follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2021, 02:07 AM   #1
AlmondChassis

Drives: Subaru BRZ MY16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MAF Reading 131008 g/s

Hello,

Has anyone ever had an issue or something similar with this?
https://datazap.me/u/almondchassis/t...26-31-34-35-43

I'm currently getting a Flex Fuel tune via Ecutek and the car just stalls on start up reading 131008 g/s on the MAF Log. Says 14.7AFR but I can tell it's super rich with the smell of fuel.

The car would idle fine with Stock Tune, as well as OFT Stage 2 that I've had on the car for about 6 months. Weirdly, when reflashing back to stock, then back to the same tune causing the issues, It would idle normally but happens again after I restart the car.

The car also idles normally when I pull out the connection to the MAF sensor.
(Using Stock MAF Housing just with Panel Filter and Mishimoto Inlet tube that shouldn't be causing the issue)

Any ideas to what can be causing the issue or if anyone had something like this happen to them? I got a revised tune that seemed to fix it, but afterwards, on a cold start I get the same issue. I won't be able to talk to the tuner until a couple of days so just wanted to see if anyone experienced this before.
AlmondChassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:22 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Which map sensor do you have ?

I faced something similar activating the Speed density but using a stock map sensor on some of my recent remap
It fixed by using a 3bar map

it's probably due to Auto rom F20Q , i bet it has some kind of bug (not rare with latest racerom versions)

ask delicious to try disabling speed density totally, or to force downgrade to an older Auto rom of the I serie
Or to try an older racerom like 11.1... but i just think somehow the speed density is bugged in your case
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
AlmondChassis (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:27 AM   #3
AlmondChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Which map sensor do you have ?

I faced something similar activating the Speed density but using a stock map sensor on some of my recent remap
It fixed by using a 3bar map

it's probably due to Auto rom F20Q , i bet it has some kind of bug (not rare with latest racerom versions)

ask delicious to try disabling speed density totally, or to force downgrade to an older Auto rom of the I serie
Or to try an older racerom like 11.1... but i just think somehow the speed density is bugged in your case
It's the stock map sensor. The tuner said it was a racerom bug and sent me a revised version that seemed to work, but as I was going to go for a log at night, car ended up with the same problem.
I'll let Delicious know about the SD if that could be causing the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlmondChassis For This Useful Post:
Carsnguitars (04-28-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:32 AM   #4
tomm.brz

it's that 100%

It will fix with a different sensor like 3bar,
but you can keep stock sensor and he can keep using latest racerom 12.1 but ask him to only use maf
Even if he enable hybrid speed density but actually use only maf, it will cause the bug

Now the switch to total maf will throw off his tune work ))
He would need some revisions at least, to make a good job

Just for your info, I think they use speed density because they set the curve the same for each car, so they have same engine load in each car and don't have to retune much. They let the ecu correct the AFR mainly

Last edited by tomm.brz; 04-25-2021 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #5
AlmondChassis

Quote:
it's that 100%

It will fix with a different sensor like 3bar,
but you can keep stock sensor and he can keep using latest racerom 12.1 but ask him to only use maf
Even if he enable hybrid speed density but actually use only maf, it will cause the bug

Now the switch to total maf will throw off his tune work ))
He would need some revisions at least, to make a good job

I think they use speed density because they set the curve the same for each car, so they have same engine load in each car and don't have to retune much. They let the ecu correct the AFR mainly
Why wouldn't SD work with the stock maf sensor though? Or would it just be acting up because of a racerom bug and the Auto rom F20Q?
Old 04-25-2021, 02:47 AM   #6
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondChassis View Post
Why wouldn't SD work with the stock maf sensor though? Or would it just be acting up because of a racerom bug and the Auto rom F20Q?
Yes, it is a bug
other roms are affected
It's latest versions of racerom that introduced bugs and this is one of them
Old 04-25-2021, 05:52 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah agree bunch of bugs in racerom 10/11 especially on auto and on USA roms, European roms seem much better

Tom also noticed that racerom 11/12 the SD seems 10% off entire VE table its weird

same tune on RR10 ok but on RR11/12 the SD is 10% off shown by 10% closed loop correction , adjist SD by 10% then ok but only happens rr11/12
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
AlmondChassis (04-25-2021), tomm.brz (04-25-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
AlmondChassis

