowers tire cost and adds some sidewall which helps with potholes etc. 205/55 is a common size.

If you are price conscious 4tires.ca is worth a look. the arctic 12 in 205/55 fitment is $119.5 a tire.

I ended up ordering from them and saved $100+ over CT and other suppliers. I got the vikingcontact7 which replace the winter contact Si(CT seem to have bought rights to continue to sell it). $609 shipped($143 per tire).
My girlfriend just bought a new car and noticed the price went up slightly. Paid $640($149 a tire) shipped for the same tire and fitment.

Last edited by RToyo86; 10-26-2020 at 01:29 PM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Autoenthusiastasm

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - stock
Look for some used tires posted either on line or Craig’s list equivalent. Can get with wheels at a discount,
Autoenthusiastasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
For one winter even the cheapest of cheap snow tires will be an improvement over the best of the best all seasons depending on the actual conditions and your specific needs.
How far do you drive in the winter? Mostly city or highway? Where exactly are you now? Does it get really cold with soft snow or relatively warm with thick sloppy stuff?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
For one winter even the cheapest of cheap snow tires will be an improvement over the best of the best all seasons depending on the actual conditions and your specific needs.
How far do you drive in the winter? Mostly city or highway? Where exactly are you now? Does it get really cold with soft snow or relatively warm with thick sloppy stuff?
Mostly in the city and occasional highway, very rarely through Northern Ontario. Kinda of a mix of soft snow and thick snow depending on temperatures. Heart of winter is really cold at times. I work from home now because of Covid so I can pick my battles, but I may need the tires for the move.

I tried looking used, but most of what I found were either too much and I may as well go new, or the tread was so bad it would defeat the purpose, though I am still looking.

I'm leaning towards a set of Winguards, they are good value and quality all things considered.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mostly in the city and occasional highway, very rarely through Northern Ontario. Kinda of a mix of soft snow and thick snow depending on temperatures. Heart of winter is really cold at times. I work from home now because of Covid so I can pick my battles, but I may need the tires for the move.

I tried looking used, but most of what I found were either too much and I may as well go new, or the tread was so bad it would defeat the purpose, though I am still looking.

I'm leaning towards a set of Winguards, they are good value and quality all things considered.
These are what I run on steel wheels. More than suitable and reasonably priced. They usually are on sale right about now as well. Although any of the lesser priced snows will do you just fine.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...w.ds#store=208
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
holeeray

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
These are what I run on steel wheels. More than suitable and reasonably priced. They usually are on sale right about now as well. Although any of the lesser priced snows will do you just fine.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...w.ds#store=208

I'm considering the Arctic 12s. Any particular issues driving in the level of snow you have in that photo? It'll rarely snow like that around me, but we do get the occasional winter storm.