follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
ShadowWolf_99

Drives: 10 Series #895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Release/Winjet series headlight mod

So I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to swap out the leds on the drl strip. I don't know if it's possible but I plan on making all the leds RGB and hooking up to a controller as well as putting in halos. That way I have halos on with leds for running lights and turn signals. I want to make them strobe sequentially across the leds yellow and flash the halos yellow. Then while parked or at a meet I can make them all dance. Does anyone know if this is possible. Is access to the leds themselves easy to get to in order to replace. I got soldering skills so no worries there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
There are some kits you can buy I believe. You can also just buy a rgb strip and put in into the headlights
Old 01-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I believe Diode Dynamics sells a kit like that.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
ShadowWolf_99

Garage
If you find a link please post it. Im a workin

Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf_99 View Post
So I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to swap out the leds on the drl strip. I don't know if it's possible but I plan on making all the leds RGB and hooking up to a controller as well as putting in halos. That way I have halos on with leds for running lights and turn signals. I want to make them strobe sequentially across the leds yellow and flash the halos yellow. Then while parked or at a meet I can make them all dance. Does anyone know if this is possible. Is access to the leds themselves easy to get to in order to replace. I got soldering skills so no worries there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
There are some kits you can buy I believe. You can also just buy a rgb strip and put in into the headlights
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
I believe Diode Dynamics sells a kit like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf_99 View Post
If you find a link please post it. Im a workin

There's a difference between the winjets and the Release series, you are referring to the release series which is completely different than the winjets. The winjets you'd have to bake open and do some soldering too. The release series is the OEM JDM type headlights with internal ballasts for the HIDs fully wired and adapted for LHD in the use. Diode Dynamics only sells a DRL always on kit for them:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/always...cion-fr-s.html

and a halo kit for the stock headlights:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/hd-led...fr-s-pair.html

Cutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
ShadowWolf_99

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
There's a difference between the winjets and the Release series, you are referring to the release series which is completely different than the winjets. The winjets you'd have to bake open and do some soldering too. The release series is the OEM JDM type headlights with internal ballasts for the HIDs fully wired and adapted for LHD in the use. Diode Dynamics only sells a DRL always on kit for them:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/always...cion-fr-s.html

and a halo kit for the stock headlights:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/hd-led...fr-s-pair.html

Cutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.

WOW $900+ Sheeeeeet. I may run with that. I could sell them and fund new ones with all the bells and whistles.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
lCutting open and ruining a pair of release series headlights is kind of blasphemy you'd be better off selling them for $900+ and modding winjets or spyders.
I would tend to disagree with you on this.

I have seen several people mod the release series/gt86 lights. The quality of the stock ones are obviously better than the Winjets. So some people would rather spend some money and not buy reps, or just want the reliability of the stock ones. I know that the leaking issues can be traced back to the experience of each person, but I have heard of many winjets that have leaked from new and never heard of stock lights leaking.

Any way, that's just my two cents on that.

-MemphisR