Hey Guys,
So RR11.1 seemed to fix the issue with the MAF bug.
The fuel trim seems pretty off though
https://datazap.me/u/almondchassis/3...33-34-38-45-46
It sits at around -16% / -12% and the car even stalled when slowing down going down a driveway.
From what I know negative fuel trims are most likely MAF scaling? I've reverted to stock flash and the Fuel Trim would be around -3% which is fine considering the ecu just got reflashed. Also noticed the rpm jerk when applying throttle, the log you can see the ignition timing completely drop. Would this all be a cause of MAF scaling issues? It's a stock airbox, just a Mishimoto Inlet tube and a drop in filter which I've run for a year just fine on stock/oft tune.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
tomm.brz

well I expected that, always good to have some confirmations
the fuel trims actually are a bit positive, there is also the CL fuel control

He needs either to turn off ltft in open loop, or disable CL fuel control, and do a proper airflow scaling

That would be enough for me to run away from the tuner , he doesn't know how Racerom works and he hasn't read the instruction that ecutek provided,i wouldn't want to pay someone that doesn't know how to properly tune this car, or is lazy. Because the few good tuners around for this know how to make it work in a proficue way

This tune as it is made, will somewhat work on many different cars and will provide decent afr and low detonation, still i find it a shit-tune
Just when I hear that an engine stalls on overrun or at idle it triggers me, sorry for the rant
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #10
AlmondChassis

Quote:
well I expected that, always good to have some confirmations
the fuel trims actually are a bit positive, there is also the CL fuel control

He needs either to turn off ltft in open loop, or disable CL fuel control, and do a proper airflow scaling

That would be enough for me to run away from the tuner , he doesn't know how Racerom works and he hasn't read the instruction that ecutek provided,i wouldn't want to pay someone that doesn't know how to properly tune this car, or is lazy. Because the few good tuners around for this know how to make it work in a proficue way

This tune as it is made, will somewhat work on many different cars and will provide decent afr and low detonation, still i find it a shit-tune
Just when I hear that an engine stalls on overrun or at idle it triggers me, sorry for the rant
This tune is from Delicious, I don't know if Bill is the one doing the tunes still, just didnt expect so many issues with a tune especially NA, the OFT stage 2 tune I had performed way better
Old 05-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
tomm.brz

yes I think he is the one.... With Zach the logs were sooo much different )))

that a OTS Hybrid SD based tune... he flashes this kind of tune to every guy that has similar (i bet also not very same headers also..) config like you... from the SD he gets an identical engine load curve for every car almost, so he doesn't "waste" time ( remember that you PAY for this time ) adjusting the timings and the airflow calculation... he just let both Subaru oem logic and ecutek closed loop adjust everything... only minimal modification are required from him to let the engine run safe
The freak part is , he s having the closed loop systems fighting to each other

I bet your car is quite unsmooth to drive
Old 05-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
AlmondChassis

Quote:
yes I think he is the one.... With Zach the logs were sooo much different )))

that a OTS Hybrid SD based tune... he flashes this kind of tune to every guy that has similar (i bet also not very same headers also..) config like you... from the SD he gets an identical engine load curve for every car almost, so he doesn't "waste" time ( remember that you PAY for this time ) adjusting the timings and the airflow calculation... he just let both Subaru oem logic and ecutek closed loop adjust everything... only minimal modification are required from him to let the engine run safe
The freak part is , he s having the closed loop systems fighting to each other

I bet your car is quite unsmooth to drive
Yeah it's pretty unpleasant, it died twice on the way to work, it's weird it dies on low loads low rpms, doesnt jerk or anything just engine stops. Apparently “but that is up to EcuTeK to provide more info/tables on how to control them correctly. This way I could set where the long terms are active. ” with the fuel trims.

Maybe I should take it local and get a dynotune, sucks because money spent on a headache at this point
Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There is a corruption in the base ecutek ZA1JF20Q rom file, the idle tables specifily idle target #1 the values are way low like 250 rpm idle, if that corruption has been copied accross to the tuners tune then it will cause you stalling issues
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote