follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
Raven_frs303

Drives: 2014 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Frs transmission resistance in neutral

Hi everyone,

So i’ve been having some troubles with my transmission recently my car has 111,000 miles on it and and replaced the clutch 10k miles ago. I just changed the fluid to motul 300 about 2k miles ago because my fourth gear started to grind and after driving my car for about 30 minutes on the highway cruising in 6th gear it always has some resistance after coming out of 6th gear in neutral it’s almost like it has to push though 2 walls to push the shifter over to the left and sometimes it just locks me to the right and i have to put it in 5th to get it to be freed up again. The issue only became apparent about 3k miles ago. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong and could share some knowledge that would be great!

here’s a video showing what’s happening after i got off the highway driving for 40 minutes: https://youtube.com/shorts/4BAVc1UlFQM?feature=share
Raven_frs303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If it's 1st gear/reverse hard to get into gear, often issue is in adjustment of reverse detent plate.
If it's 2nd during first 5mins, when gearbox is cold .. it's rather common trait of twins gearbox.
If it's other gears .. yes, often slight clutch drag might be culprit. Even more possible case seems due your mentioned clutch replacement. Find thread/or youtube vids on clutch pedal travel adjustment mod .. just do it in reverse, dial some dead travel back in, to ensure clutch really-really gets completely disengaged when one pressed pedal. Some mentioned common clutch drag issues with some aftermarket clutches though (wasn't it about ACT?). Your replacement clutch was stock or Exedy?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Raven_frs303

Drives: 2014 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
If it's 1st gear/reverse hard to get into gear, often issue is in adjustment of reverse detent plate.
If it's 2nd during first 5mins, when gearbox is cold .. it's rather common trait of twins gearbox.
If it's other gears .. yes, often slight clutch drag might be culprit. Even more possible case seems due your mentioned clutch replacement. Find thread/or youtube vids on clutch pedal travel adjustment mod .. just do it in reverse, dial some dead travel back in, to ensure clutch really-really gets completely disengaged when one pressed pedal. Some mentioned common clutch drag issues with some aftermarket clutches though (wasn't it about ACT?). Your replacement clutch was stock or Exedy?
It was a exedy clutch and i put a revised ACT throwout bearing.
Raven_frs303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frs, neutral, transmission issue